all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Strong! Program Again

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hi everyone, I am about to start Strong! with my wife, but I am wondering which is the minimum for a woman to start the program.

.@Geoff Neupert I would like to know your advice on this, I know it on men but what about women?

Thanks!

Not Geoff but someone who has done the program many times, I would say that if she can do double clean and presses efficiently she could go for it. I believe in his article about the program he listed some prerequisites. I would post the link, but I'm a child/product of the 70s and 80s and as such am a bit "techno-challenged" to say the least.

Thanks John. I found the article and there he says that for a woman it is required to be able to hold in the rack position a third of her weight for 30 seconds and press it at least once.

Thanks John. I found the article and there he says that for a woman it is required to be able to hold in the rack position a third of her weight for 30 seconds and press it at least once.

Where?

@taro , go to the resources section of the Strongfirst site, there is a link for "articles" and this particular article came out in I believe February of this year.

Hi, I'm hoping to highjack this to get some advice. I just finished the first (strength) block of KB Strong with 2x28's. I tested today and managed 8 reps. I only had to grind my last rep but gassed out.

My initial plan was to do the slow and steady program but we're expecting our third child 10 weeks from now and am not keen on a high volume program after that.

Wondering if I should attempt the short course or try to modify it into a medium 10 week program?

@Ian CL , having done both, I wouldn't try to rush the short course, in 4 weeks take note of the volume combined with short rest!

Truthfully speaking the slow and steady would probably fit the bill nicely as those workouts I often got done in less than 30 minutes including the warm-ups. Was usually 20 to 25 3x per week and made great gains! You can even drop back to 2x per week on the slow and steady.

Congrats on fatherhood!

@Ian CL , having done both, I wouldn't try to rush the short course, in 4 weeks take note of the volume combined with short rest!

Truthfully speaking the slow and steady would probably fit the bill nicely as those workouts I often got done in less than 30 minutes including the warm-ups. Was usually 20 to 25 3x per week and made great gains! You can even drop back to 2x per week on the slow and steady.

Congrats on fatherhood!
Id say it depends on your goals. If hypertrophy is the goal, go with the slow and steady. If fat loss, metabolic conditioning, do the short course and as much of P3 as you can before....life changes. If you’re at an 8rm, you’re likely prepared for that. If pure strength is the goal (and you have a heavier pair), test heavier and if you can get 4, start P1 over with those.

Congratulations!!! And good luck!

Thanks @John Grahill and @Reardon55. Might wait a couple days and take my 32s for a spin to see where I'm at. My main goal is strength and ultimately moving up to working sets with 32s. The thought of 10x6 with 28s is a bit intimidating. So I know there are still gains to be had with them.

Hi, I'm hoping to highjack this to get some advice. I just finished the first (strength) block of KB Strong with 2x28's. I tested today and managed 8 reps. I only had to grind my last rep but gassed out.

My initial plan was to do the slow and steady program but we're expecting our third child 10 weeks from now and am not keen on a high volume program after that.

Wondering if I should attempt the short course or try to modify it into a medium 10 week program?
I'd just run the slow and steady but with generous rest periods

I tested with 32s last night and managed 5 reps (just presses). Which was a pleasant surprise. In light of that do you guys still think slow and steady with 28s would be the way to go?

I tested with 32s last night and managed 5 reps (just presses). Which was a pleasant surprise. In light of that do you guys still think slow and steady with 28s would be the way to go?
@Ian CL - Nice job! I would start the program from the very beginning with your new 5RM (the first 24 sessions), then proceed to the "Slow & Steady."

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

You can do that but factor these in when making your choices

You will be sleep deprived due to a newborn

Your stress is redlined daily or almost daily for a few monts

Your recovery is compromised

Given those, if you decide to do ph1 with 32s be extra watchful for your recovery

@Ian CL , I say if you've gotten to 5 strict presses with 32s then you should most certainly be able to handle them for the Strong program!

I think @Mark Limbaga s advice is excellent. I say go for it and cut out excess "stuff" especially with your upcoming fatherhood! The beauty of kettlebells is that they can be stored at home taking up only a little space and you can access them at any time!

Here's another idea. Buy "The Giant" by @Geoff Neupert. It's only $20. Do phase 1 of Strong with the 32's then go into The Giant 3.0 with the same bells.

The reason that I recommend this is that my recovery is always better with reps in the 1-3 range. Higher rep ranges require more attention to recovery for me. This could be complicated with a newborn. The Giant is a time limited auto regulating program with 1-3 reps per set. You could keep increasing the density until you got to EMOM, but after sleepless nights, you could just show up at the bells and do what your body tells you that you. Basically, I'm recommending that you try to make the Giant 3.0 an antiglycolytic protocol that builds your press.

Or you could follow the similar structure that @Geoff Neupert recommended in this article.

...building the sets while keeping the reps 1-3, but the Giant has the auto regulating aspect.

Not a professional...just a thought

Last edited:

Hello I want to share with you the video of my rep max after the first "preparatory" phase of the program (two months) .
Before I was able to achieve 5reps now I
get 8reps of c&p with double 24kgs
I am very happy with the progress so the next step is the slow and steady course.
Matteo

I bought the book last week and I can recommend it to everyone even if you don't want to follow the program.
Everything about technique and the videos are just pure gold. Definitely worth the price.

Just wanted to let you know!

Agreed. I cleaned up my clean.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom