all posts post new thread

Strong mobility

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Wednesday 6th June
Mobility routine, pistol L+R, OLP/OAP L+R.

Snatch session
Snatch, EMOM, 28kg: 7+7, 7+7, 0, 7+7, 5
Had to stop at 5 reps on the last set: some flesh missing. I was not gripping the bell properly. Good lesson for the next time.

Thursday 7th June
Very early morning mobility routine.

In the morning, a few video tutorials (the clean, and a few more on getup and swing corrective). I also started a "summer plan" for pistols and pushup (up to OAP), that I intend to offer for free on my website (in French), so I did a few pistols and hardstyle pushups...

Early evening,
swing session
1H swing, EMOM: 32kg x 10 x 4, 40kg x 10 x 2, 32kg x 10 x 4, 40kg x 10 (R), 32kg x 10 x 2, 40kg x 10 (L), 32kg x 10 x 2
As the 40kg is tiring me a bit, I did 2 sets at 32kg between right and left at 40kg in the second round. That did not help much.
First round at 40kg was quite powerful. Second one not that much. 32kg were all good.
Still pleased with this session, considering I am almost back at 68kg.

Friday 8th June
Morning mobility routine, pistol L+R, OLP-OAP L+R, leg swings.
Single indian club play.

Strength session
Deadlift: 120kg x 3, 4, 3, 4, 3
Only the first two reps were double over-hand. I suppose my grip is still tired from all the swings of yesterday. Despite a fairly low intensity, the bar did not feel as light as I would have liked.

Barbell press: 45kg x 5, 50kg x 3, 4, 45kg x 3, 50kg x 2, 55kg x 1, 50kg x 3, 45kg x 5
First set was not as smooth as I hoped, then it got better. 55kg went up easily, but it did not feel as easy as on Monday.

Today was not my best training day. I then decided to forego all assistance exercises.

Swing session
1H swing, EMOM, 32kg: 6 sets of 10, 1 set of (5+5)

Monday 11th June
Morning mobility routine, pistol L+R, OLP-OAP L+R, single arm indian club play.

Strength session
Barbell press: 45kg x 4, 5, 4, 50kg x 2, 55kg x 1
Deadlift : 120kg x 5, 130kg x 5

Not feeling that well at the beginning of the training. 55kg was ok but slow.

Assistance
Hanging leg raise: 5, 5, 5
Surprisingly good despite little rest between.
Light bench press: 65kg x 5, 5, 5
Good arch, foot position, bar path. Maybe a turning point for the bench?

Mobility
Flexible steel program minimum @20kg.

Swing session
1H-swing, EMOM, 32kg: 14 sets of 10
Felt very crisp and easy. The whole session started in a less than optimal way, but finished strong.

Tuesday 12th June
Morning mobility routine, pistol L+R, OLP-OAP L+R.
At the gym: leg swings.

Strength session
Deadlift: 120kg x 3, 5, 130kg x 4, 140kg x 2, 150kg x 1
Tired grip and thicker bar: I switched to alternate grip after the first rep DOH. The higher volume of swings these days certainly do not help. On the plus side, all lifts were very easy.

Swing session
1H-swing, EMOM, 32kg: 8 sets of 10
Saving time: I did the swings shortly after the deadlifts.

Mobility
Front split work.

Wednesday 13th June
Morning mobility routine, pistol L+R, OLP-OAP L+R single indian club play.

Snatch session
Snatch, 28kg, EMOM: 6+6, 6+6, 0, 6+6, 6+6
Better technique this week. Still not easy... Two more weeks to end the cycle.

Thursday 14th June
Pistol and OAP are more and more solid. It is a very low volume, far from what does GTG, but doing one rep every morning has proved to be effective too, while I am focusing on another priority.

Strength session
Deadlift: 120kg x 3, 4, 5, 140kg x 1, 150kg x 1 :cool:, 120kg x 3, 4
All double overhand (DOH), including the lift at 150kg. 150kg per se is not a PR, but 150kg DOH is! I weight 69,5kg this morning, so it is about 2,15BW DOH. Quite happy with that. :)

Assistance
KB floor press: 28kg x (5+5), 32kg x (3+3), 28kg x (5+5)
28kg with straight legs, 32kg with bend legs. 28kg is easy and 32kg still medium hard.

Friday 14th June

Strength session
Press: 45kg x 5, 4, 50kg x 2, 45kg x 3, 4, 5
Deadlift: 120kg x 3, 4, 3, 4

Assistance
KB Getup: 28kg, 28kg, 32kg, 32kg, 28kg
I am not at the moment at the simple standard in getup, contrary to swings. No hurry, it is not the current priority. I am keeping getup as an assistance exercise, and it ill come back soon enough.

Monday 18th June
Morning mobility routine.

Strength session
Deadlift: 120kg x 3, 5, 130kg x 3, 140kg x 1, 150kg x 1
Mostly alternate grip. Consequently, the lifts were all easy. I am deloading this week. That was the heaviest day until Friday next week.

BB press: 45kg x 4, 6, 50kg x 4

Assistance and mobility
Pistol L+R, OLP-OAP L+R (singles)
Windmill@20kg, 3+3
Flexible steel program minimum @20kg
Z-press @16kg, 3+3, @20kg, 1+1, 3+3, 3+3

Tuesday 19th June

Mobility routine, Pistol L+R, OLP-OAP L+R, leg swings.

Strength session
Barbell press: 45kg x 3, 50kg x 3, 4, 3, 45kg x 8

Assistance
KB Getup: 28kg, 32kg, 28kg, 28kg, 28kg
This time, 32kg felt more solid. As I treat getup as an assistance exercise at the moment, I did not forced it and finish all sets with a 28kg, in a S&S fashion. Without hurrying, I finished in around 11 min. So the 28kg is probably a good weight for practicing getups at the moment without getting tired.

Swing session
1H-swing, 32kg, EMOM: 6 sets of 10
I have not done any swing in a few days, and I have heavy snatches tomorrow, so low volume.

Wednesday 20th June
Morning mobility routine, Pistol L+R, OLP-OAP L+R.

I woke up with a relatively stiff back. It got better in the day, but I did not feel comfortable enough to do snatches. I postponed them to tomorrow.

Thursday 21st June
No routine this morning (except my coffee). The weather is nice, I needed to get in the car as soon as possible to to go and film a few additional videos (clean, press, snatch, getup). I have a few programs (all in french) that will soon be ready to hit the market.

I did not count, but it basically means that I did quite a few swings, getups, cleans, snatches with a 24kg.

I had a good call to postpone my snatch session for today. Yesterday, my back was stiff, but today, it felt great. I indeed had a good snatch session.
Snatch session
Snatch, EMOM, 28kg: 7+7, 7+7, 0, 7+7, 7+7
Better catch this time, in the hook most of the time. The fear factor of letting the bell go when snatching inside makes me over-grip. When outside, there are no bad consequences of letting the bell go: I am not over-gripping, and my hands feel better.
Those are 56 snatches with a 28kg in 5 min...

Friday 22nd June
Mobility routine, Pistol 2L+2R, OLP-OAP L+R, leg swings.

Strength session
Deadlift: 120kg x 3, 4, (DOH), 130kg x 4, 5 (only first 2 DOH), 120kg x 4 (DOH)
I am taking it easy with DOH. As soon as I feel it is not solid enough at the top and that staying in full hip extension is challenging, I switch to alternate grip. It takes time to build.

Barbell press: 45kg x 5, 4, 5
Low volume, low intensity.

Assistance

Mobility
Flexible steel Program minimum @20kg.
Bent arm bar is very solid now at 20kg. Even for mobility work, I may start to use the 24kg a little.
I did relatively slow split switches. I am going relatively low at the end of the circuit without forcing it. This is really a time-efficient yet effective way to keep working mobility. Highly recommended.

Monday 25th June
Morning mobility routine, Pistol 2L+1R, OLP-OAP L+R.
It seems that doing 2 pistols at 6:00 AM is not as easy as one hour later...

Strength session
Deadlift: 120kg x 3, 4, 5, 130kg x 3
Relatively low intensity. All DOH, not hard. Good for Friday's testing.

Barbell press: 45kg x 5, 4, 5, 50kg x 2, 55kg x 1
I forgot 1 set (50kg x 2). It should not derail my plan, but I would have liked those additional reps. Next time, I'll pay more attention to my paper. 55kg was not as easy as I would have liked either.

Assistance
Light bench press: 65kg x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
Compensation for the forgotten double at 50kg at the press, I did 5 sets instead of the intended 3. At this weight, it is technical work. I am starting to feel it more, especially the arch and my lats. I think that the floor press actually helped a lot to feel the lats in this lift.

Swing session
1H-swing, EMOM: 32kg x 10, 10, 10, 10, 40kg x 10, 10, 32kg x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 5+5
No swing since last Tuesday, I was too lazy...
But they felt good today, even the 40kg with a thick handle, that then made the 32kg with a thin handle feel like a toy.

Tuesday 26th June
Morning mobility routine, pistol L+R, OLP-OAP L+R.

Swing session
1H-swing, 32kg, EMOM: 8 sets of 10
Easy session. Average HR 64%, peak HR near the end 83%.

Wednesday 27th June
Mobility routine, pistol L+R, OLP-OAP L+R.

Did a few videos, so a few OAP, OAOLP, and regular pushups.
Then a full S&S session with a 24kg, also for video.

After that, I went to the snatch session, but I was probably a bit tired already.
Snatch session
Snatch, EMOM, 28kg: 8+8, 8+8, 0, 8+6, stop.
The first rep was not pretty (video confirmed that), then it was pretty good for the next 40 or so reps. At the 4th minute on the left, I started to feel the lockout a bit off, so I stopped there. I probably need to up from 7 to 8 more slowly. Last time, in February, I did 8 per hands on the first 2 min, and 7 on the last 2. I should have done the same here.
The big question now is if I will feel comfortable to snatch a 32 for 2 or 3 reps ?

Thursday 28th June
Nothing. At all. Not even mobility work.

Friday 29th June
Morning mobility routine, pistol 2L+2R, OLP-OAP 2L+2R.

End of a cycle, time to test before summer. BW around 70kg.

Barbell press

My priority was the press, so this is what I tested first. The goal was to pass 60kg. With the feeling of 55kg being king of heavy on Monday, and my fail at the snatches on Wednesday, I was a bit worried. But I decided to trust the process and just do as planned.

Barbell press warmup: 45kg x 2, 2, 50kg x 1, 1, 55kg x 1
Plenty of rest in between. The video showed that my clean is not very clean (bouncing at the start, instead of deadlifting then accelerating). But the press by itself felt pretty well all the way to 55kg.

Barbell press test: 60kg x 2 :cool:

My absolute max until now was 60kg for an ugly single, never repeated, and at a bodyweight over 80kg.
I probably had enough for a triple, but played safe to finish on a successful rep. New PR.

Deadlift
The main task was done, but I still wanted to see where I was at the deadlift. Goal was either 160 or 165kg, depending on how I would feel.

Deadlift warmup: 120kg x 2, 2, 130kg x 2, 140kg x 1 (all DOH), 150kg x 1
The lockout at 140kg was good but very short, as I was losing my grip. I switched to a safer overhand for 150kg. It felt good, so I went for 165kg and tried a real PR (I already deadlifted 160kg, again when I was above 80kg).

Deadlift test: 165kg x 1 :cool:
Almost missed. I did not wedge properly at first, and it felt really heavy. I immediately corrected the mistakes, wedged, and it then went up relatively well. New PR.

Jean-François Lopez on Instagram: “Pre-holiday tests, at around 70kg. I went for a single at 60kg for the #press but I felt I could as well try the double. Passed. :)…”

Neither are absolute maxes, there was some reserve. I can use those as new 1TRM.

Now it will be time for less barbell and more bodyweight.

Last edited:
It's test day...
I had to see where I was with a 28kg kettlebell.
So, double kb press: 2x28kg, 1 rep. A sure grind...
Single KB press: 28kg, 4 good reps each side.

I'm not going to try the 32 yet, let's try not to be more stupid.

I am contemplating a cycle of Soju and Tuba with the 28kg in July.

Saturday 30th June

Soju and tuba
4 singles @28kg
GTG (one lift every 30 min or so in the morning).
Technical focus: cleaning the clean (keep the elbow close), push myself away from the bell, actively pull the bell down (one arm chin up). One focus for each part of the lift.
All went well, I have not lost my ability to press the 28.

Sunday 1st July

Monday 2nd July
Pistols and OAP getting more solid. Soon, I will be able to do enough good reps to introduce some waving.

Strength session
Bench press: 67,5kg x 5, 4, 3, 3, 3
Going on a triple progression for some time on the bench press.
Not forcing reps to keep good quality.

Soju and tuba (GTG)
6 singles @28kg

Tuesday 3rd July

Snatch session
Snatch, 24kg, 5 reps every 30 sec, 5 minutes (50 total)
After the cycle with 28kg, I do not feel like going heavy with the 32kg, so I am giving a try with Craig Marker's snatch test protocole. It allows me to train with a "light" 24kg kettlebell, so to also ensure good technique, especially taming the arc.

Mobility
Flexible steel program minimum @24kg

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom