all posts post new thread

Strong mobility

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Wednesday 6th December
Nothing. Rest.

Thursday 7th December
Morning mobility routine.
I had 2 students to supervize early in the morning, so I went to the gym.
I took the opportunity to do 3+3 windmills @20kg, and Flexible steel program minimum (bent arm bar @20kg, switch splits).
The first set of switch splits were a bit high, but then the second and third sets went quite low.
The magic of those switch splits is that you do not have to force yourself to go down, it just happens. "Go lower by accident" as says Flexible steel founder Jon Engum.

1H Swing: 28kg x 10, 10, 10, 10, 32kg x 10, 10, 5+5, 28kg x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10 EMOM

Results of the dice: 4, 3, 6
13 min of swings. Rules: nose breathing only during rest. Keep explosiveness at every rep, or put the bell down.
The 28 felt really light after 30 reps with the 32.

Last edited:
Friday 8th November
Rest.

Saturday 9th November
Mobility routine.

Dice: 1, 3, 5
1H swing: 28kg x 10, 10, 5+5, 32kg x 5 +5, 28kg x 10, 10, 10, 5+5
Odd numbers only, so it was a lot of 5+5. Introducing the 32kg was a good thing, as it immediately increases the power with 28kg. Heavy weights are instructive.
Next week, I will up the volume with the 32.

And FS PM with a 16kg.

I will write my plan for the coming month this weekend. Will do deadlifts, squats, KB presses and benches. I will add specific ab work, working to a good hanging leg raise, as the SFB showed me it is clearly a weakness of mine!

Monday 11th December
Mobility routine.

BB Squat: 90 x 6, 100 x 3, 110 x 1
Low volume and intensity. It is my first squat session after one month of pistols and a week off. That was ok, but 110 did not feel light.

KB press: 24 x 3, 4, 5

Even if I start light and with low volume, I am upping the volume again this month.
I was fortunate enough to perform a OAOLPU during the cert, so I can make the KB press my priority. The more I progress with it, the faster I will own a 1/2 BW press, and it will also make my snatch test easier. What is a 24kg snatch when you can press much more?
I will keep working the OAOLPU, but on the side, on maintenance mode, with OAP, 2AOL and so.

Deadlift: 110 x 5, 5 (DOH)

Another low volume low intensity. I forgot my chalk, but at 110kg, it is not yet an issue.
Second set was better. I was much more attentive to wedge properly before lifting. Always the basics...

FS program minimum @20kg.

Later in the day, swing session.
Dice: 6, 1, 2
It's time to get more 32kg swings. I am adapting the rules: lower dice=first batch of 28kg swings, middle dice=32kg batch, higher dice=second batch of 28kg swings.
1H swings: 28kg x 5+5, 32kg x 10, 10, 28kg x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10
The 32kg were powerful. It was a good call to go down to 28 for some time.

Tuesday 12th December

Deadlift: 110 x 5 (DOH), 120 x 5 (4 DOH), 130 x 3, 140 x 2, 150 x 1, 120 x 4 (DOH)

150kg was again a bit slow, but I am better at keeping my back flat. I am focusing a lot more on wedging properly and it pays off.

KB press: 24 x 4, 3, 4, 28 x 2, 24 x 3, 4, 3, 28 x 1

I am going to press a lot this month. I decided not to bench press and really focus on the KB press. I don't want to just press a 1/2BW weight on a good day, I want to own it. So let's get to work!
I reread "Perfecting the press" by Kenneth Jay, after seing it on @Pierre Martini 's log. Definitely a good read. I have to start again to follow my mental check-list for the press, based on the 11 axioms.

Wednesday 14th December
Wednesday is going to be snatch day!

For the past few weeks, I have tried to passively control my weight, but at best, I stay around 70kg. I am sure I could go under 68 with some effort and pass a snatch test with a 20kg, but I am too lazy to put into the effort, so I will train normally with the 24kg bell.

I did a modified version of the density day. Instead of starting with 4+4 (left and right) EMOM, I started with 8 EMOM, switching hand only at the minute.
The reason is that I do much better with longer sets. I lacked strength for the snatch test, not conditioning. When I do 10+10 EMOM, I do not get real benefit of resting, and it is not enough for muscular recuperation. I end up losing precious time for nothing.
Doing longer set is also psychologically better suited for me: after 20+20+15+15, I am tired, but it is already 70% of the snatch test, and the three remaining 10 reps sets look less threatening.

The idea was 16 sets of 8 EMOM.
Snatch: EMOM, 24 kg x 8 x 9, then 16kg x 8, 24kg x 8, 16kg x 8, 24kg x 8, 16kg x 8, 24kg x 8, 16kg x 8.
I deloaded to 16kg (as I don't own a 20kg) at the 10th set for my left hand. Technical issue and weak grip : I started to catch it in my palm, not in my fingers. No need for tearing hands. I finished with a lighter bell on the left hand, to at least practice technique and catch properly with my fingers. Let's not be greedy, there is no medals for tearing hands.
After snatching the 24 for a few sets, the 16 feels like a toy. I may need a 20 after all...

The density day should prepare me for the actual event, progressively.
For the conditioning part, I will continue 1H swings with 28 and 32, twice a week, with the dice, adding a dice over time to increase total work.

And for the main issue, which was a lack of strength, I continue to work on increasing my KB press. If I can feel the 24 as light as the 16, the snatch test will be a formality!

Later on: Flexible steel PM @16kg

Friday 15th December
I have not slept very well the past few days, so I was not very optimistic for my training session today. Well, sometimes, this is when you feel the worst that you perform the best!

Mobility routine, then:
KB press: 24 x 5, 28 x 2, 24 x 3, 28 x 2, 24 x 5
After struggling a little with the 28 on Tuesday with my left arm, I was a bit anxious, but both doubles went up solidly.
I am mentally listing the 11 axioms before pressing. Little details, big difference.
My clean has improved a lot, I am not hurting myself anymore with the 28.

Later,
BB Squat: 90 x 5, 100 3, 90 x 3, 100 x 2
I have been shifting to good morning squats lately, so this relatively light session was the opportunity to correct the groove. "Chest up" is the simplest cue I can think of, and it work to keep hips and shoulders moving at the same rate.

Deadlift: 120 x 3 (DOH), 130 x 3 (1 DOH), 120 x 3 (DOH), 140 x 1

First time I did a DOH deadlift @130kg. I played safe and did alternate for the next ones, but it is definitely an improvement. My grip is a weak point, especially my left hand. Still need to work on it.

Flexible steel PM @20kg

Later,
dice : 1, 3, 5.
1H swings: EMOM, 28 x (5+5), 32 x 10, 10, (5+5), 28 x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, (5+5)
Easy and powerful. Next week, I increase both volume and intensity (4 dice, 2 for 32).

Weekend: rest.

My clean has improved a lot, I am not hurting myself anymore with the 28.

Any insight into where you were going wrong and how you corrected it @jef ?

I'm about to go up a half size bell for my C&P and I've tweaked a few things in the past when I've done so. I'm always looking to refine my technique there.

@Tarzan
1. More focus of taming the arc. At 16 to 24kg, it was not an issue, but at 28kg, I needed to put a bit more power, and I let the bell go too much forward (even so sligthly), so it landed harder on my arm. I had to visualize my elbows staying connected to my midsection to correct this.
2. Hand position. With the different shape of the bell, I had to find where to grip it to optimize the position it would land on the forearm. Initially, it the connexion between the handle and the bell body that would land just on my forearm. Combined with point 1, it quickly hurt. Now, it is a point maybe one cm further that land on my arm.
3. Grip. For a few weeks, I had started to grip the bell from the start in my "press" grip (handle in the palm), to feel more tightness from the beginning. It had an influence in how it landed and where. I switched back to grip the bell as I would do in a swing (handle in the fingers), and it lands better.

I am not sure it is easy to visualize what the issue was, and what I did. I should probably make a video on this...

Thanks for the reply @jef .

It's good to get your take on it. I think I'm the opposite when I go up a bell, I tend to try to heave it up with upper body strength and neglect the hinge pattern.

Yes, this is the thing with KB cleans. Of the 6 basic moves, we tend to think it is the easiest and neglect it (I sure did).
I later realized that it is probably the hardest to do properly. Even the snatch is easier, in my opinion.

Saturday, Sunday: rest.

Monday 18th December

It is one of these days, when I don't feel it before lifting. Went for it anyway.

Mobility routine.

BB Squat: 90 x 4, 100 x 5, 90 x 5, 100 x 4

Despite the relative lightness of the session, I took my time to fully recover between each set. I really was not feeling it, but once I had the bar on my back, it went ok, technically. Sometimes, we just have to go through it.
I am still cueing "chest up". Hips and shoulders at the same rate, not a good morning squat!

KB press: 24 x 3, 4, 3, 4

I had to grind one or two reps, and it is only 24. A bit of lack of concentration.

Deadlift: 110 x 6 (DOH), 120 x 5 (3 DOH), 110 x 4 (DOH)

Even the deadlifts did not feel that good. I switched to alternate for the last 2 reps at 120kg. Well, no big deal, tomorrow is another day.

I continued with a session of Flexible steel Programme minimum, @20kg, that went quite well. Switch splits were relatively high for the first set, and already quite low for the second one. Still working, even without forcing it.

Windmill: 20 kg x 3
Just practice and learning.

Much later, the swing session.
Dice: 2, 4, 4, 5
1H swing, EMOM: 28 x 10, 10, 32 x 10, 10, 10, 10, 28 x 10, 10, 10, 10, (5+5), 32 x 10, 10, 10, 10
Last 2 sets of 10 at 32kg started to be a bit less powerful. It was a good time to stop!
Otherwise, that was a good session, and I could stay with nose breathing only in all the rest periods.
My focus is to keep the bell in the fingers, and avoid to grip it too hard and too high. I expect it will carry over to a better snatch.

Tuesday 19th December
We took our time this morning.
Coffee.

After leaving the kid at school, at the gym.
Mobility routine.
Deadlift: 110 x 6 (DOH), 120 x 5 (DOH), 130 x 3 (DOH), 140 x 1, 150 x 1, 110 x 4 (DOH)
Funny thing. Yesterday, I switched to alternate grip already at 120kg, while today I could lift double over hand for 3 reps at 130kg, which I never did before.
I did the setup DOH also at 140kg, but my mental gate was too strong, I felt the bar would not move, and switched back to alternate. It will come later, no doubts. I weight 70kg currently. That would be very nice to reach twice bodyweight deadlift with a double overhand grip.
DOH has another advantage, apart from grip strength. I really have to grip hard and wedge better, which in turn sets my back properly. So not only a performance improvement, but a safety one as well.

Later in the day,
KB press: 24 x 3, 4, 5, 28 x 2, 24 x 4, 28 x 2, 24 x 3, 5, 28 x 2, 24 x 4, 28 x 1
Volume starting to kick off...
All doubles at 28 passed, but the last rep of the last double was a sure grind.
Clean is ok but still perfectible. I am keeping the 28 close, so it does not bang on my arm anymore, but I need more exploration to find the right grip with this bell.
Considering volume and intensity, I took my time between sets to be fully rested. I did not want to leave any room for a failed lift!

Wednesday 20th December
I woke up not feeling that good. We are all sick in the family.
But it got better this afternoon, so I went for the snatch density day!

(Afternoon) mobility routine.
Snatch, EMOM, 24 kg x 8 x 16 min (alternating hands each minute), 128 total
Technique is already better, I catch properly with the right hand. More work needed with the left hand, whose grip is not strong enough yet. Next week, I go to 10 EMOM.

When recovered: flexible steel PM @16kg.

Thursday 21st December

Afternoon,
KB press: 24 x 3, 4, 28 x 1, 24 x 4, 5, 28 x 1
Calm before the storm. Tomorrow's lifting is going to be tough. I have to earn my Christmas food!

Friday 22nd December
Again one of those days... I woke up with some pain in a muscle in my back, probably due to bad position while sleeping, combined with a persistent cold in the entire family.
Well, still did a slow morning mobility routine, and went to the gym.

BB Squat: 90 x 3, 4, 100 x 2, 110 x 2, 120 x 1, 90 x 3

I have doubt that the 120kg squat was really deep. It likely hit parallel, but surely higher that what I normally do, which is way below parallel. I was not really feeling it today. The set at 90 was a relief.

Deadlift: 110 x 5 (DOH), 130 x 3 (1 DOH), 140 x 1, 130 x 3 (mistakingly, I should have done only 2), 120 x 4 (DOH)

I did not feel it for a second rep DOH at 130kg, which kind of pissed me off. This is a bit stupid, because only a few days ago, I had never deadlifted 130kg DOH, so 1 out of 3 is still good, especially considering it is a bad day. I am getting better at wedging. Good progress here.

Some relief:
Windmill: 3@20kg
Flexible steel PM@20kg

Later on, back home.
KB press: 24 x 3, 3, 28 x 1, 1
The program called for doubles at 28, but I could not do it. I went for singles and decided to stop here, as the press started to be very ugly.
I eventually came back to it later in the late afternoon:
KB press: 28 x 1, 1, 24 x 3, 28 x 1, 1, 1, 1, 24 x 3, 28 x 1, 1, 1, 1, 24 x 3, 28 x 1
It took a while. I did only singles at 28, instead of doubles, but at least did all the lift. It went better over time, but I had to cheat clean the last 5 singles.
I made a mistake by programming so many 28kg lifts. Fortunately, I do not have any more crazy sessions like this one this cycle, so things should go better. Lesson learned.

After a day like that, I postponed the swing for tomorrow.

Saturday 23rd December

Dice: 1, 1, 6, 6
1H swings: EMOM 28kg x (5+5), 32kg x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 28kg x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 32kg x (5+5)
Nice session, explosive till the end. Feeling good. It was a good call not to do it yesterday.

Now ready for Christmas.

Monday 25th December

KB press: 24 x 3, 4, 5, 3
Doing power breathing prior to the clean. I need to ensure my midsection is really engaged and stay tight. It will be the focus of the next weeks for all lifts.
Lifting the 24 is also a nice warmup for the swings.

Dice: 2, 3, 3, 5
1H swing: 28kg x 10, 10, 32kg x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 28kg x 10, 10, 10, 10, (5+5)
It is going very well. My 32kg swing is finally as explosive as it should. The 28 is really flying now. I am almost tempted to snatch it. Almost...
My goals with 1H swings are:
1. Increase "work capability", in a sustainable way (so no peaking, every rep should be powerful, and nose breathing during recovery). This is why I limit to 10 reps and increase sets and load, instead of increasing reps and density. The more work capability I build, the less tiring the snatch test is going to be.
2. Improve my grip, in its specific task of keeping the bell in the hook of the fingers. This is one of my big limitations for the snatch test, especially my left hand.
So far, this approach is working.

Tuesday 26th December

KB press: 24x 3, 4, 5, 28 x 1, 24 x 3, 4

Power breathing prior to each set. Abdominal focus. Pretty easy session.

I had to wait for the rack to be freed at the gym, so warmup with:
Windmill: 3+3 @20kg
Goblet squat: prying, curling with 24kg

BB Squat: 90 x 5, 100 x 5, 110 x 1, 120 x 1

120 deep enough but not really satisfying. I included CoC gripper for 5 between sets, at an easy level (Trainer).

Deadlift: 110 x 7 (DOH), 130 x 3, 2

Power breathing prior to each set, focus on abdominal tension and flat back (no rounding of lower back). Not sure of my grip strength, so I started 130kg directly with alternate grip. Felt easy and controlled.

Flexible steel @20kg.

It should be an easier week, and so far, it feels like that. Good. It also leaves me enough energy to concentrate on my current weakness, abdominal strength.

Wednesday 27th December

Snatch density day
KB snatch: EMOM, alternating hands each minute, 24kg x 10 x 12 sets, 16kg x 10 x 2 sets
I finished with 16kg because I started to tear my left palm. Better to finish with a lighter bell than hurting the hand.
Right hand is going well, but I tend to quickly grap the bell in my left palm, because of a lack of grip strength in my left hand. At least, I know what to work on.

--------------
Thursday 28th December
Mobility routine

BB squat: 90 x 4, 6

Quick and easy.
KB press: 24 x 3, 4, 5, 3
Power breathing before each set.

Flexible steel PM @20kg

Friday 29th December
Last training session of the year, but not the best one. Accumulated fatigue and daily wine/beer may started to have its toll on me. :)
Morning mobility routine, then heading to the gym around 7:00.

BB squat: 90 x 4, 6, 110 x 2, 90 x 4, 120 x 1, 90 x 3

120kg to depth, but not easy.

The gym has a new KB, 28kg. Good, I can do my session here and save time.
KB press: 24 x 3, 4, 5, 28 x 1, 24 x 3, 28 x 1, 24 x 3
Missed the first try on the right at 28. Succeed on the second try.
Missed the second set at 28 on the right. Bad groove. Even the subsequent 24 was not clean. I decided to stop there and finish the presses back home.

Deadlift: 120 x 5 (DOH), 140 x 1, 150 x 1, 120 x 3 (DOH), 150 x 1, 120 x 4

All lifts good, but the first 150kg, where I felt I did not wedge enough and slightly rounded my back. Second set was better, as I concentrated more. Last set at 120kg done with alternate grip directly, which was a good call and allowed an easy and clean last set.

Back home, eggs, coffee, then finishing the presses:
KB press: 24 x 5, 28 x 1
Not super easy, but not hard either. I need to train the KB press at an other moment than the barbell work, unless it is light and easy. This is what I did so far, it worked. I changed today, and it did not work. Lesson learned.

Waaaaay later, the swing session.
dice: 2, 2, 3, 4, hence:
1H swing: EMOM, alternating hands, 28kg x 10, 10, 32kg x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 28kg x 10, 10, (5+5)
Easy, explosive, good recharge.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom