all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Strong! Program Again

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Not John but my guess is since he will be recycling ph1 a couple of times, he'll use the short course to peak eventually then decide after what the next step should be

Why not do the long course(or whatever it was called)?
Not John but my guess is since he will be recycling ph1 a couple of times, he'll use the short course to peak eventually then decide after what the next step should be

I think @John Grahill is referring to the recommendations in this new article by @Geoff Neupert, which is great by the way, if you havent read it.

Why not do the long course(or whatever it was called)?
I did consider this as that is what I did in 2015. However, I am older now and also lighter in body weight. I'm handling the weights but feel I could benefit from a more "strength based approach" for a while longer before tackling the "work capacity"-type protocol. I eventually want to take down the 36s in the "short course" as my long term goal at a leaner body weight.

@Mark Limbaga, @Oscar .... Your replies are both spot on! I emailed Geoff about this a few days ago and I'm going to bounce a plan of attack off of him shortly as to how proceed!

You do know that's why when Geoff was on his hiatus I would email you as who better to bounce ideas off of than one of his longtime students :)

Wow, time flies! Phase 1 is done with the exception of the Rep Max test which I will do tomorrow or Saturday. How that goes will dictate which step is next.

As my initial weight goal has been met I'm pretty confident It'll deliver the strength increase results as usual!
keep us posted about your test and how you proceed.

"Strong!" delivered again! I reached my initial weight goal which was an even 200, When I first started this thread I weighed 207 and three days ago I was 198.8. My initial rep max with 2 36 kilogram bells was 4 reps. Today I got 8 reps! (pretty certain the 9th rep would have been truly sloppy/dangerous so I didn't try)….. So in a nutshell I doubled my rep max and was able to get into a pair of jeans I hadn't been able to wear comfortably for quite a while.

Simple in design, challenging in execution!

Proceeding directly to the "short course" is not going to happen at this time like I had initially hoped. Those 8 reps hit me hard and at my age I don't want to risk it. There is no way that in 3 weeks I would be able to do 10x6 with condensed rests. Given more time to ease into it, yes I could! patience is the key here.

I'm extremely impressed with the strength and muscle gains I've been making as well! I just finished workout 17(I think) this morning before a nice hot cup of coffee. I'm just using double 16s though, at one point I could 10rm them but have had different focuses lately and that number went down to 4-5.

I don't understand what is up, I've done Clean and Press programs before, but my biceps are seeing more progress than maybe ever before.

@John Grahill , was has your diet been like through this process?

"Strong!" delivered again! I reached my initial weight goal which was an even 200, When I first started this thread I weighed 207 and three days ago I was 198.8. My initial rep max with 2 36 kilogram bells was 4 reps. Today I got 8 reps! (pretty certain the 9th rep would have been truly sloppy/dangerous so I didn't try)….. So in a nutshell I doubled my rep max and was able to get into a pair of jeans I hadn't been able to wear comfortably for quite a while.

Simple in design, challenging in execution!

Proceeding directly to the "short course" is not going to happen at this time like I had initially hoped. Those 8 reps hit me hard and at my age I don't want to risk it. There is no way that in 3 weeks I would be able to do 10x6 with condensed rests. Given more time to ease into it, yes I could! patience is the key here.
nice man. When you are maxing are they straight presses or c&p. You gonna run through phase 1 again at double the reps?

I'm assuming you're doing prep strong before jumping into slow and steady or are you diving straight in?

Anyone given thoughts on the one program a+a yet. Most a+a is 5 reps a set and from the q&d book it says 200 reps is about the most a person can perform powerfully in a session.
Do we think double swings are a different beast and maybe do more or less reps a set, and maybe 200 reps as an upper limit is too many?
I assume a person could just treat it as do as many reps that allows you to do emom and quit for the day when you can’t keep that pace. Wave the volume. Try to improve with time.

Anyone given thoughts on the one program a+a yet. Most a+a is 5 reps a set and from the q&d book it says 200 reps is about the most a person can perform powerfully in a session.
Do we think double swings are a different beast and maybe do more or less reps a set, and maybe 200 reps as an upper limit is too many?
I assume a person could just treat it as do as many reps that allows you to do emom and quit for the day when you can’t keep that pace. Wave the volume. Try to improve with time.

I haven't done strong endurance yet but here's an option...

Follor the timed work ratio and then do 10 sets total, rest dictated by the talk test and if your power drops

Just did my rep max, the last day of the first phase.

Before KB Strong, it was 4-5 reps(don't remember the exact number) with 16k, and just now it was 10 reps with 16k. I could have probably gotten one or two more with form breakdown.

After about 15ish minutes, I tried with 20k:

In the beginning, with 20k, it was slowly, barely inching out a single Clean and Press(I think I initially checked maybe a week or more into the first phase, so it may have been 0 at the very beginning), and today it was 6 reps with the 6th rep faster and strong than the first one weeks go :O.

This was realllllly unexpected. In fairness, I used to be able to do around 3 with the 20k, but I think 6 in a row is the most I've ever done. I could have pumped out one more junk rep, or push-pressed it, but figured I better not mess with my shoulder if I want to continue onto phase 2 tomorrow.

I actually can't decide if I want to go to phase 2, or redo phase 1 with 20k haha. I think I will stick with the plan since this is my first time through Strong and the results don't lie.

Thank you Geoff, these results are a welcome and unexpected surprise.

Yeah, definitely my thoughts as well(follow the plan as written). I am curious what other might do in a situation where a size up became a new ~5rm.

It is true what they say though, strength comes back pretty quickly, which was very cool to see. I think it previously took me many more weeks to work up to work up to 10 reps with 16k.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom