all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Strong! Program Again

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

John Grahill

Level 8 Valued Member
So one more run through the Strong program for me.

Background: over the past few years kind of let myself go and bounced around through several programs in my garage. I tipped the scales at 230 last year and decided to change that. Went on various programs aimed at conditioning and attempted to clean up my diet. 207 right now with a goal of 200.

So I have numerous times attempted the Strong (double clean and press) program with 2/40s in the past and ended up crushed in mid phase 2. Also have injured myself with it as well but that was my fault. Was recently stalled out in various other "random acts of exercise" and decided to change things up.

Had not done much pressing with kettlebells and did a quasi test double clean and press about two weeks ago. I took 2 /32s and got six good reps, 2/36s and got 4 good ones and 2/40s getting two.

Admittedly I'm a little weaker these days but I'm also in my mid fifties! (Hell at this age you can hear yourself getting fatter!) However I am smarter. 5 years ago I probably would have taken the 40s and really gutted out 2 more reps which would have looked like a "dog's breakfast," i.e. spine flexion, body english, etc. and said, "ok here's my tough 4 reps" to start the program. That was the "old" me but the "older" me is smarter now. Getting 4 reps when only 2 are in good form is a 2RM, not a 4RM. Egos need to be left at door!

I decided to use the 2 /36 kg bells and go through Strong again. Back in 2015 I did them through both phase one and then the "slow and steady"and it delivered some of the best results I've had with training. ( The Rite of Passage was the other great program I have done)

As I am writing this I am getting ready to hit up day 5 (10 x 1) and am actually looking forward to training! (Lately training has felt like a nuisance but I'm actually excited about looking forward to training again) including warm up sets with lighter bells I'll be done in about 25 to 30 minutes feeling good!

I'm going through it this time with a changed mindset on another score. My goal is to complete all three phases. I am not going to be adding stuff here to make it more "complete" ... I have recently corresponded with Geoff and have a game plan which echoes my recent posts in the ROP thread....do it as written!

On "off" days I will walk/ruck. I will watch my diet and report back in six months or so hopefully leaner, stronger, etc. with my 4-5 rep max being my 10-12 rep max! Looking forward to this journey.

Last edited:
Love it. Looking forward to your progress!

Got my eye on another run, this time with 2x32kg but with front squats. Last spring I did 2x24kg C&P and it did boost my RM with those bells. I can't manage 2x32kg C&P for reps (nor jerks or push press), but I can manage 4-5 reps of front squat to get started with the sets of 1 and 2.

@Sean M ... It's a great program. Doing the front squat version is a great idea....it makes your whole body strong. I think too many people worry about doing "this that or the other" because it's needed. One of the great things I experienced with running through Strong! was that even though I focussed on one compound lift (cl/press) my others didn't really suffer when I returned to them.

Good one today! Put on some Jason Aldean in the garage, did a couple rounds of 2/28s, then 2/32s for 2 rounds then hit the 10 rounds of 1. Feels like being back home!

@John Grahill you do always and only double clean & press? You didn't add other lifts? How is your session (wark up, some ramp sets, etc..)?
Thank you

@Eugenio yes this time through I'm concentrating on the double clean and press for a few months. I start out with some lighter double bells and do a few rounds and then go up to my target weight (2/36s). I did this more than once and had good results.

The idea is to hammer a "bang for your buck" full body type movement.....not concentration curls ......

@Sean M ....yes I did consider that but I'm trying to get my enthusiasm back and I figured I'd go with what has always worked. It came down to Strong with Clean and Press or the ROP again. Went with Strong and am digging it!

I additionally needed time efficiency, as I spend a lot of time taking care of elderly relatives these days. Strong! fit the bill.

Good to see you back at it, John. I have always enjoyed your intelligent, well thought out, and informative posts and am glad to see you "baring your fangs" again!!

Love it. Looking forward to your progress!

Got my eye on another run, this time with 2x32kg but with front squats. Last spring I did 2x24kg C&P and it did boost my RM with those bells. I can't manage 2x32kg C&P for reps (nor jerks or push press), but I can manage 4-5 reps of front squat to get started with the sets of 1 and 2.
Are you integrating the FS sessions alongside the C&P sessions? I just picked this up and was thinking of running something like this.

My only suggestion with "Strong" is watch adding stuff to the program. When I'm done with the clean and press version, I may pursue a run through with front squats as the movement. Geoff has indicated you can run one day cl/p as A workout and one day of Fsq as B workout but he cautioned it wouldn't be as effective.

From experience, just do as written.

I wonder when to go for one of the plans from 'Strength Shortcuts' and when to go for 'Strong'. Has anybody done both programs?

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom