all posts post new thread

Strong mobility

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Monday 7th September
Mobility routine.

Plan 410AB Phase 2, W1D1
KB presses, 28kg.

2KB front squat, (2 x 24kg) x 5/3

Just maintenance for the squat.

GTG snatch, 24kg, by 4/3.

Tuesday 8th September
Mobility.

Plan 060, phase 2
Light snatches, 16kg, 12 min, 180 reps.
Around the threshold, but a bit less than the previous session within the same timing. It is getting better, even though it is only the second session at this density. But I can see it is going to take some time!

I keep those, but I vary the load a lot, so it is not anymore Fabio's program, with 8 series per day. It is an excellent way to keep the groove with powerful heavier snatches, while building a base with 060. I wonder how it is going to work for my next snatch test (in a bit more than two months).

Flexibility:
For the second day, I am working again back to my splits, but with a structured program, inspired by all I could learn from Pavel, Tom Kurz, Jon Engum and many others. It is 4 times a week and is as much strength work as it is flexibility. And yes, it is tough!

Wednesday 9th September
Mobility.

Plan 410AB Phase 2, W1D2
KB presses, 28kg.
32kg loaded clean and jerk with active negative after each ladder.

Not easy. It is going to be a tough 6 weeks...

2KB front squat, (2 x 28kg) x 5/2.
With wide stance, to assist in the quest for the splits.

Thursday 10th September
Mobility.

Plan 060, phase 2
Light snatches, 16kg, 16 min, 240 reps.

Isometrics.

Saturday 12th September
Mobility.

I was energy-less yesterday (both physically and mentally), so I transferred my whole strength-flexibility session to today. Not ideal, but better than doing non-quality work. I just did a couple of snatch series with 24kg.

Plan 410AB Phase 2, W1D3
KB presses, 28kg.
It is crazy how much of a mental lift the press is. I almost missed the 3rd rep of my first two ladders on the left (I had to assure the move with my other hand to make it) while it was absolutely no problem for the remaining ladders with more fatigue.
I think I need to do more visualisation of this lift to pass my mental gate.

2KB front squat, (2 x 24kg) x 5/3.
With wide stance, feet parallel to assist in the quest for the splits.

Flexibility
Specific strength: high rep leg butterfly (60 reps), high reps legs curls with additional weight (1kg, 60 reps).
Then isometrics. Medium intensity.
And FS PM afterward.

And the programme du jour,
Plan 060, phase 2
Light snatches, 16kg, 20 min, 300 reps.
Despite the high volume of strength work done before in the day, it did go pretty well. I stayed at 20 minutes, but HR profile was similar to last week, and I was expecting much worse! So it is indeed progress...

Sunday 13th September
Mobility.

It was supposed to be a resting day, but I was home alone, progressing well on some work, and a few snatches were just a nice way to rest from work. :)
GTG snatch, 24kg, by 4/3. 5 times.

I also need to ensure my OAOLPU is good, so I did 4 singles, just to make sure...

Monday 14th September
Mobility.

Back on track.
Plan 410AB Phase 2, W2D1
KB presses, 28kg.
Same session for the third time in a row, and it was good! No issue on the presses, good cleans, tightness when I needed it. After a first week with some self-doubts, this one starts very well.

2KB front squat, (2 x 24kg) x 5/3.
Light and easy.
Playing with various stances.

Flexibility
Specific strength training for the splits, and isometric work, light day.
Finished with FS PM.

And a few...

Tuesday 15th September
Mobility.

Plan 060, phase 2
Not my best performance. Not bad HR profile, but not great either.

It is a bank holiday, we are in the country-side, I am more motivated by wine and beer than stretching. Session postponed by one day.

I still managed to do 5 more or less good OAOLPU and a few indian clubs swings.

Wednesday 16th September
Mobility.

Plan 410AB Phase 2, W2D2
KB presses, 28kg.
Low volume, and a 32kg power clean and jerk after each ladder.

I hurt a bit my lower back while putting the 32kg back to storage. Not even while cleaning or jerking it. I was able to finish press ladders with an extra attention to be tight, but no squats.

Flexibility
Specific strength training for the splits, and isometric work, medium day (yesterday's session).

Pain increasing during the day. Classic, I know it, it already happened along the years (before and after I got back in shape - it just lasts a lot less nowadays). The night was ok, but not great. It is a bit better this morning, but I prefer to stop all training this week except flexibility and easy mobility. I won't lose fitness within a few days.

Hope you heal quickly @jef
Thanks. It is already better today.
I am cancelling all planned training this week, while still moving (with attention). I will probably be able to restart on Monday, repeating this week's program.

I hurt a bit my lower back while putting the 32kg back to storage. Not even while cleaning or jerking it.

This is interesting.

I have rarely ever gotten hurt doing the main part of training. I've been hurt doing some flavor of competition plenty of times. And that's to be expected - trying to find or push your boundaries always carries a risk of injury.

But aside from those cases, my training-related injuries always seem to come from doing something that one would expect to be "easy". My back went out once on an light goblet squat. Got a sprained wrist from doing light medicine ball tosses. This week, an aggravated elbow coming from a mobility session (I suspect dips are the culprit).

Must be some mental focus aspect. The damage is there regardless. But during the main part of training, perhaps the body is better able to compensate for the damage as a result of more mental focus? And when things get "easy", the compensation is lost, and the damage is exposed.

Heal fast, sir.

@WhatWouldHulkDo
Indeed.
When I look back, I hurt myself in the same manner when deadlifting 80kg (many years back, my max was a bit above 100kg), when deadlifting 120kg (max being above 150kg), and even once my leg while warming up squats with a 20kg barbell (sharp pain in the abductors).
Everytime with relatively light weights.
I know I have to respect the weight, but sometimes I forget and have less than optimal form with a weight that is light for me, but still not weightless. Lessons learned... so many times!

Anyway, many years ago, when I was completely out of shape, my worst injury was when I opened my oven! No load at all... It was so bad I had to stay in bed for a full day...

For this one, it is ok. I still feel it today, but I can move easily. No presses tomorrow, but I will ba able to do isometric stretches. Monday, back to normal.

Weekend
Mobility in the morning.

Flexibility
I was able to work on isometrics. Friday, light, Saturday medium.
I cancelled all other work, so no snatches. Back is feeling a lot better.

Monday 21st September
Mobility.

Plan 410AB Phase 2, W2D1
KB presses, 28kg.
I restarted last week program. It went very well, easier than last week. I pay extra attention to tightness...
Apart from the cleans, I don't do any ballistic today.

2KB Front squat: (2 x 24kg) x 5/3 (in a kibadachi stance).

Flexibility
Isometrics, light day.

And a few OAOLPU.

Tuesday 22nd September
Mobility.

Plan 060, phase 2
Back is ok, light snatches are good to test if ballistics are manageable. HR profile was not great, but overall, it was a good session.

Flexibility
Isometrics, medium day.

Wednesday 23rd September
Mobility.

Plan 410AB Phase 2, W2D2
KB presses, 28kg and 32kg jerk after each ladder.
It felt very strong today. I even checked the bell to be sure it was not a 24kg! 32 still feels heavy on the active negative, but I am getting used to it.

2KB Front squat: (2 x 28kg) x 5/2 in a kibadachi stance.

And (just a few) OAOLPU, GTG style. They feel good.

Thursday 24th September
Mobility.

Plan 060, phase 2

Flexibility
Isometrics, light day.

Friday 25th September
Mobility.

Plan 410AB Phase 2, W2D3
KB presses, 28kg.
Good session.

2KB Front squat: (2 x 24kg) x 5/3 in a kibadachi stance.

Flexibility
Isometrics, medium day.

Saturday 26th September
Mobility.

Plan 060, phase 2
Light snatches, 16kg, 27 min, 410 reps.
It was just going so well! When HR started to have a hard time to go down during the few seconds of rests between sets, I stopped, to stay on the conservative side. Excellent session.

Monday 27th September
Mobility.

Plan 410AB Phase 2, W3D1
KB presses, 28kg.
Small reduction in volume, one rung more in the ladders, up to 4 reps. It was solid.

2KB Front squat: (2 x 24kg) x 5/3 in a kibadachi stance.

Flexibility
Isometrics, light day.

And a few OAOLPU.

Tuesday 28th September

Plan 060, phase 2
Not as good as Saturday, but better than Thursday. Progress is not linear with this plan.

Flexibility
Isometrics, heavy day.

Wednesday 23rd September
Mobility.

Plan 410AB Phase 2, W3D2
KB presses, 28kg and 32kg jerk after each ladder.

2KB Front squat: (2 x 28kg) x 5/2 in a kibadachi stance.

And a few OAOLPU, GTG style.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom