all posts post new thread

Strong mobility

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Tuesday 12th May
Mobility. Getup 16kg x 8.

Q&D
Snatch: 24kg , 5/4, 60 reps
Waooh! The bell feels light! Power is a bit higher than 6 weeks ago. It almost (almost) feels like I could do Q&D with the 28. Not now, but maybe at the next cycle.
As Pavel writes in the book, if it is too light, just add more power!

Thursday 14th May
Mobility.
Getup, 16kg x 2.
I did the getups with closed eyes. Mindfulness is really, really needed, even with a light weight. It teaches a lot about solid, controlled transition and balance.

Strong!
2KB Front squat: (2 x 28kg) x 3/8
Good feeling on the clean. Controlled, no banging, not hard. The squat also feels better and volume as less tiring than last week. But I would lie if I pretended I am not looking forward the end of the program! I am still on it only because of discipline, because I planned to. I don't enjoy the program itself, but I sure enjoy the results: my 2x28kg front squats for 3 reps are more solid than the singles I did a few weeks ago.
It simply works.

Friday 15th May
Getups 16kg x 4.

Many small things to do today. I had time, but no real opportunity to do a good Q&D session. No big deal, I'll do it tomorrow.

Saturday 16th May
Mobility.

Q&D
Snatch: 24kg , 5/4, 100 reps

Sunday 17th May
Mobility. Getups, 16kg x 8.
Test pistol + OAOLPU (not smooth).

Monday 18th May
Mobility. Getups, 16kg x 10.

Strong!
2KB Front squat: (24 + 32kg) x 2/2
As I had not my 28s available, I went with a mix of a 24 and a 32. It sure is an interesting approach, but it was clear very soon that I am not ready yet for such a discrepancy of weights. I will come back to this later, but not today.
After getting back home home this afternoon, I will just do my regular 28x2 for 10 sets of 2 reps.

Tuesday 19th May
Mobility. Getup, 16kg x 10.

Q&D
Snatch: 24kg , 5/4-10/2, 60 reps
It feels very good. I really like this alternance of Q&D and A&A, and I see myself keeping it for a long time.
Reading this (excellent) article did not convince me. I already was!

Wednesday 20th May
Mobility and getups (16kg x 10).
It's interesting how light getups can be useful to understand the movement. We probably don't do them enough.

Thursday 21st May

Strong!
2KB Front squat: (2 x 28kg) x 3/9
The clean is mostly good (my right forearm does not hurt anymore). The squat is feeling very good with the narrower stance.
That's a lot of reps. One more week (10 sets next Thursday) and then I'll test.

Most people feel that Strong! is too easy when they start, so they want to add this or that, use heavier weights, etc.
Well, wait until you do almost all of your sessions with close to 10 sets and you will understand why Geoff Neupert said not to!

Later: the usual mobility/technique work with the non-stressful 16kg (8 getups).

Friday 22nd May
Mobility.

Q&D
Snatch: 24kg , 5/4, 40 reps
Average HR 116. My lowest so far (granted, it was also a very short session). The amazing part is that the kettlebell feels light, almost as if I was snatching a 16kg.

Practice: Getups. 16kg x 4, 24kg x 2, 16kg x 4. Continuous, no rest. Technical work.

Saturday 23rd May

Q&D
Snatch: 24kg , 10/2, 80 reps
Not planned, but I just wanted to snatch. :)

Practice
Getup, 16kg x 4, 24kg x 4, 16kg x 4

Monday 25th May
Mobility.
Practice:
Getups, 16kg x 2, 24kg x 2, 16kg x 2

Strong!
2KB Front squat: (2 x 28g) x 2/10
The usual boring yet effective session. The clean feels cleaner and the squat feels solid.
One more week of phase 1.

Tuesday 26th May
Mobility.

Q&D
Snatch: 24kg , 5/4-10/2, 60 reps
Average HR at 115. Good.

Wednesday 27th May
Practice:
Getups, 16kg x 2, 24kg x 4, 16kg x 2

And again later:
Getups, 16kg x 2, 24kg x 2

Thursday 28th May - the day of 28s
Mobility.

Practice
Getups, 28kg x 2.
Just one per side. I thought it would not be easy, as I have done almost no getup for a long time, and started again light just a few weeks ago. This is the nice surprise of the benefit of light practice on technique.
Floor pressing was not hard. It did not feel light, but I expected it to be much harder. I did not have to overtense.
Then the getup itself, with all positions well reinforced by my lighter practice, was smooth and always under control.
I am nicely surprised.
Now, I am not going to do many getups above 24kg till I finish my cycle of Strong! (soon enough), but it is very nice to see that it is still there even without going heavy.

Strong!
2KB Front squat: (2 x 28g) x 3/10
This was my last high volume "high" intensity session for this cycle. On Tuesday is the usual 2/10, so one third less volume and on Thursday next week I test RM in the front squat.
I am curious, because triples are not very hard now, I fell that they are way more controlled and solid than even the singles when I started, but I also suspect that maintaining good form after a few reps is going to be a challenge. One set of 5 reps might be very well much harder that multiple triples. We'll see.

Friday 29th May
Mobility.

Practice:
Getups, 16kg x 2, 24kg x 4, 16kg x 2

Q&D
Snatch: 24kg , 5/4, 100 reps
Average HR at 113. Even lower than Tuesday! Max HR was also lower, despite a similar (and actually more regular) power output.
Something is happening.

Saturday 30th May
Mobility.

Practice:
Getups, 16kg x 4, 24kg x 4, 16kg x 2

Q&D
Snatch: 24kg , 5/4, 60 reps

Monday 1st June
Mobility.

Practice:
Getups, 16kg x 4, 24kg x 4, 16kg x 4

Strong!
2KB Front squat: (2 x 28g) x 2/10

Tuesday 2nd June
Mobility.

Practice:
Getups, 28kg x 2

Q&D
Snatch: 24kg , 10/2, 100 reps
That was tiring. Now that I have improved my power output, I feel the difference between 5 reps every 30 sec or 10 reps every minute. I used to prefer 10 reps. Now, I dream for 5/4 sessions!

Wednesday 3rd June
Mobility.

Practice:
Getups, 16kg x 2, 24kg x 2, 28kg x 2
I have been neglecting the getup for too long. Doing them everyday makes me feel better, in term of mobility. Seeing how the 28 feels, I think I can be back to 32kg and Simple relatively fast. I don't need to push it , so I will take my time and continue to just practice daily getups.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom