all posts post new thread

Strong mobility

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Some posts were deleted. Just a quick recap.

Wednesday 24th January

SFG practice
Getup @24kg, 1+1
Swing @24kg, 10+10
Clean @(24+24)kg, 5
Press @24kg, 5+5
Front squat @(24+24)kg, 5

Snatch, EMOM, alternating hands: 16 reps x 6 sets.
Stopped at 6 sets because of quality drop in the last few reps. The goal is not so much to do as many reps as possible, as it is do do as many good reps as possible. The quality drop might not be visible from external view, but I definitely felt it.
Next week, I might stay at 16 or go to 18, depending on how I feel.

Thursday 25th January
SFG practice
(Getup @28kg, 1+1, Clean @(24+24)kg, 5)
Swing @24kg, 10+10
(Getup @32kg, 1+1, Clean @(28+28)kg, 5)
Press @24kg, 4+4
Front squat @(28+28)kg, 5
Snatch @24, 5+5

Swing, EMOM: 28kg x 10, 10, 32kg x 10, 10, 40kg x 9, 9, 32kg x 10, 10, 40kg x 9, 9, 32kg x 10, 10, 10, 10
Feeling good. Swings at 40kg are getting better, despite the superthick handle.

Friday 26th January
Deadlift: 110kg x 4, 120kg x 3, 4, 5, 140 x 1

DOH until 140kg. I tried DOH at 140kg, but felt the grip giving up when I was just above knees. I played safe, let the bar go down, switched grip and lifted it easily.
But at the end, I felt than my left hip bothered me a little. It has happened before and not a good sign. I did not try the two remaining sets (planned 120 x 4, 140 x 1), and avoided the barbell presses, even if they were light, and finished the session with some relaxing stretches and mobility work.
No swings today.
I felt minor pain the rest of the day. It was a good call not to push.
Some meditation "muscle scan" back home and in the evening.

Saturday 27th January

Getting better. I can move well and just feel some minor inconfort in some movements, more soreness than pain. No swings yet. If things are still improving tomorrow, I will do light my Friday light presses and light swings.
I will stop deadlift for a while. Heavy swings will maintain it, and it seems that it is too much for my lower back with all the swings and snatches.

Sunday 28th January
Morning mobility routine.
Some soreness, no pain. Good.

Evening training: checking two students BB presses, and correcting swings and getups.
I also did my Friday's light BB press session.
BB press: 45kg x 4, 5, 5

Windmill: 20kg x (3+3) / 3
Getup: 28kg x (1+1)

Then swings,
1H swing, EMOM: 28kg x 10 / 10
Extra attention to the standing plank and keeping a solid flat back at the bottom. That went well, but I still feel a bit sore. We will see tomorrow how it feels.
Usually, swings pretty much help when my deadlift start to bother me.

Light stretching at the end to release back tension.

Monday 29th January
BB press: 40 x 4, 45 x 4, 50 x 1, 55 x 0, 50 x 1
Damn! I missed the 55kg press, a weight I could easily lift not so long ago. I am the perfect example that to press a lot, you have to press a lot. As soon as I reduce volume, I lose it.
With the SFG cert coming in 4 weeks, I cannot afford to lose energy on a well thought pressing barbell program, sepecially if I miss my conservatively estimated 1RM. :(
I will then cancel the remaining 2-3 weeks of deadlift and presses program, and just do some easy strength approach to the BB classic and bench presses to keep things going up slowly.
KB press: 20kg x 3 (for the groove)

At least, the SFG practice is going well.
(Getup@28kg, 1+1, double clean@(24+24)kg, 5)
Swing@24kg, 10+10
(Getup@28kg, 1+1, double clean@(24+24)kg, 5, Front squat@(24+24)kg, 5)
(Getup@32kg, 1+1, double clean@(24+24)kg, 5, Front squat@(24+24)kg, 5)
Press@24kg, 5+5

Presses were a bit hard today.
No snatches, as I still feel some uncomfort in the junction between my left hip and my back, and don't want to risk anything. I cancelled today's swing session for the same reason. We will see tomorrow.

Tuesday 30th January

Yesterday injury: left thumb tip cut off. My new cooking knifes are good: the cut was very neat. It is interesting how such a small injury can hurt. Every time my sissy self goes though something like that, my admiration to professional tough guys increases. They face much more than a simple thumb tip cut, and they manage it better than I do.
After cleaning the wound, trying to get the flesh back as best as I could, calming the blood torrent, taping the thumb tip, I finished cooking. I cleaned the knife before, though. :)

I reached this morning 69,1 kg all dressed, which is exactly the target weight for today. This part is going well.

Easy strength session (lifting by feeling):
BB press: 47,5kg x 3, 3, 3
Bench press: 50kg x 5, 60kg x 5

Interestingly, pressing 47,5kg was not as easy as I expected. Considering that I am somehow dieting at the moment, I do not expect big progress, but I don't want to regress either.
I kept the bench press light, as I also have to get the groove back.
I will keep doing the rule of 10 for some time to keep practicing those lifts. It is a nice non-stressing way to keep going.

SFG practice
Swing@24kg, 10+10
(Getup@32kg, 1+1, double clean@(24+24)kg, 5, Front squat@(24+24)kg, 5)
Press@24kg, 5+5
Snatch@24kg, 5+5

Working on the pause of the front squat. I am forcing myself to stay longer than I think is necessary.
I kept everything light at 24 today, except the getup.

No swing session today, to let my hip-back get 100% well. I think I could do them, but I will play safe and keep recovering for tomorrow's snatches.

:eek: The thumb, ouch! Yes I try to remember that too, there are a lot of professional tough guys who ignore all kinds of aches and pains to do what they need to do on any given day. Our task is just to figure out which ones should inform us to back off or slow down, and which ones to just deal with and press on.

Reactions: jef
Wednesday 31th January

Easy strength, rule of 10
BB press: 40kg x 6, 4
Bench press: 60kg x 3, 3, 3

I had to force myself not to go heavier. 40kg feels so light. But there should be easy days. Let's allow the low to be low enough, so that the high can be high (paraphrasing Dan John).
Although quite light, 60kg for the bench feels alright at the moment. I am quite light (69,5kg this morning, all dressed), and I have never been a good bencher anyway. I am back to working on pure technique, not pushing numbers.

I have been re-reading the press section of Power to the people professional, and applied one tip. The first part of the press is an elbow raise. I applied it and it made a difference. I have to re-read the press and bench press sections of the SFL manual too.

SFG practice
One round with 24kg kettlebells (test day).
Mobility routine before starting.
Getup @24kg, 1+1
Swing @24kg, 10+10
Clean @(24+24)kg, 5
Press @24kg, 5+5
Front squat @(24+24)kg, 5

I am investigating with the squat. At the bottom, I wait, go close to relaxing, then tense up again and go up with the grunt. Interesting variation to ensure control.

Snatch, EMOM, alternating hands: 16 reps x 4 sets, 15 reps x 2 sets.
I decided to stay at 16 reps per set until all reps are to the quality standard I expect:
- the lockout must be smooth, not forced,
- hip hinge, hip hinge, hip hinge
- small pause at the top (smiling is optional)

At the 5th set, left hand, the 14th and 15th rep did not respect the standard above, so I stopped at 15, and did only one additional set on the right side with 15 reps. Always stay with quality reps, do not increase for the seek of the number.
Overall, it is still 79 reps at the 5min mark, in a medium hard effort, with a break every minute, so it is looking very well for training. I have no doubt that I could do a snatch test now if I had to.
Moreover, it is becoming more and more likely that I will test with a 20kg. I don't have a 20kg to train, and don't want to buy a pair of those, so I have to keep training as if I would test with 24kg. :)

No pain in hips or back while snatching. I can start my swings again. Yeah! :)

@Anna C
Yesterday, the thumb was still mildly painful (especially outside in the cold), but today, everything seems fine. The small part of flesh I put back in seems to have re-attached, there is no more blood, and I can snatch. :cool:

Thursday 1st February

Gym time, easy strength
KB floor press: 28kg x 3+3
BB press: 45kg x 4, 5, 3
Bench press: 55kg x 5, 3, 2

First set for both barbell presses were not very good. I suspected recovery issue, but it was just a deficit in mental setup, as the subsequent sets all went well and easy.
KB clean: 28kg x 5+5
Clean! I am almost surprised. No banging the arm...

Power clean: 60kg x 2, 1
As I clean for my presses, I just wanted to check if I could still clean at least ONE wheel. I can.

1H Swings, EMOM: 28kg x 10 x 6 min
Easy swings today, low volume, low weight. Looking forward to coming back tomorrow to a real swing session.

SFG practice
Feeling a bit tired and stressed today. I limited to one round.
Getup@28kg, 1+1
Swings@24kg, 10+10
Double clean@24kg, 5
Press@24kg, 5+5
Double front squats@24kg, 5

Playing with the squat: 5 seconds pause at the bottom.
No time nor desire for snatches today.

Last edited:
Friday 2nd February

No more issue in my hips/low back, I can go back to real swings. The dice were apparently very happy with this and gave me 4 6s. Well, that's the rule, 24 sets it is. I played them in weight ladders.

1H-Swing: 28kg x 10, 10, 32kg x 10, 10, 28kg x 10, 10, 32kg x 10, 10, 40kg x 10, 10:cool:, 28kg x 10, 10, 32kg x 10, 10, 40kg x 10, 10:cool:, 28kg x 10, 10, 32kg x 10, 10, 28kg x 10, 10, 32kg x 10, 10
With the heavy kettlebell (40kg is 59% of my current weight) and its huge handle, I noticed last time that I was hinging too soon, and let the kettlebell swing back very low. I therefore focused today on waiting for the hinge, playing chicken. As a consequence, I had much more power on the way back and 10 reps were challenging, but easier than the 8 or 9 reps I was performing last week.
Always keep good form!

No barbell and no SFG practice today. I have no time to go to the gym, and as my kettlebell lifts are more or less in order, I can let go for a day and relax.

Can I hit you up for some thoughts on Flexible Steel? Has it helped you make any strength and/or mobility gains? Do you recommend the program? How much time does it usually add to your practice each day?

@Groove Greaser
I definitely recommend it. As a flexible steel L2 instructor, I am biased, of course, but I find it to be a complete, principle-based, system that do not sacrifice strength to flexibility, and vice versa.
As an example, my squats have helped my splits, as stronger legs are less "scared" to go in a split. And my splits (and the work to go there, like tactical frogs) have significantly helped my squats by allowing me to go very deep while keeping my back straight.

The time really varies. At the moment, I cannot use much time for flexibility, so I just maintain with FS program minimum, approximately 3 times a week, and I am able to keep my splits where they are. All good for 20- 30 minutes per week!

I forgot to count the mobility routine every morning. It barely takes 5-10 min.

Saturday 3rd February
Recovery day.
Early train to Budapest with a friend. Breakfast at historical Gerbeaud café. Bath, sauna, therapeutic massage at Rudas bath. Early afternoon lunch with hungarian beer.
Travel back.
Glass of dominican rhum.
Sleep.

Sunday 4th February
Mobility routine.

1H swing, every 30 sec: 28kg x 10, 10, 10, 10, 40kg x 5, 5, 32kg x 10, 10

I started to feel that I was not really tensing my abs hard on the swing back, and my hips started to bother. Instead of insisting, I stopped and called it a day.
Not the time to be stupid, have sloppy technique and get injured!
Tomorrow will be a better day.

Monday 5th February
Morning mobility routine

SFG practice
1st round @24kg
Getup, 1+1, 1H Swing, 10+10, double clean, 5, Press, 5+5, Double front squat, 5, Snatch, 5+5
Second round @28kg
Getup, 1+1, 1H Swing, 10+10, double clean, 5, Press, 2+2, Double front squat, 4o_O, Snatch, 5+5:cool:
I did a double at the press, of which I am very happy since I was losing pressing strength lately. I may have done a triple, but again played safe: practice to succeed!
The squat were done with a looooong pause at the bottom. I stopped at 4 for the double 28kg. I felt a loss of technique at the 4th rep, so did not initiate the 5th.
On the other hand, I did my first ever snatches with a 28kg. The fear factor plays a huge role with me for this lift. I did two high pulls per arm before. The power was there, the bell went high easily.
So I went for the snatches. When it landed smoothly on my arm, I was like: "Hum. So what? Why the fear? Let's do the full set of 5". Good feeling. :)

Weight check: 69kg all dressed.

Swing session: dice, 3, 3, 5, 5 = 2min@28kg, 4min@40kg, 10min@32kg.
1H swing, EMOM: 28kg x 10, 10, 32kg x 10, 10, 40kg x 10, 10, 32kg x 10, 10, 40kg x 10, 10, 32kg x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10
40kg is doable but lack power at the end of 10 reps (grip issue). I will reduce reps to the magical 7.

Easy strength barbell session, rule of 10
Press: 40kg x 5, 50kg x 2, 1, 2
Bench press: 60kg x 5, 3, 2

I am starting to feel the press again. Last week, it was weak. Getting better. :)

Tuesday 6th February

Short SFG practice
Getup@28kg, 1+1
Swing@28kg, 10+10
Double clean@28kg, 5
Double front squat@24kg, 5
Press@24kg, 5+5

No snatches now. Feeling the overhead position a bit tired after the presses. Postponed until easy strength session.

Easy strength, rule of 10.
Press: 45kg x 5, 5
Bench press: 50kg x 5, 5 (paused, focus on feeling the lats)
Snatch: 28kg x (5+5):cool:

Mobility work
A few cossack squats@24kg, going as low as possible, curls at the bottom.
Front split work.

Wednesday 7th February
Lot of editing work, sitting in front of the computer...

Mobility routine.
SFG practice.
Getup@24kg, 1+1
Swing@24kg, 10+10
Double clean@24kg, 5
Press@24kg, 5+5
Double front squat@24kg, with long pause at the bottom, 5
Snatch@28kg, 5+5:cool:

The entire circuit took approximately 9 min. At this weight, I don't need to rest much. I am happy that I can snatch the 28kg without thinking too much now.

Weight check: 68,6kg

I started the snatch session, but felt off the track. Bad lockout on the left, poor hip hinge. :confused: Stopped after 2 sets of 20@24kg. Will replace the easy swing session of tomorrow with 28kg snatches.
Not every session is a good session.

Thursday 8th February

Easy strength, rule of 10.
BB press: 40kg x 5, 45kg x 5, 50kg x 3
I know, it's not 10... 50kg felt good. I am getting my press back. A few more weeks of easy strength, until SFG and Half-marathon are done, and I will focus more on going to my bodyweight BB press.

No bench today, because I wanted to keep energy for a few snatches @28kg.
Following Aleks Salkin format (5 min EMOM, both hands, 3rd minute is full rest).
Snatch@28kg, EMOM: 5+5, 5+5, 0, 5+5, 5+5
This is 40 snatches with a 28kg in 5 min. Mildly challenging toward the second half. The third minute as rest is a relief!
Next week, I will manage to put a 6+6 snatches session with the 28kg. It feels good and should make the 24 feels much lighter!

Little time for SFG practice, just did a set of getup and swings.
Getup@28kg, 1+1
Swing@28kg, 10+10

Friday 9th February

SFG practice
All with 28kg.
Getup, 1+1
Swing, 10+10
Double clean, 5
Press, 1+1
Double front squat, 5
Snatch, 5+5

Relatively low volume this week, but I mostly kept the load one to two kettlebells above my testing weight, so all is good.
Snatches at 28kg are no problem. I wonder why I waited so long before attempting them...

Swing session.
Dice: 2, 3, 4, 5
1H swing: 28kg x 10, 10, 32kg x10, 10, 40kg x 7, 7, 32kg x 10, 10, 40kg x 7, 7, 32kg x 10, 10, 10, 10
7 reps@40kg is about right to keep some explosiveness. 10 is too much for me at the moment. I will stay there and add more sets, rather than more reps. Left grip is still a challenge!
32kg feels light, and 28kg like a toy. :)

Saturday 10th February

S&S like getups. 10 singles, 5 each arm, alternating arms.
Getup: 28kg x 1, 1, 32kg x 1, 1, 28kg x 1, 1, 32kg x 1, 1, 28kg x 1, 1
28kg is easy. 32kg doable, not challengin, but not easy either.
I feel that I just need to get more practice to quickly get back at the Simple standard for getups (already there with swings). Maybe I will train getups alla S&S between the SFG weekend and the half-marathon.
I am not strictly floor pressing the 32kg every time yet. Another benefit of S&S would be to get there! No doubt that would help my bench.

All dressed, today, I weight 68,4kg. In a boxer, I am at 67,5. One week and a half before SFG. I am still training for a 24kg snatch test but will very likely perform it with a 20kg. Since I started to snatch the 28kg without breaking my arm, the snatch test anxiety is kind of dying...
I can concentrate on perfecting the skills and stop worrying. :)

Sunday 11th February

Mobility routine.
Snatch, EMOM@28kg: 6+6, 6+6, 0, 6+6, 6+6 :cool:
48 reps with a 28kg within 5 minutes. Neither easy nor hard. For sure, I am not going to be able to do a snatch test with this one before some time, but for a non all-out effort, it feels good.
All reps were technically good, which is the most important.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom