all posts post new thread

Strong mobility

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Friday 16th April
Switch split x 10/3
Goblet squats: 32kg x 5/3
1H Swings: 32kg x 5/20 EMOM. Same as Wednesday. Average HR lower by 5 beats (115 vs 120). Max lower by 6 beats (138 vs 143).
Getup, no rush, 28kg x 10.

Saturday 17th April
Weekly mini snatch-test, 24kg, 2 min, 20+20+10 (I think... still have trouble to count with high rep snatching).

Monday 19th April
Switch split x 10/3
Goblet squats: 32kg x 5/3
2H Swings: 32kg x 5/20 EMOM.
Of course it felt easy, but HR was higher on average that my first session of only 1H swings. I suppose that the first vaccine shot I had yesterday is using some resource.
Getup, 24kg x 2, with long pause, technical work. As expected, I feel a small muscular pain where the shot was done (like a bruise), so I did not push too much on getups. One rep each side is enough for today. I'll do more next time. Time for recovery.

Last edited:
Tuesday 20th April
Some light flexibility work.

Wednesday 21st April
Goblet squat: 32kg x 5/3
1H-SW: 32kg x 5/18 (every 30 sec).
I stopped way before failure of the talk test. I want to keep my HR as low as I can, so I did not push.
Half getup: 32kg x (1+1)/5

Thursday 22nd April
Light flexibility work.

Friday 23rd April
Goblet squat: 32kg x 5/3
1H-SW: 32kg x 5/18 (every 30 sec).
Actually not as good a Wednesday. :/
Later that day: Getup, 28kg, (1+1)/5
Easy, not rushed.

Sunday 25th April
Weekly mini snatch-test, 24kg, 2 min, 20+20...
I filmed it. Actually, that was 26+19, with a small pause in the middle to change my position and the angle view. I am still at 45 reps with biomechanical breathing, so not too bad, but I need to be better at counting!

Then later,
Move prep: switch splits x 10/3
Heavy flexibility work:
Ultra-wide kibadachi goblet squat, 8kg x 5/3
Ultra-wide kibadachi push press, 8kg x 5/2
Straddle and tactical frog.

Again a long period without filling my log...

I have been following the boring and effective program of swings and getup, before transitioning to Soju and Tuba with a 24kg (to grease the groove of the press), then with 28kg (just for a few singles), and also adding a short snatch test peaking period.

For the snatch peaking, I used the Al Ciampa approach, for about 2 weeks:
- a session every second day (so 3,33 a week).
- 2 minutes of snatches with the 24 (that I always did continuously: 20+20+whatever I had time to do). Most of the time, 45 to 48 reps. Bio-mechanical breathing all along. No rushing.
- 10 min of recovery
- medium day --> additional blocks of 2 min with the 24kg, with a 2/1 rest/work ratio. Not setting the bell down during a block. My hands always had enough after two more sets (way sooner than I expected - reality check).
- heavy day --> additional blocks of 1 min with the 28kg, with a 2/1 rest/work ratio. Not setting the bell down during a block. My hands always had enough after two more sets too. I could almost say 1,5 sets...
- light day --> additional blocks of 3 min with the 16kg (I have no 20), with a 2/1 rest/work ratio. Not setting the bell down during a block. 2 to 3 blocks.

On Saturday 22nd May, I did around 4 minutes for the light blocks, the goal being to do 100 snatches continuously, without putting the bell down, in the rythm of the snatch test and always breathing bio-mechanically.
I did 25+25+25+26 the first round (cannot count right when it's high rep - video helps afterward to check).
Then 18+19+16+15+10+10+12 (the plan was 20+20+15+15+10+10+10, my snatch test sequence of choice, but I lose count easily when I snatch).

Monday 24th May
Last snatch session before testing.
24kg. 22+20+6 (48) in two minutes.
Then 15+15+10+5 (45), and 10+10+10+10 (40). Enough. Let the arrow fly.

Tuesday 25th May
Checking double clean @24kg (where I need to work a lot), double front squat @24, OAOLPU both sides. No more. Let the arrow fly.

Wednesday 26th May
Travel to Paris. Lunch under the sun on a terrace (steak, potatoes, glass of wine).

Thursday 27th May
Flexible steel certification, as an assistant under the lead of the excellent @Pavel Macek
I learned a lot.

Re-test of all SFG1 skills. Snatch test.
I was freakingly light, so could use the 20kg for the test. Done in 4min05 (I did not ask, I was told) with the 20+20+15+15+10+10+10 sequence. I think I heard about this sequence for the first time from Dan John, and I really like it. Psychologically easier for me.

Unified recert SFL+SFB.
I have not been practicing OAOLPU, just checking a few times before the recert. It passed all the standard. Of course, as Fabio Zonin says: was it good ? YES. Can it be better? YES. After discussion with my tester, I know what I should focus on.
Deadlift: being freakingly light made it easy (137,5kg). Once the DL is built, I found that my bodyweight has little influence on my max.
Press: 45kg x 5. Normally a very light weight for me. This time the last 2 reps were legal, but not so easy. I need another steak.

Friday to Sunday 28-30th May
SFG1 in Paris as an assistant.
I again learnt a lot, from the teachers at the cert, from the students I was with, from my pairs.

My observations:
1. My snatch test surely was not a walk in the park, but neither was it a big physical challenge.
First I prepared to be able to do it with the 24kg. First choice is always to be stronger.
Second, as I am close to the weight limit, I paid attention to my diet so that I could do it with 20kg. One additional safety net.
Third, I have built a base, and with a 2-weeks glycolitic peaking, I know I can ace the test with no issue.

Fourth. I always hear about doing the snatch test faster. I prefer to aim to a snatch test with all 100 snatches with biomechanical breathing and good technique than a fast test.
One candidate asked me on Sunday: "What was my time?". I answered "Less than 5 minutes. I don't know the exact time. I don't care. Your snatches were perfect until the last one, that is much more important in my opinion.".

2. I have not worked specifically on my OAOLPU (just checked a few weeks before to be sure). I also had NO access to barbell in a year. I still passed the recert for SFB+SFL.
The technique was there. The principles are the same in all modalities. Training with kettlebells only this year still had transfer to other modalities.

Now I am in a light week to recover.

Thursday 3rd June

Next goal is to certify SFG2 (probably end of November).

For all the double bell lifts, it is simple: re-read Strong!, review the videos, and apply!

Today was focused on the rack: a double clean, and then spending time on the rack, checking the list of pointers in my head.
This will be my focus for the next few days. No hurry, let's cover the base first.

Then, on Monday, I start Strong! twice a week with 2x24kg. It will make me work the double clean (that I really need to clean up) and get me stronger in the press.
And twice a week, 044 with a 24kg. Because I love it. :)

That should keep me busy for the summer, and getting me closer to my goal.

Monday 7th June
New phase. Let's get ready for SFG II.

Today, I started Strong ! Phase 1. A pair of 24kg bells seem to be right at my current upper body strength. It's also a perfect preparation for SFG2 double bell movements, as well as getting stronger in the press.
The fact that this a Clean and press program will also ensure that I work on my double clean, which needs a lot of refinement.
Specifically for the double clean, something clicked on Wednesday, when I was retesting. Thanks to my colleague Quentin: he probably pointed out the little detail that made my double clean crappy, while my single clean was quite ok.
This is why even coaches need coaches.

Strong !
2KB PR: (2 x 24kg) x 1/10
I dit it EMOM. It left me enough time to recover and focus on technique (double clean: thinking UP - press: mental checklist). All was done in 10 minutes.

Not hard. Not super easy either. Just right.

Now: reading and reviewing the Strong! videos. Again and again.

Tuesday 8th June

Q&D - 044
24kg, 5/4, 40 reps.
Start of a new cycle, so low volume and shortest sets.

Thursday 10th June

Strong !
2KB CL&PR: (2 x 24kg) x 2/5

Not as easy as I expected. I have lost a bit of upper body strength by neglecting the press for some time. Anyway, it also indicates that 2x24kg is probably the right weight for me at this moment.
My double clean has improved.

Saturday 12th June

Strong !
2KB CL&PR: (2 x 24kg) x 1/10

Change of plan. Following Thursday's session which was "just right", I have decided to stop the additional 2 snatches sessions per week and to follow the exact framework of the program. So it is Strong! phase 1 three times per week. From next Monday, I follow a M-W-F schedule.

Monday 14th June

Strong !
2KB CL&PR: (2 x 24kg) x 2/6

Much better than on Thursday. My clean is not perfect yet, but it 's getting right. For the press, I sometimes forget to go through the checklist. Big mistake. The checklist does not take time, and it makes the press much stronger!

Wednesday 16th June

Strong !

Friday 18th June

Strong !
2KB CL&PR: (2 x 24kg) x 2/7

Monday 21st June

Summer time.

Strong !
Getting easier. Better clean. Better press. Better feeling all over.

Flexibility work. Kibadachi wide squats.

Wednesday 23rd June

Strong !
2KB CL&PR: (2 x 24kg) x 2/8
And a few HLR after that.

Flexibility work. Kibadachi wide goblet squats.

Friday 25th June

Strong !
I went out the night before and had a few (too many) beers, so the first set was not as good as I hoped. But I focused on a good clean and on running the checklist before the press, so it kept improving.

Later that day: flexibility work, kibadachi wide goblet squats, sets of 5 with a 16kg (3 with 5 steps, 2 with 7 steps). It felt good too.

Monday 28th June

Strong !
2KB CL&PR: (2 x 24kg) x 2/9
That was not surprisingly feasible, despite keeping the rest period relatively short (cca 2 min). Happy with that.

No time for the flexibility session: we leave for holidays in the night, and there is too much to do.

Tuesday very early: travel by car to Italy. 2KB securely stacked with us (2x24kg).

Wednesday 30th June
Around 6:30, mobility routine on the beach, finished by a set of 20 switch splits on sand.

Around 7:15, in the garage (I had left the KB in the car),
Strong !
2KB CL&PR: (2 x 24kg) x 1/10 EMOM

Tonight, some free style play with the KB. Nothing hard, just for fun.

Thursday 1st July
Around 7:00, mobility routine on the beach, finished by a set of 20 switch splits on sand.
8:00, coaching of an unexpected student. Good basis. We reviewed the swing to make it a real hard style swing with power from the hips. Interesting observation he made: "I have to reverse what I was doing. It's the hip leading, and the rest follows. I used to lead with the arms and the rest followed"

Friday 2nd July
Around 7:00, mobility routine on the beach, finished by a set of 20 switch splits on sand.
Strong !
2KB CL&PR: (2 x 24kg) x 3/5
Last set unfocused and very hard.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom