all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Strong! Program Again

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Tjerr I personally have never combined the two programs but I can say this, I'm slugging through the "slow and steady" right now (just 10 minutes ago finished up multiple sets of 4s)....during phase 2 keeping the rests to 2 minutes or less is certainly a challenge so I'm actually of the mindset that doing the "one" while at the same time doing phase 2 of "strong" may lead to some slight overtraining???

I'm no expert, just guessing but I will say that I don't really feel like doing any other workout or exercises when I am done with my "strong" sessions.

that doing the "one" while at the same time doing phase 2 of "strong" may lead to some slight overtraining???
It can be done, but wouldn’t recommend it for a beginner. You would perform STRONG twice per week and ONE twice per week, with rest the other three days. Stick with the same size bells for both. If they start to feel light on the double swings, then focus more on technique and producing more power with each rep.

I can easily overtrain ( fail to recover) on phase 2 at 2minutes rest. I take 3mins now and still have to take extra off dayd occasionally.

It must also depend on what you do the rest of the week.

I can easily overtrain ( fail to recover) on phase 2 at 2minutes rest. I take 3mins now and still have to take extra off dayd occasionally.

I certainly agree with this, especially with a pair of "challenging" kettlebells.

I just simply would have not made the reps on 2 min rest between sets on certain days of Phase 2. I could breeze through 10x3, but 10 sets of 5 required 3+ minutes of rest or there was no guarantee I would make it. The sessions up being long (and very taxing.)

It could have been my age (late 40s), could have been a change to the Paleo diet I implemented, or it could have been a mild flu, but once I got to 10x5 I was really dragging and in a bad need of a deload and a break.

@Tirofijo , I agree with you too. There were times when I had a tough time maintaining the lowered rest periods. Actually, at this point I am not going to concern myself with them....if I need more, I'll take more. I still feel "worked" and it's still a lot of volume/work!

I just completed Phase 1 of STRONG! with 2x28kg. Below is copied and pasted from my training log:

Kettlebell STRONG! always delivers. Took my PR from 1 questionable Rep with 2x32kg to 2 solid reps and multiple easy singles. I opted to do a few singles with the 32s instead of testing my max reps with 2x28kg.

I have no doubt that if I did phase 2 of strong and ate at a caloric surplus I'd be able to get 4 or 5 reps with the 32s in 16 weeks but I'm opting to focus on fat loss instead and don't want to do phase 2 in a caloric deficit.

After I take care of my body composition I'll return to STRONG! when I can eat at the caloric surplus that makes phase 2 excel.

Approximately how long do the workouts in Strong! last?

I 'm guessing they get longer as the program goes on. Are the workouts in 'One' around the same length?

Last edited:
@Craig1971 , the "Strong" workouts vary in duration depending upon the phase and the day. Including warm up sets I usually get a Strong workout done in a about 25 to 30 minutes.

The "One" if memory serves me is "only" ten minutes but don't let that fool you!

@Eugenio is pretty much correct but in my case the actual workouts take a bit longer in phase 1. Reason is I do several lighter warm up sets prior to the working sets and take a liberal break between working sets. My goal in phase 1 is to gain strength and as such I want to strongly make every rep.

Hi Strong-fans!

I just finished phase 1 of the Strong! program and wanted to share my results here:

I did the cycle with a 76kg barbell and started with that weight as a 4 rep max.
Today was the test day and to my surprise it just kept going up, all the way up to 8 strong reps (clean and press)!

I didn't expect that at all, as I did a lot more work during those 8 weeks of phase one.
I did about 50 - 60 bw pull ups after the clean and press sessions; about 100 - 120 push ups during the days (GTG); included variety days which consisted of 100 (heavy)/80 (medium)/60 (light) one arm swings with a 40kg kb + hanging leg raises (5x5) + back bridge/twist holds/neck work.
So I worked out about everyday (just because I like that, but I probably would have had even better results if I stuck to the simplicity of the program).

After the maximum repetition test with 76kg I also tested the following:

Clean and press 80kg: 4 reps
Clean and press 90kg: 1 (pretty easy) rep
Clean and press 96kg: fail
Clean and push press 96kg: 1 rep
Clean and push press 100kg: 1 rep x 2

I couldn't be more happy with those results! It's such a great pressing template that seems to work equally well with a barbell as it does with double kb's!

I will start phase 2 now to built up to more total training volume and hopefully experience some hypertrophy as well.

The goal is to work up to clean and press sets with my BW (about 105 kg), so I still got a long way ahead but I'm enjoying the process :)

Doesn't surprise me...I did it with dumbbells and rocked the Sig Klein test...2 75s for 12. I was able to get 2 36 kg kettlebells for 12 at the time but 2 dumbbells were a different story...did the 2 dumbbell version of "Strong" and went from 7 to 13 after phase 1. It works.

I've been reading about Kettlebell Strong! and I have been wanting to try it, but I couldn't find a week by week or session by session breakdown of the program. Where might I find it? Thanks in advance!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom