all posts post new thread

Strong mobility

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Monday's OAP: 4 doubles. I filmed a set, and I need to improve the plank. My hips tend to go back later. This will now be the main focus.

Tuesday 14th November
Morning mobility routine.
GTG OAP: Five singles. Really focusing on staying tight everywhere on the way up. Same cues as for a KB press, indeed (GLAG, zip, pull knee cap up). Only one rep at a time, but aiming at the perfect OAP. Not there yet...

Early evening, at the gym, with 2 students who were doing barbell squats and presses.
Pistol: BW x 3, 4, 5, 8kg x 2, 12 kg x 1, 16kg x 1
12kg was a bit sloppy. I tightened up much more with the 16kg, and it went pretty well. Not easy, but stable. It is improving.

Pullup: 4, 3, 2, 2, 1

Yesterday's session done today, as I did today's yesterday. Focusing on the sequence: get into the hollow position, start from the hang, pull shoulders down, wait, pull up, contract the lats to get as high as possible while keeping shoulders packed, active negative.
Refreshing at the end of the session.

Wednesday 15th November

It's snatch day.
Snatch: 16kg x (10, 10, 20) x 3. 120 total.
A set every 90 sec. 10 left, rest, 10 left, rest, 20 right.
Same as last week. Technique on the left has improved. I may increase some sets to 15 reps and evaluate how it goes next week. 16kg feels very light, I may invest in a 20kg, even though it is something I wanted to avoid.

Flexible steel program minium (bent arm bar, switch splits).

Sets of 3 of GTP OAP. Focus on staying tight on the way up. Tomorrow, I go back to singles.

Late Pullup (I forgot them): 4, 4, 3, 2, 1

Last edited:
Thursday 16th November
Morning mobility routine

KB press: 24 x 3, 4, 5, 28 x 1, 24 x 3, 28 x 1, 24 x 3

28kg is going up easily now. This is a good feeling. 24kg feels light enough that I can concentrate more on details and technique improvement. I feel like the 32kg press is going to happen this year. At my current BW, it is almost my SFG2 strength test, but I will aim at a higher press by then.

Pistol: BW x 3, 8kg x 1, BW x 4, 8kg x 2, BW x 5, 8kg x 1, BW x 3, 8kg x 2, BW x 4, 8kg x 1

Long session, with 26 pistols each leg. The technique is a bit different with or without a kettlebell.

Pullup: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
End of this cycle. That was easy, as I could already do the 5 pullups easily, but it allowed me to focus on technical points. I will start again in two days with 3 reps, but with a light kettlebell (8kg) and repeat the 3RM program until the SFB in two weeks.

Todays's GTO OAP: singles only. Quality over quantity. Still learning this move.

Friday 17th November
Morning mobility routine

KB press: 24 x 4, 5, 3, 4

Technique has become solid with a 24kg, even with the kettlebell from the gym and its misshaped handle. I now need to ensure I am not leaning to the side. I should be able to press 1/3 of my BW while staying at attention, in my opinion.

Deadlift: 110 x 5 (DOH), 120 x 3 (DOH), 4 (2 DOH), 130 x 3, 140 x 1, 120 x 3 (DOH), 5 (2 DOH), 130 x 2
I felt off at the beginning, even 110kg impressed me before I grabbed the bar. There is a magic in StrongFirst set-up principles, because it all went away when I started the set!
I went into position, grabbed the bar, and wedged. Everything went into position, every muscle was pre-tensed, and the off feeling goes away. I had not even started to move the bar. I pushed the earth away. When the bar went up, it just felt right.
But I have to admit I am a bit sore today. :)

Windmill: 3+3 @ 20kg
Still learning. I am not paying attention of how low I go with the free hand, but to the hinge, and keeping my weight on the back leg. I am reading and re-reading this excellent article by the chief Kettlebell Windmill 101

Flexible steel PM.

Some mobility work to finish the session.
Split work is on the back seat, because I have strength goals at the moment, so FS PM fits as an simple and easy way to keep things in place.
I noticed during this session that I am already going lower, and sooner, in my switch splits, without ever forcing.
Flexible steel works!

Saturday 18th November
Just the morning mobility routine.
Vinna cesta. :) No training. A long day of visiting caves and tasting wine in the region of the low Carpathian.

Sunday 19th November

Lower weight for the swings, but 1-handed. I am going back to less reps to keep power.
1H swing: 32kg x 10 x 10 EMOM
I can swing the 32kg with no problem, but I feel they are not as powerful as they could. I may do some 1-hand swings with the 28 to get some more grip strength. 24 is too light, but 28 could be a nice spot, before coming back to 32 and further.

Yesterday GTG OAP: 4 singles, with one leg just slightly touching the floor (extended foot). Time to transition to One-arm-one-leg version. Not so easy...

Monday 20th November

(too) Early morning mobility routine.
Had to go to the gym early, at 6:30. My grip was not strong, I had to switch to alternate grip already at the 4th rep at 120kg.
Deadlift: 110 x 4 (DOH), 120 x 5 (3 DOH), 130 x 2, 120 x 3, 4
"Wedge!". It might be the single self-cue I am using at the moment for the deadlift, but it seems to work on everything: bar close to legs (my tibias hurt...), back aligned, vertical bar path, tension everywhere.

KB windmill: 20kg x 3
Just technique practice. I will progress to 24kg much later. Concentrating on putting the weight on the back leg.

Pistol: BW only. 3, 4, 3
I had some time, so did my pistols on the spot.

Later, back home:
KB press: 24 x 3, 4, 5, 28 x 2, 24 x 3, 4, 5, 28 x 2
Like previously, the 28kg was planned for two singles in a row, but as it felt good, I went for a double both times, and still had reserve.
The clean is really improving. I am concentrating on keeping the elbow close, and such a simple thing makes a big difference. I am still troubled by the handle size of the 28 and banging my arm a little with it, but it is getting better too. This is one of the thing with classic kettlebells: it is not only the weight increase, it is also the shape.

After that, my Flexible Steel Programme Minimum session will feel like a relief.

Yesterday OAPU : one arm one leg version. 3 singles; hard but ok on one side. Hard and helped (foot touched the floor) on the other. One arm pushup helped for the strength component, but there is a balance component that can be learned only by doing OAOLPU. Two more weeks until SFB.

Today: GTG OAOLPU. 4 singles only. I usually do one good rep, and the other is assisted somehow. I changed the side I begin with, and it confirmed what I thought: it is not that I have a stronger side, but that doing one rep on one side, and then another rep on the other side is too much for me at the moment.

I will drastically reduce attempts of the OAOLPU at a higher elevation (for the feeling of the airborne leg), and keep working on GTG OAPU with both feet on the floor for strength.
I am not too worried for the SFB. Worst case scenario: I will have to send a video.

Tuesday 21st November
KB Press: 24 x 3, 4, 28 x 1, 24 x 3, 4

Relatively easy. I still need to find the optimal positionning of the 28.

Pullup: 8kg x 3, 2, 1, 1

Funny how only 8kg can make them so much harder. Still ok, but not super easy!

Early evening, at the gym, with 2 students.
Pistol: BW x 3, 4, 8kg x 1, BW x 5, 8kg x 2, 12kg x 1, 16kg x 1
16kg was a bit sloppy, but it went ok. Pistol are more a problem of balance than strength at the moment, which is a good reason to work them, actually.

Wednesday 22nd November
No OAP today. Will start again light tomorow (one arm two legs), and do some OAOL planks, top position, bottom position. If I can improve the plank at the end and the bottom, the rest will take care of itself.

Pullup: 8kg x 3, 2, 2, 1

They are not hard per se, but I feel they work my grip hard ! I can feel my forearms... Good side effect. :)

1H Swings: 32kg x 10 x 4, 28kg x 10 x 10 EMOM

I was not feeling the snatches today, so I switched to swings. I forgot I wanted to build up again the 1 hand swings with a lighter kettlebell, so started with the 32. I switched back to 28 at the 5th set. That made a big difference. Much more power with the 28, I should stay there for some time.
I am in no hurry for a snatch test, so I transition to something that fits better my schedule in the next few months : Craig Marker's plan. Thay will build some basic conditionning, while I work the snatch technique with light weight (16 to 20kg).

Thursday 23rd November
6:30 at the gym, two students.

KB press: 24 x 3, 4, 3

Beside the fact that I did it with the awkward kettlebell of the gym, little to say. Focused on a good clean (elbows close), and pressing in a "straight line". It does not feel light yet, but definitely not heavy anymore.

Deadlift: 110 x 6 (DOH), 120 x 5 (DOH)

Relatively light weight, and my grip felt ok, so I could do all lifts with a double overhand grip. Wedging and pushing the floor away works. I plan to film some of the sets of tomorrow's session to check my back position.

Pistol: BW x 4, 3, 4, 8kg x 1, 12kg x 1, BW x 3, 4, 5, 8kg x 1

At the end of the session, and with the total number of reps, it felt harder on the last BW pistols, but doable.

Later,
pullup: 8kg x 4, 3, 2, 1
Once more, I did not check my log and did tomorrow's program...
4 reps were not that easy, I can feel my forearms hard! A few more days...

Friday 24th November

KB press: 24 x 3, 4, 5, 28 x 2, 24 x 5, 28 x 1, 24 x 4, 28 x 1

The clean has been cleaned, even at 28kg. I will have to work on it a bit more, but at least it is not stealing from my press anymore. On pressing strength, the question now is how hard/easy the 28 for a double will be, not if I can lift it.
Next week is a deload, leading to SFB. Still pressing, but with less volume and intensity.

Deadlift: 110 x 4, 120 x 4, 130 x 4, 140 x 2, 150 x 1, 120 x 5, 130 x 2, 140 x 2

Only the first set was double overhand. I did not feel that strong a grip today. Lot of volume at a high intensity. There were 5 reps at twice bodyweight or more.
Interesting fact: one hour after finishing my session, I do not feel beat up, despite the volume. Training for strength gives energy, contrary to other types of training. Next week still intense, but with a lot less volume !

Pullup: 8kg x 3, 3, 2, 1
Yesterday's session.
I kept them for the end, as I wanted to keep my grip strength for the more important deadlifts.
They were definitely not easy, after the long deadlift session.

I needed some light work after that.
Windmill: 3+3 @ 20kg
I feel it better everytime. A bit more time at 20kg, before incorporating the 24kg.

Flexible steel PM. Bent arm bar, still light, at 16kg, and switch splits. Again, I went quite low on the splits, without training.

Saturday 25th November
I normally do not teach on weekends, but had to supervize a student's training, so was at 11:00 at the gym.

I took the opportunity to focus on loaded mobility work.
Goblet squat, prying and curls at the bottom: 20kg x 5
I did not find the 24kg at that time, so used the 20kg. No big deal, I was demonstrating the movement and have my student match it with a 16kg, prior to his barbell squatting.

Windmill: 20kg x (3+3) x 3
They feel better every time. I have no idea how low I go, but anyway, it does not matter. Depth is not the goal in the windmill, contrary to what too many people think. Almost time to work them with a 24kg.

Cossack squat: unloaded x 5, then 24kg x 1, 2

While at the bottom, I added 5 reps of "sitting" (butt touching floor), while keeping a straight back. Kind of the equivalent to the prying in goblet squat.

Sot press (unilateral): 16kg x 5 x 2

Light weight, as it it mobility work. I would have done double press, but they do not have double kettlebells at this gym. Let's play with what we have.

Much later, back home.
Sot press: (16kg+16kg) x 5 x 3
Instagram post by Jean-François Lopez • Nov 25, 2017 at 2:05pm UTC
I wanted to do the movement with bilateral press. I have not done it for a long time, but it always feel amazing, once you know how to do it. Contact your nearest Flexible steel instructor L2 for a proper and safe teaching! It looks easy, but it is not. As for everything, a proper progression must be followed.

1H swings: 28 kg x 10 x 12, EMOM.
As planned, I went down to swinging only 28kg, but ensure the power is there EVERY REP. Let's push the ego back. I will manage to do it again strongly with the 32 soon enough.

Last edited:
Sunday 26th November

Pullup: 8kg x 4, 3, 2, 1, 1

OAP

Yesterday, I tested and could do what seemed a good one arm one leg pushup on the right side and a crappy one on the left side. The funny thing is that the good one varies. If I start with the left, the left is ok, and the right is crappy. It is showing that a OAOLPU is still a 1RM for me...

With one more week to go before the SFB, I have to let the arrow fly.
I will not perform a single OAOLPU this week, but will practice an occasional OAP, for a single, here and there, and do OAOL planks at the bottom and the top to keep the memory of start and end position.

I expect to learn a lot at the SFB. Really looking forward to it!
Will I get it at the spot? Will I be able to perform a OAOLPU, and if so, at the required standard?
Maybe, maybe not.
It does not matter much. If not, then I know that I will do a proper one within a few weeks. No big deal.

Attending is not for the three letters and the T-shirt, it is about the knowledge.

Monday 27th November

KB press: 24 x 4, 3, 4

It was at the gym, with the KB I don't like. I did not feel it before starting, but it went well. Sometimes, you just have to start, no matter what.

Deadlift: 110 x 5 (DOH), 120 x 5 (DOH), 130 x 2, 140 x 1

Not a lot of reps overall, and nothing really hard. That let me concentrate on wedging and putting the chest up (rigidify the back). Not comfortable, but safer. My grip was better today, I could do all 120kg with a double overhand. Unfortunately, I am not ready yet to do DOH at 130kg. I did the setup wth a DOH, but my hands told me no. The strength is there, if I could do 5@120, but the nerves just don't want to (yet). :) A lot of receptors in the hand.

Pullup: 8kg x 4, 3, 2, 2, 1

Easier than yesterday. Probably also because a proper setup is easier to do right at this gym than home. 3 more days of pullups before putting the bell down.

Windmill: 20kg x 3 x 3

I increased the volume to 3 sets instead of one. I still keep it light. Technical work. Practice.

Flexible steel PM@16kg
Getting better. I reduced the time it takes me to go deep in the switch splits. Only three sessions per week seem not only to maintain my split, but to increase it. Other benefit is that those are "Martial art splits", which I tend to be worse at than classical front splits.
I had to put flexibility work on the back side for some time, as I am currently focusing on strength, and FS PM is a very time-efficient way to keep progressing.

1H swing: 28kg x 10 x 8, EMOM

My focus being strength, I have not been very consistent with swings and snatches.
I need something easy. I apply an old method: 3 dice=how many minutes I swing. Easy way to introduce variety. 28kg is the sweet spot to keep those 1H swings powerful and work my kettlebell grip (still sthinking of the snatch test).

And of course, a one arm pushup here and there, unstructured, by feeling.

Last edited:
Tuesday 28th November
Late morning mobility routine.
I was in a hurry this morning, woke up late, had to leave fast, so I skipped the morning routine. Did it later, around 9:30. Still good enough!

KB press: 24 x 3, 4, 3, 28 x 1, 24 x 5, 3

Still trying to find the right grip on the 28 not to hurt my forearm with the handle. Not there yet, but as the clean itself improved, the landing is soft.
At 24kg, I am working on having a similar press on both sides. I do this by forcefully get my free arm into the same position in both sides, something that does not happen naturally. I tend to naturally extend the left arm on the side, and having the right one in guard. Now working on having both of them extend to the side the same way.

Pistol: BW x 4, 5, 8kg x 1, 12kg x 1, 16kg x 1 (crappy rep on one side)
I felt my legs a bit heavy, and I felt it in the pistol. Not that good today, except at 8kg. One more light and short session of pistols on Thursday before SFB.

Pullup: 8kg x 4, 3, 3, 2, 1

Went well. I feel in my forearm that it works my grip, and it is only 8kg! I have a weak grip, so hopefully, it will improve, and help for the snatches.

Wednesday 29th November

Little strength work today. Only pullups.
Pullup: 8kg x 4, 4, 3, 2, 1
Almost there. They were all pretty solid, especially the lockout at the top. Quite happy with how it is going.

1H Swing: 28kg x 10 x 11 EMOM

One set right, one set left. Last set 5 right, and 5 left at 30s.
The dice gave me the exact same number as two sessions ago. So much for variety!
28kg is flying. A few more weeks, and I will be back to the 32kg with power.

Flexible steel PM.

First set of switch splits seemed like it would be a bad day. A bit tense and high. Then came the second set, back to normal.

Thursday 30th November
Late night yesterday with a couple of friends I don't see often. Not too much wine, but still some, little sleep and blocked one hour in traffic with the first serious snow fall of the year. Not conductive to good training, but if we had to wait for perfect conditions, we would never do anything.

At the gym:
Mobility routine.
Deadlift: 120 x 3(DOH), 130 x 2, 140 x 1, 120 x 3 (DOH), 150 x 1
At least, I could do double overhand on the lower sets, but the heaviest felt a lot heavier than expected, so I put more attention in wedging. The lift at 150 was a bit slow to go up. But it went up.
I am still undecided if I will continue to deadlift next month or switch to something completely different.

Back home.
KB press: 24 x 3, 4, 5
Purposefully little volume. Despite my tiredness, it was easy. It seems I have finally learnt to properly use my lats. No more pressing until SFB.

Pistol: BW x 4, 5, 8kg x 1

Purposefully light and little volume. Last session until SFB.

Pullup: 8kg x 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

Also last session. My forearms still feel it. Tactical pullups certainly helped my pressing, as I had to use my lats.

OAP: short planks on one arm and one leg, while extending the free arm in front. Not taxing, and helping to gain the necessary stability for OAOLPU. No pressing.

Tomorrow a few swings before leaving, and FS PM probably when I arrive in Vicenza, after the drive.

Friday 1st december

1H swing: 28kg x 10 x 17 EMOM
3 dice, before travelling, and I get 6,6,5. Well...
Good that I went down to 28 instead of 32, this is a lot of swings!

No time for FS PM, 7 hours of car travel, check-in, quick dinner. Easy strectching.
Tomorrow, SFB.

Saturday and Sunday 2nd-3rd december
SFB in Vicenza.
As usual, excellent and professional instruction by Fabio Zonin and Jon Engum. Great assistants and great students.
Lot of pushups, pullups, pistols...

I failed the strength test initially (was close, but not enough), but thanks to the right cues and great advice by senior SFG Alexey, I managed to nail a perfectible but clean one-arm one-leg pushup for my last try. The eye of a good coach is invaluable.

The SFB is a great cert that I recommand it to anybody who is serious about understanding the skill of high tension.

Next week: only swings!

Tuesday 5th December

No pressing today. I need to force myself to rest this week, even though I want to press those kettlebells in the corner... I will resume normal training next week. To keep things aligned, I will also resume other strength training (like deadlift or so) only next week.
I will nevertheless start already to introduce a dedicated abs training. The SFB showed me that my midsection is not as strong as it should be!

Now, swings.
Got 11 on the dice (4, 5, 2).
As the 28 is really flying, I am introducing the 32 again. How to keep variety? The lower dice gives me the number of sets with the new bell, here 2 sets. The middle dice is the first round with the current bell, and the highest one the last round.
Thus:
1H swing, EMOM: 28kg x 10 x 4, 32kg x 10 x 2, 28kg x 10 x 5 (last set 5 right, 5 left to keep balance).

I have done a FS PM session on Sunday before the start of the instruction, so I am doing one today. My shoulders appreciate it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom