all posts post new thread

Strong mobility

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Monday 5th July

Strong !
2KB CL&PR: (2 x 24kg) x 2/10
Serious stuff now. No more singles...

Wednesday 7th July

Strong !
2KB CL&PR: (2 x 24kg) x 3/6
For singles and doubles, I used an EMOM (and E2MOM) for the lifts with no problem. With 3 reps, I need more rest. I started with a basis of 3 minutes, not rushing the start after 3 min (so the rest period was between 3 and 4 minutes).
It felt solid, especially compared to the previous session with triples.

One observation: for me, clean and press are way harder that presses. I can press 5 times the 24s with no issue, but doing 3 reps with a clean each time is tough. I need to keep working on my relaxation-tension cycle.

Friday 9th July
Strong !
After 9 hours of travel by car. I took the time to move a bit before the session. And to enjoy my beers afterward.

Monday 11th July
Strong !
2KB CL&PR: (2 x 24kg) x 3/7
During the lunch break of the first day of Second wind. Second time I go to this seminar.
Good thing of not having lunch: I had time to do my training session. Otherwise, I would not have.

Wednesday 14th July
Apart from celebrating the revolution and recovering for another 3hours in the car, I managed my session. Not so smooth, I was tired.. I started to apply some of the breathing drills from Second wind right away.
Strong !

Friday 16th July
Strong !
2KB CL&PR: (2 x 24kg) x 3/8
Not easy at all. I really need to focus when I reclean to get tight, otherwise the lift is hard. If I focus and run quickly the tension checklist, the lift is only almost easy.

Saturday 17th July
I bought a nose pincher, as advised by Pavel at Second wind. It's a simple tool, but it makes my breath hold more focused on relaxation. Not having to pinch my nose with my fingers is a simple but powerful improvement in term of relaxation. It seems like nothing, but pinching the nose means holding the arm in flexion/slight tension or not staying upright. Neither are good for the exercice.
My today's BH session was good.

Monday 19th July
Strong !
A simple formula of a set every two minutes. As long as I can do it, I stick to this model. If the set is hard, I lengthen the next rest period.

Wednesday 21st July

Strong !
2KB CL&PR: (2 x 24kg) x 3/9
2KB front squat: (2x24kg) x 5
It went well. I am surprised and happy. As I need to think of the upcoming SFG2, I started to reintroduce front squat, but in a manner that will not prevent progress in the clean and press: low volume after the clean and press.

One more week of phase 1.

Friday 23rd July
Strong !
Feeling solid. RPE is getting lower.

Monday 26th July

Strong !
2KB CL&PR: (2 x 24kg) x 3/10
Solid. Next session is "only" ten doubles. So far, the program works.

Wednesday 28th July

Strong !
2KB CL&PR: (2 x 24kg) x 2/10, every 2 min.
Emphasizing the active negatives.
Solid. I cannot test my RM on Friday, so I will have to do it tomorrow.

I had to test on Thursday morning with less than ideal conditions (no off day and soon in the morning). I managed 5 good reps and stopped here, as I did not want to risk sloppy reps afterward. The 5th rep was good but a bit slower.

Monday 2nd August
Strong !
2KB CL&PR: (2 x 24kg) x 3/10, approximately 3min+ of rest.
Hanging leg raise x 4

I should go to SFG2 in the beginning of October, and I would like to have some specific training before that.
I need to increase my press and to keep practicing the fundamental double bell lift (double front squat). In those conditions, I decided to continue Strong! with the short course, and a set of 5 reps of front squat at the end. I need to pay extra attention to my recovery, but in summer and for a duration of only 4 weeks, it is manageable.
It will leave me a few weeks afterward for specific SFG2 training.

First session went very well.

Wednesday 4th August

Strong !
2KB CL&PR: (2 x 24kg) x 2/10 (every 2 min)
Hanging leg raise x 3 (practice and quality, so I reduce the number of reps).

Friday 6th August

Strong !
2KB CL&PR: (2 x 24kg) x 3/10, approximately 3min+ of rest.
Hanging leg raise x 3 (focus on quality).

Monday 9th August

Strong !
2KB CL&PR: (2 x 24kg) x 4/10, approximately 3min+ of rest at first, slowly increasing to 5 min by the end.

That was not easy. The first sets flew, but fatigue made it harder as I progressed (hence the increased rest period). But I did it, and the last set was still solid, if not easy.
I am not doing the HLR now. I know I won't be able to do them with the required quality after such a session, so better not to.

Wednesday 11th August

Strong !
2KB CL&PR: (2 x 24kg) x 3/10, keeping rest under 2 minutes.
Closer to the original program format with reduced rest periods in phase 2. I could manage it, even better than last week, so there is indeed improvement.

Friday 13th August

Strong !
2KB CL&PR: (2 x 24kg) x 4/7, 3/3
I tried to keep rest period short, but was not able to get 4 good reps after the 6th sets. The 4th rep of the 7th set was a grind and I felt that I was slightly hyperextending my back, so I backed off to 3 reps and more rests.

We'll see on Monday how I feel, but I will probably go for longer rest. as I am prioritizing strength over hypertrophy anyway for the time being.

Monday 16th August

Strong !
2KB CL&PR: (2 x 24kg) x 5/5, 3, 4, 3 :(

I followed short rest periods for the first 4 sets, then I had to get them longer, and even so, I could not maintain the press with satisfying quality. I probably could get the extra reps, but with bad form, which is a big no.

Seeing how I easily managed the first sets show me that, while the Short course was too much too fast, the Slow and steady would most probably work. Alas, I don't have time, SFG2 has been scheduled early October, this is why I went for the short course. After SFG2, I will be able to start Strong! again, with no time constraints.

For the time being, I will finish the week in free style, solidifying the already good gains, and transition to a specific preparation for SFG2 during 6 weeks.
More specifically the plan in this timely published article:

Wednesday 18th August

Strong !
2KB CL&PR: (2 x 24kg) x 4/10 :cool:

Rest period between 1 and 2 min for most of the sets, with just one or two going slightly over 2 min (like 2min10, 2min15), so overall a pretty good session, considering the troubles I have had in the last two sessions.

I still think it is too much too soon for me at this moment. The last rep lasted at least 5 seconds and I had to fight to finish it without losing my form, and it was supposed to be the easy session of the week.
I am travelling, so I don't know if I will bring my KB for Friday's session. If I do, I will take longer rest period than only two minutes.

Friday 18th August

Strong !
2KB CL&PR: (2 x 24kg) x 5/6, 4, 3
I could travel with my 24s and do the session. Anyway, I took longer rest periods, and managed 6 proper sets with good quality. For the 7th one, I stopped at 4 because I had no more juice. The next one at 3 so I called it a day.
It is just a confirmation that Slow and steady would go, but the Short course was not the best option at this moment.
If I had time, I would recycle into Slow and steady, but I have to prepare for SFG2.

So on Monday, I go on a specific prep program for the next 6 weeks.

I am still quite happy by the improvement, not only on my press, but also on the double clean. I may not have done the program to the end, but it certainly was not a loss of time.

Road to SFG2
I am following the template in the recent article by Catherine Buck Le.
As it is the first week, I am doing a lot less than what is recommended. I am building up for both weights and volume. Next week, I will see and adapt if needed.
If I manage my diet properly, I should weight in below 68kg, so use 20kg for most drills. I don't have 20kg at thome: going to aim for 24kg or more for everything!

Monday 23rd August
1H-Swing, 32kg x 5/30 EMOM followed by one pushup (tempo 3-1-3-1)
Active negative, 28kg x 1/10

I have not done swings for a long time, I am not going for a 40 tight away. As for the negative, I need to regain confidence with heavier weights first, so I started with actually less than my SFG2 press. Still 6 weeks to go!

Tuesday 24th August
3 circuit of:
2KB FSQ: (2 x 24) x 5
2KB CL: (2 x 24) x 5
KB Bent press: 16kg x 2
KB windmill: 16kg x 3

For SFG2 skills, I start low again. Technical work.

1/4 getup, with 10 sec pauses, 28kg x 1/10, EMOM

Wednesday 25th August
Light press with pauses at various points on the way up: 16kg x 1/10
Snatch EMOM, 10L, 10L, 10R, 10R, rest,rest
Done twice. 80 is enough for a start, 120 would be a bit much with no snatching for a long time.
Snatches felt good. HR went quite high (lower 170) but recovery between sets and series is fast, so there is still some conditioning left.

Tomorrow I'll have to go with double 16s only, as I will be travelling and don't want to bring too many KB. NO big deal; it is mainly SFG2 skill work, so it is good to start light too.

Last edited:
Road to SFG2
Thursday 26th August
5 circuits of:
2KB Push press: (2 x 16kg) x 5
2KB snatch: (2 x 16kg) x 5
2KB Front squat: (2 x 16kg) x 5 (4th and 5th circuit in a wide kibadachi stance)
2KB jerks: (2 x 16kg) x 5

Note about the work with 16s.
16kg is light, it was the occasion to focus on pure technique.
It is appropriate for the snatch.
For the squat, it turns into a loaded mobility exercise.
For the jerk, I REALLY have to concentrate on the drop, because it is too light and it tends to transform into a push press.
Overall, it was still a good technical session, but it will be better next week when I can mix with heavier bells.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom