all posts post new thread

Strong mobility

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Wednesday 5th September
Morning mobility routine. Pistol 2R+2L. OAOLP L+R.

Nothing planned in term of training, but I had to finish a few videos for a soon-to-come online course (in French) on bodyweight strength training. I had to do quite a few OAP and pistols...

Thursday 6th September
Morning mobility routine. Pistol R+L. OAOLP R+L.

Strength session
Deadlift: 120kg x 5, 130kg x 3, 140kg x 2
BB press: 45kg x 6, 50kg x 5, 55kg x 3, 1

The last few presses were a bit crappy. My OAP of the previous day probably have tired my pushing muscles.

Swing session
1H swing, EMOM: 32kg x 10 reps x 10 sets
No tape available, but I forced myself to keep my mouth closed. In and out through the nose only. Interesting.

Mobility

Front split work mainly.

Friday 7th September
Morning mobility routine. Pistol R+L. OAOLPU R+L.
I am going to do a One-Arm-One-Leg-Push-up each side every morning now, and keep practicing easier versions during the day. The goal is to reach One perfect rep. Not there yet...

Strength session
BB Press: 45kg x 6, 50kg x 5, 55kg x 3, 4, 45kg x 5, 50kg x 6, 55kg x 3
Not easy: high volume and high intensity. I am to recover for the entire weekend. :)

Deadlift: 120kg x 3, 4, 5, 130kg x 4
All alternate grip. I did not feel like trying a double overhand after the volume intensive work from the press.

Later,
Snatch, 24kg, every 30 sec, alternating hands: 4 reps x 32 sets (16 min - 128 reps total)
Mouth taped. Makes things very interesting...

Monday 10th September
Morning mobility routine. Pistol R+L. OLP-OAP: 3L+3R.

Strength session
Deadlift: 120kg x 3, 4, 3 (all DOH, except last one hook grip).
BB Press: 45kg x 5, 50kg x 5

Short, easy session.

Swing session
1H swing, EMOM: 32kg x 10 reps x 12 sets
Mouth taped.

---------------------------------
Tuesday 11th September

Morning mobility routine. OAOLPU: L+R.
GTG additional OAOLPU in the day up to 6 singles each arm in total (S&T, GTG)
They are getting better technically.

Strength session
BB Press: 45kg x 7, 50kg x 5, 55kg x 4, 60kg x 1
That was a slow 60kg lift, but it was technically nice. No excessive lean back, controlled, and active negative. It Feels good to have successfully lifted 60kg twice in this cycle, in normal training (hence not in a peaking mode).

Assistance
Bench press: 65kg x 5, 5, 5

Swing session

1H swing, EMOM: 32kg x 10 reps x 8 sets
Mouth taped.
I am not complicating the swing/snatch part of training. I am going to Strong endurance in two weeks, so I can wait until then to start a more sophisticated program.
Meantime, I am just swinging the good old 32kg EMOM for 10 reps, varying the number of sets. Snatches are with the 24kg with increasing density (alla Brett Jones for the SFG prep).

Mobilty work (side split work, cossack, etc).

Last edited:
Wednesday 12th September
Abbreviated mobility routine.

I was not supposed to do the snatches today, but as I am travelling this weekend to Budapest for the Oxygen advantage certification, I had to do them a bit in advance.

Snatch, 24kg, every 30 sec, alternating hands: 5 reps x 32 sets (12 min - 120 reps total)
I wanted to do 15 min, but stopped at 12, because I was starting to have a slight deterioration in both technique and power (they are related anyway). I prefer to take time and favour quality reps.
Additionally, I have made them a bit harder for me:
- I usually do better usually with 5+5 EMOM, than 5 every 30sec,
- I force nose breathing with mouth-taping,
- I stick to bio-mechanical breathing and no double breathing.
It will be harder and longer to reach the snatch test with the 24 in those conditions, but I am also expecting it to be more long-lasting results.

Thursday 13th September
Early morning mobility routine. Leg swings.

Strength session
Deadlift: 120kg x 4, 130kg x 3, 5, 140kg x 2
BB press: 50kg x 4, 55kg x 2, 50kg x 5

A few pistols in-between.

OAOLPU: 8 singles, GTG style.

Swing session
1H-swing, EMOM: 32kg x 10 reps x 8 sets

Travelling to Budapest for Oxygen advantage certification. I had to do my training early, so that we can at least enjoy some free time there today.

Friday to Sunday
Oxygen advantage weekend, with Patrick McKeown. Lot of learning, both in theory and practice. One of the very rare breathing approach that I have seen backed by both a lot of anecdotal evidence AND good science (both explanations and scientific papers).

Now, I just need to finalize my exam and my case studies.

jef-with-patrick-mc-keown

As for training, I managed to do my 10 OAOLPU in GTG on Saturday; although not all of them were super high quality, I have to admit.

Monday 17th September
Abbreviated morning mobility routine.

Strength session
Deadlift: 120kg x 6, 130kg x 4
BB press: 45kg x 8, 50kg x 5

OAOLPU, GTG: 12 singles (both sides)

Tuesday 18th September
Morning mobility routine.

Strength session
BB press: 50kg x 3, 4, 5, 55kg x 3
I was a bit distracted today, and my fourth rep at 55kg was too much in front, not following a straight line up. Missed this one.
Deadlift: 130kg x 3, 4, 140kg x 3, 150kg x 1, 140kg x 2
All alternate grip. I don't feel very well today, so I am taking it easy.
BB press: 55kg x 1
Just to have my fourth rep and the planned volume. More focused. So it was easy. The press is really more mental than physical.

Swing session
1H swing, EMOM, 32kg x 10 reps x 10 sets

Easy mobility/flexibility work throughout the day.

Wednesday 19th September

OAOLPU, GTG: 14 singles (both sides)
That's a lot. Happy to reduce volume already. :)

Not feeling to do any kind of ballistics. No swings today.

Anyway, it is less than two weeks before Strong endurance, so I will probably test a new swings/snatches program when I come back.

Thursday : nothing. And it felt good.

Friday 21st September

Strength session
BB press: 45kg x 4, 5, 4, 60kg x 3, 4
Solid. Felt a lot better than at the beginning of the week. Sometimes, doing nothing is the best.
Deadlift: 120kg x 4, 130kg x 3, 5, 140kg x 2, 130kg x 3
Weight check: 69,2kg. Only first 7 reps DOH. My grip is lacking a bit lately.

OAOLPU, GTG: 3 doubles (both sides)
The last double was not super clean, but the first two were quite nice. I was surprised, because the singles do not feel easy, and I wondered how the doubles would go. I am ensuring depth by touching the floor with the chest.
It is also nice to have such a reduction of volume after the day of 14 singles...

Sunday 23rd September
Usual morning routine: light breathing for 10 minutes, coffee, joint mobility.

OAOLPU, GTG: 4 doubles (both sides)
I had time to do 3 doubles in the morning before leaving the house. I had to do the last double in the evening after dinner and a few beers. Surprisingly, it went quite well.
Greasing the groove with the one-arm-one-leg pushup has been very powerful so far. I feel much more in control of the movement, and it has not negatively affected the rest of my training.

Monday 24th September
Light breathing 10 min. Morning mobility routine.

Strength session
BB press: 45kg x 4, 50kg x 3, 4, 55kg x 2, 60kg x 1
All good. 60kg is still going up, with no need to program a peak. I will finish this cycle and then maybe switch to a KB pressing program for a cycle. Same but different.

Deadlift: 120kg x 6 (DOH), 130kg x 5 (1 DOH), 140kg x 2
Light and small session.

Swing session
1H swing, 32kg, EMOM: 10 sets of 10 reps

Mobility
Loaded cossack squats.
Sitting groin/adductor stretch.

Tuesday 25th September
Light breathing 10 min. Mobility routine.

Strength session
Deadlift: 120kg x 8 (DOH), 130kg x 5 (1 DOH), 140kg x 4, 160kg x 1
160kg is still passing relatively easily, in a non-peaking training. Consolidating the base with lower weight do not cause to lose strength.

Mobility
Loaded cossack, 20kg. Still keeping it light.
Grab the KB by the handle, like in a goblet squat. Then descend in a cossack squat as low as possible, while maintaining neutral spine and staying tall (proud chest). Then, with the help of curling the bell, lower the cheek down to the floor. Repeat 5 times, change side, rest.
Repeat the whole process 3 times.

Swing session
1H swing, 32kg, EMOM: 8 sets of 10 reps

OAOLPU, GTG: 5 doubles (both sides)

Wednesday 26th September

Swing session
1H swing, 32kg, EMOM: 12 sets of 10 reps

-------------------------------
Thursday 27th September

BB press: 50kg x 3, 5, 3, 55kg x 3, 50kg x 3, 4, 3
A bit long, but not too taxing.
Deadlift: 120kg x 3, 4 (DOH), 5, 140kg x 4, 120kg x 6
Better wedge this time. Slightly higher volume than usual, just before the travel to Vicenza (Strong endurance).

Loaded cossack squats @24kg.

OAOLPU, GTG: 6 doubles (both sides)
It was hard. Time to deload.

Weekend: Strong endurance in Vicenza.
As usual, the event was extremely well organized by Fabio and his team. The Italian food and wine are unfortunately excellent and I increase my bodyweight by at least 3 kg in 3 days. It is going down again.
The scientific part of Strong endurance is heavy (good, I like that), and the applications are plenty.
I highly recommend this course to anybody who is serious about training and health.
I managed to finally get a proper OAOLPU to recertify my SFB, so it was a productive weekend.

And of course, I had the occasion to meet IRL @Harald Motz
It is always nice to talk face to face with people you only knew online.
jef-harald.jpg

Tuesday 2nd October
Back to business. Breathing light 10 min. Mobility routine.

Strength session
BB press: 45kg x 4, 50kg x 4, 45kg x 5, 50kg x 5
Not feeling very well yet, it was harder than expected.

Deadlift: 120kg x 4, 5, 4, 130kg x 3, 140kg x 2, 3, 150kg x 1, 130kg x 3, 5
It's only at 150kg that I started to feel the movement well. Tough start of lifting week.

No swings, no snatches. I am reading through the Strong endurance manual before deciding what to do next.

Hi Jef, it was great to meet you. My pleasure. Congratulations on your recert, well done.

No swings, no snatches. I am reading through the Strong endurance manual before deciding what to do next.
I am very fortunate, that I am into Alactic Repeats for almost three years now, so I just keep on snatching and reading. The manual is a well of a resource both theoretically and practically. It confirms my trust into A+A. This is the route I want to travel further.

...when you don't pass the read test anymore, close the information faucet go outside snatch repeats for fives for 20-40min...

Reactions: jef
Wednesday at rest.

Thursday 4th October
Light breathing. Mobility routine.

Strength session
Deadlift: 120kg x 9 (DOH. Feels like cardio...), 130kg x 5 (2 DOH), 140kg x 3
Solid today. Good wedge.

BB press: 45kg x 4, 50kg x 4, 45kg x 6
Light weight. Focusing on the clean part of the lift.

Mobility
Cossack squat @24kg and a few RIS stretches.

Friday 5th October

Strength session
BB Press: 50kg x 5, 3, 55kg x 2, 50kg x 5, 55kg x 4, 50kg x 3, 4, 5
Funny, it felt easier than the lighter session on Tuesday. My BOLT was also higher this morning. Correlations...

Deadlift: 130kg x 4, 140kg x 4, 130kg x 3, 4, 5
Only first two reps were DOH. I played safe and switched to an alternate grip for the remaining of the session, focusing on ensuring I had a good wedge before moving the bar.

The whole session felt easy. One of those days.

Later, entry test for Strong endurance plan 044C, with a 24kg. I am good to do the program with it.

This weekend, we go for a week of vacation. No program. Maybe a few bodyweight drills, for fun.

A week of rest in Cyprus, where all I did were a few one-arm pushups and cossack squats, and one session of IHHT. And a lot of eating and drinking.

Monday 15th October
Morning mobility routine + leg swings.

Strength session
BB press: 45kg x 7 (cardio...), 50kg x 4, 5
Despite the week off, it was all easy.

Deadlift: 120kg x 5 (DOH), 130kg x 3 (1 DOH), 4
Easy start of a new cycle.

For both presses and deadlifts, I am on a consolidating cycle, not focusing on increasing load, but just improving technique. I stay with the same 1TRM. The goal is still to get this bodyweight barbell press, but I know it is going to take some time.

Conditioning
Time to apply what I saw at Strong Endurance.
Plan 044C, first session.
Simple, not easy. I like it.
Followed by 3 triple presses @24kg, L+R.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom