all posts post new thread

Strong mobility

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Wednesday 4th July
Morning mobility routine, pistol 2L+2R, OLP-OAP 2L+2R.

Soju and tuba (GTG)
8 singles @28kg
Approximately 30 minutes between each press.

Snatch session

Snatch, 24kg, 5 reps every 30 sec, 5 minutes (50 total)
After so many snatches with 28kg, the 24kg does not seem that heavy anymore. I intend to do only snatches this summer, to work the finest details I need to improve.
During my snatch test in February, finishing the test was pretty easy (it was only 20kg), but my lockout was less than perfect: I even had 2 no-counts. The main reason is that I was not taming the arc properly and ended up propelling the bell just slightly a bit in front. This is my focus now: taming the arc.
Cues (in sequence): elbow close, punch up, stay 1 sec in the lockout.

Thursday 5th July
Morning mobility routine, pistol 3L+3R, OLP-OAP L+R.
Pistols feel good, I can up the reps, but I am lowering reps of OAP, to ensure good form (one perfect rep).

Snatch session

Friday 6th July
Morning mobility routine, pistol 2L+2R, OLP-OAP L+R.

Soju and tuba (GTG)
10 singles @28kg
Approximately 30 minutes between each press.
(edit: I forgot to put those)

Snatch session
Easier than yesterday.
This all A&A stuff might be working...

Apart from the conditioning effect, I see a lot of improvement in my snatch technique, in just a few days. Gonna keep the high frequency for the summer...

Last edited:
Saturday 7th July
Morning mobility routine, pistol 3L+3R, OLP-OAP L+R.

That's it for today.

Sunday 8th July
Morning mobility routine, pistol 2L+2R, OLP-OAP L+R.
I am starting to unload the opposite foot in OAP, to slowly transition to OAOLPU. I do them with my big toe only touching the floor. Actually, when a OAP is properly done, this foot is already pretty much unloaded!

Soju and tuba (GTG)
12 singles @28kg
Approximately 30 minutes between each press, from 7:30 to 13:00. They feel pretty solid. I am still slightly banging my right arm in cleans, I need to really really tame this arc!

Snatch session
Snatch, 24kg, every 30sec, 20 sets of 5 (100 total, 10 min).
Easy for the first 5 min. Ok for the next 2. "When does it stop?" for the last 3.
I am actually thinking of trying the SSST by the end of the summer. We'll see.

Last edited:
Monday 9th July
Morning mobility routine, pistol 3L+3R, OLP-OAP 2L+2R.

Strength session
Deadlift: 120kg x 7 (DOH), 130kg x 5
New cycle started with the new 1TRM at 165kg, tested a little more than a week ago.

Bench press: 67,5kg x 5, 4, 5, 5, 3

Snatch session

Snatch, 24kg, every 30sec, 14 sets of 5 (70 total, 7 min).
Waving the load. Technique improves fast.

Tuesday 10th July
Morning mobility routine, pistol 3L+3R, OLP-OAP 2L+2R.

Soju and tuba (GTG)
14 singles @28kg
I put an alarm every 30 min on my phone to free my mind and not look at the clock all the time. I am working, and when it rings, I do my single. Started at 8:00, finished at 14:30.
It still is heavy, but it feels easy.

Snatch session
Snatch, 24kg, EMOM, 4 sets of 10, 1 set 5+5 (50 total, 5 min).
Waving. As I do better with long sets during a snatch test, I will also do longer sets in snatch training, but keeping density the same (i.e. increasing rest period accordingly).

Wednesday 11th July
(afternoon) mobility routine, pistol 4L+4R, OLP-OAP L+R.
I had no time this morning, and then forgot. I have made an habit to do this routine everyday, so if I don't do it in the morning for whatever reason, I do it later. Either fully or in an abbreviated version, but I do it.

Snatch session
Snatch, 24kg, every 30sec, 14 sets of 6 (84 total, 7 min).

Last edited:
Thursday 12th July
Morning mobility routine. Pistol 5L+5R, OLP-OAP 2L+2R.
Pistol are getting more and more stable. It is probably a good call to keep BW pistols for a while to improve the skill. I will keep doing them every morning for some more time, waving the volume, before I start loading them.

Soju and tuba (GTG)
3 doubles @28kg
They felt very easy and technically good.
Specialized variety.
After a cycle of Barbell presses, I went to double KB presses for 6 weeks, came back to barbell press for two months to hit a comfortable 2x60kg PR, then am now "taking it easy" with S&T. With vacation plan, I will probably go for a full BW cycle after this (OAOLPU and/or progression to handstand pushup) and then come back to the lovely barbell press.
This is continuity of training process without boredom.

Snatch session
Snatch, 24kg, EMOM, 4 sets of 12, 1 set of 6+6 (60 total, 5 min).
Still not a snatch test, but still not hard either. HR goes up quite a bit, but nothing that I can not recover quickly.
Recovery with nose breathing only. The only mouth breathing is the exhalation for power breathing.

Friday 13th July
Morning mobility routine. Pistol 3L+3R. OLP-OAP 2L+2R.
Pistols a bit crappy today. Not every day is good.

Strength session
Deadlift: 120kg x 4 (DOH), 130kg x 5 (DOH), 140kg x 2 (1 DOH), 150kg x 1, 130kg x 5 (3DOH), 140kg x 4
I am trying not to overdo the double overhand, so I switch to alternate as soon as I feel the grip is starting to weaken. I am pleased I could do 5 reps DOH with 130kg.
Higher volume (NL=21), medium intensity (just below 80%) today. That was a good session.

Snatch session
Snatch, 24kg, every 30sec, 20 sets of 6 (120 total, 10 min).
Not A+A! By the end, I had my HR very high. Still a good session, and it makes me used to the 10 min window.
Now on for two days off snatching.

Saturday 14th July
Morning mobility routine. Pistol 3L+3R. OLP-OAP L+R.

Soju and tuba (GTG)
4 doubles @28kg

Today is known by many as Bastille day, the day where a group of liberators went to the Bastille prison to free poor prisoners from tyranny.
Actually, the goal in 1789 was more pragmatic. Fitghers went to the Invalides for weapons. But they needed powder to use them, and the biggest powder depot was the Bastille. There was only a handful prisoners there, mostly for good reasons, and nobody really cared about them.
Few people know it, even in France, but we actually also celebrate 14th July 1790 (Federation celebration) which marked, one year after the bloody events, the reconciliation of a united people. Only for a brief time...

Monday 16th July
Morning mobility routine. Pistol 4L+4R. OLP-OAP 2L+2R.

Strength session
Deadlift: 120kg x 5, 130kg x 4, 5 (all DOH)
I was supposed to do 130kg x 5, 5, but misloaded the bar. I thought that 130kg felt light. Well, of course, it was only 120. I spent a few minutes digging into my program and made it work by switching two weeks. Now we are back on track.

Bench press: 67,5kg x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
Increasing weight slowly, but still relatively light (under BW). Form is better. I really dislike this lift, and I am not good at it. Which is the one reason I need to work on it.

Soju and tuba (GTG)
5 doubles @28kg

Snatch session
Snatch, 24kg, every 30sec, 14 sets of 6 (84 total, 7 min).

Tuesday 17th July
Morning mobility routine. Pistol 3L+3R. OLP-OAP L+R.

Strength session
Deadlift: 120kg x 5 (DOH), 130kg x 5 (DOH), 140kg x 4 (1 DOH), 160kg x 1, 120kg x 5 (DOH)
Good session today. Weight check: 69,9kg.

Snatch session
Snatch, 24kg, EMOM, 6 sets of 10, 1 set of 5+5 (70 total, 7 min).

Wednesday 18th July
Abbreviated mobility routine. Pistol L+R, OLP-OAP L+R.

Soju and tuba (GTG)
6 doubles @28kg

No snatches today. Letting my low back having some rest.

Thursday 19th July
Morning mobility routine. Pistol 5L+5R. OLP-OAP 3L+3R.
Pistol are good on the left, a bit shacky on the right.

Snatch session
Snatch, 24kg, every 30sec, 20 sets of 5 (100 total, 10 min).
Steady pace., but it is harder for me to do small sets every 30 sec than longer sets every minute.

Friday 20th July
Morning mobility routine. Pistol 2L+2R. OLP-OAP L+R.

Strength session
Deadlift: 120kg x 3, 4, 5 (DOH), 130kg x 3 (1 DOH), 140kg x 4 (alt), 120kg x 4, 5 (all DOH except last rep)
Not a very hard session. The first set felt a bit heavy, but when I refocused and did power breathing prior to the next set, it became a lot better. Get tight, wedge, and everything feels lighter.

Soju and tuba (GTG)
7 doubles @28kg

Some mobility/flexibility work (seated groin stretch, tactical frog).

Snatch session
Snatch, 24kg, EMOM, 4 sets of 14, 1 set of 7+7 (70 total, 5 min).
Of course, I was sweating heavily at the end, but overall it was not hard, and the temperature alone may explain the sweating. I really react better with longer set for snatch marathons. Peak HR was high at 90%, but average at 76%.
More importantly, I was able to keep a proper breathing pattern all along:
- sharp exhalation with hip snaps ;
- one inhalation, by the nose, on the way down (no mouth breathing, and no need for double breathing).

Saturday 21st July
Morning mobility routine. Pistol 4L+4R. OLP-OAP 3L+3R.

Snatch session
Snatch, 24kg, EMOM, 6 sets of 12 (72 total, 6 min).
I was for 10 min, but technique started to decline at the 5th set, so I just finished with the other arm and called it a day. HR was pretty high also almost from the start, so not good conditions for a productive training.

Sunday 22nd July
Morning mobility routine. Pistol L+R. OLP-OAP L+R.

Soju and tuba (GTG)
8 doubles @28kg
In the GTG mode, I simply put an alarm every 30 min, from 8:30 to 12:00.
All doubles felt very solid. This is the last day of doubles, next one I go for triples. In less than two weeks, I test the 32kg bell, which is my current SFG2 bell (I can easily drop 2 kg of fat to reach the 68kg mark with no strength loss). I am not going to SFG2 this year, as the date is not good for me, but it is in my plans for 2019. To be sure, I need to hit at least a 36kg press. Still some work to do, but it does not seem impossible anymore!

Monday 23rd July
Morning mobility routine. Pistol 3L+3R. OLP-OAP 2L+2R.

Strength session
Bench press: 70kg x 5, 3, 3, 2, 2
Stopping as soon as I feel I am not going to have a technically satisfying rep. I could have done more reps everytime, but the bench being my worst lift, the issue is not pure strength (it is only 70kg), but technique. I am taking my time with it.

Deadlift: 120kg x 3, 4, 5 (DOH)
Refreshing session.

Snatch session
Snatch, 24kg, EMOM, 6 sets of 14 (84 total, 6 min).
More reps than Friday, more density, but easier (or rather, not as hard). HR monitor confirmed the feeling.

Tuesday 24th July

Soju and tuba (GTG)
2 triples @28kg
Not hard, but not easy either, as I am not feeling in great shape today (the wine yesterday probably did not help for good sleep - this is what happen when you organize a Toastmasters meeting in a wine cellar...).
I feel confident for the rest of the program, though.

(late) mobility routine, before strength training. Pistol 3L+3R. OLP-OAP L+R.
Strength session
Deadlift: 130kg x 3, 4, 5, 140kg x 4, 150kg x 1, 140kg x 3, 120kg x 2 (misloaded), 130kg x 2, 140kg x 2
Long session, hard, mostly with alternate grip. My grip was weak, which confirmed my feeling of not being in the best shape today. Grip strength is usually a pretty good indicator.

Some mobility/flexibility work (seated groin stretch, tactical frog).

Snatch session
Snatch, EMOM, 6 sets of 10 (60 total, 6 min)
I hesitated after the deadlift session that was heavy in both volume and intensity, but as it was only 10 reps per minute, I did it. HR did not climb too much, so it was good.

Now I need a beer to warm down.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom