all posts post new thread

Strong mobility

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Tuesday 30th June
Mobility work: hack squats & indian clubs.

A&A
Snatch, 28kg x 5/26
This time, my "roaring" was much better and natural. The bell also flew better.
The article by @Pavel Macek really helped me. I was already on the way to this type of snatches by myself, but his observations and deconstruction of the mechanics made me get there about 6 to 12 months sooner that I would have alone. Thank you sir!

Happy to hear that!

Reactions: jef
Thursday 2nd July
Mobility: hack squats & indian clubs.

A&A
Snatch, 28kg x 5/20
Applying a delta 20 principle.
My hands are the limiting factor, not lungs or muscles. With 4 more weeks of A&A, and the re-introduction (hopefully) of the 32kg snatches, I hope to be able to start my next Q&D with the 28. That would be great. We'll see. Still plenty of time.

Friday 3rd July

Plan 410B, Phase 1, W4D3
KB Presses.
The volume starts to be high enough, that I need to cut the session in two. I did my pistol during the break.
As I am using a not so heavy bell (24kg), I really treat this program as a skill practice, and try to implement the check-list before each press. The "tense the glutes-pull your kneecap up" wasone clue I was not applying enough. Working on it.

Leg work
Pistol: 5, 3, 2

Saturday 4th July

Not A&A
Snatch, 32kg x 5/6
It was done in a A&A style, but I cannot call it A&A as there were 6 repeats. Still heavy for me. Not very powerful, but ok. My hands were saying stop. I need to get used to this weight. It's funny, it's only 4kg more than the 28, but I feel the difference...

Monday 6th July

Plan 410B, Phase 1, W5D1
KB Presses.

Pistol : just 5 reps.

Tuesday 7th July

A&A
Snatch, 28kg x 5/16
It was going very well in terms of lungs and heart. I was almost on EMOM, on my way to do quite a lot of repeats. But my hands said STOP. It was a good call to stop, I had a blister ready to open on my right hand, it would not have been pretty. They probably did not fully recover from my 32kg snatches.
I may even replace snatches with swings tomorrow to give my hands some rest.
This is a plan for long term. A small step back is not a big deal compared to the big picture.

Wednesday 8th July

Plan 410B, Phase 1, W5D2
KB Presses.

GTG pistols: sets of 3.

Thursday 9th July

Not A&A
Swing, 40kg x 7/12
As planned, I replaced snatches with swings today. I did not have the 32kg here, so I chose to swing the 40kg one-handed.
Surprisingly, I was able to give quite a good power, the bell swinging to chest level. I had to grip hard anyway, in the palm and not just the fingers, so my hands did not take that much of a rest! :D
Doing one-arm swings with the 40 once a week may actually be a good option.

Friday 10th July

Too many drinks yesterday evening, and not enough sleep. I was basically useless most of the day. No GTG pistols today.
By the early evening, I was feeling good enough to do my strength session (after all, alcohol is just expensive carbs, as Bill Starr wrote in an article a few years back). The session felt good. The volume is getting high. One more week of this phase.

Plan 410B, Phase 1, W5D2
KB Presses.

Sunday 12th July

A&A
Snatch, 28kg x 5/16
Two reasons for such a short session (a bit less than 20 minutes).
The first one is that I am short of time today, and I prefered to do 20 minutes than nothing!
The second is that I still have a callus at the base of my right middle finger, and heavy snatches do not help it.
On the positive, my lion roar is feeling very good, and I am recovering fast between repeats.

Tuesday is going to be a swing day.

Monday 13th July

Plan 410B, Phase 1, W6D1
KB Presses.
It felt good. The volume is increasing only on day 3, so for now, day 1 and 2 just feel easier. This is also the last week of this phase.
I will repeat it with a phase 2 focused on double presses (so indeed, it will be Plan 410A, not 410B).

GTG Pistols. Reps decided by a dice, from 1 to 3. Number of sets by feeling.

Tuesday 14th July

Not A&A
1H-Swing, 40kg x 10/2, 7/8
2H-swing, 40kg x 10/6
136 reps.

I changed from 10 reps to 7 for 1-hand swings, as I felt I could not keep it with full with that many reps for much more sets.
Then I changed to 2H-swings, because my hands were not able to grip the bell enough to continue with power.
Good point anyway: with a bell with a better handle (thinner and smoother), I could do a timeless Solid.
Lighter snatches have kept my hip hinge!

GTG Pistols, from 1 to 3 reps.

Wednesday 15th July

Plan 410B, Phase 1, W6D2
KB Presses.
Not so easy today.

GTG pistols. Not many.
I have troubles to really keep on going on GTG when I am not on holidays. I will write a PlanStrong program for those pistols. When I have a program, it is easy to follow it. Structure helps compliance.

Thursday 16th July

Not really A&A
Snatch, 28kg x 5/14
Lungs and heart quite ok. I was actually close to EMOM. But I now know when to stop before my hand get too far. It forces me to reduce volume on snatches, as a small piece of skin is still not quite right in my right hand. I could play the tough guy and get through, but I don't see the point. I prefer to keep it easier and be able to snatch the 32 on Saturday.

Friday 17th July

Plan 410A, Phase 1, W6D3
KB Presses.
Ready for phase 2.
Phase 1 was just single KB press.
Phase 2 is a mix of single and double KB press.

Saturday 18th July

Not A&A
Snatch, 32kg x 3/6
I had much more repeats in mind, but after a few sets, my technique definitely not being solid and crisp, I stepped back. I know I will got to the point that doing snatches with 32kg is not a big deal, but I am not there yet (at least I am with the 28kg).
Consistency is the key...
It may just take a bit more than planned.

Monday 20th July

Plan 410A, Phase 2, W1D1
2KB Presses.

2KB Front squat: (2x24kg) x 5, 3, 2

Tuesday 21st July

Pistol: BW x 4, 8kg x 2, 12kg x 1.
2KB Front squat: (2x24kg) x 6

A&A
1H-Swing, 40kg x 7/20
Grip is improving. Fast.

Wednesday 22nd July

Plan 410A, Phase 2, W1D1
KB Presses.
Loaded clean + 1/4 getup @32kg x 3
I have not done heavy getup for a long time. Last time, it was at 28kg. 32kg is still another animal. I need some time to get re-used to it.
The cleans were solid. The 1/4 getup will get better with time.

Since last week, I have been going on with my press programm (Plan 410A, phase 2, simple and double KB presses).

I felt stressed and tired, so on the strength part, I scaled back on the squats on wednesday. The press is the current priority, if I do only one, it must be it.

I also had to scale back on squats and swings/snatches, as I was under-recovering. I have done timeless simple (10x10 swings @32kg), but not much more. After months of heavy or fast snatches (alternating A&A and Q&D), it is time to do a more relax "conditioning".
I am going to start again plan 060 (light snatches). It will be interesting to compare with the last occurence, if I made any progress on it.

Little time those days to update my log.

The cruel truth is that I am following the press Plan 410A, phase 2, a boring and straight forward plan. Progress is good and not easy, with a lot of double presses with a pair of 24.

I am also publishing more on my IG/FB account, trying to provide valuable content in a fitness world where most trainers just post cheesy motivational quotes.

I started plan 060 (light snatches) and was pleasantly surprised to see that the internal cost (followed with heart rate) is the same at the last time I did the plan, when comparing sessions with the same duration. It means that I have not gained any aerobic conditioning while alternating A&A and Q&D, but also that I have not lost any either, which is quite good news!

Now I am on a week off in the middle of Slovakia. This is a forced week off for plan 410A, but I took a 16kg with me, so plan 060 is still on.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom