all posts post new thread

Nutrition strong while dieting

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deadlifter_

Level 1 Valued Member
I am following the daily dose Deadlift plan with the goal of competing in Deadlift only meets.
For one year i ate like a pig because every powerlifter said and wrote (see tnation, louie simmons, lbeb etc) that in order to be strong you have to eat a lot, i followed that and ended up fat. I am 100kg x 180cm and right now i am following a diet made by my nutritionist with 800kcal deficit under my tdee with the goal of reaching 85kg
In pavels pttp he says you dont need to be a big bodybuilder to be strong , but what is the strongfirst members opinion about strength training while losing weight or eating not too much?
I want to be a strong puller but i am tired of having big guts ang people telling me to do sports or telling me i dont look like i lift.

This is just one of those things - to get stronger and bigger, you do have to eat enough, but it's possible to overdo it and it sounds like that's what you've done, and now you're dieting, so that's the right thing for you for now.

If you get back to your original weight but you're stronger, then it worked - it's that simple.

It all depends on whether you wish your strength gains to be neural or hypertrophy based, or both, and that's up to you. It seems that most people want both. I've chosen to go the neural route - I don't care what numbers I'm moving in absolute terms, only to make the best use of what I've got. I don't fight with body recomposition if it happens, but since I compete at the deadlift in a weight class, I get on the scale almost every day and keep my weight within a few pounds of what I need to be at for competition - that's my choice.

You ask, "... what is the strongfirst members opinion about strength training while losing weight or eating not too much?"

It's fine - strength train while losing weight. It may not be the most fun way to strength train but it's still very much worth doing.

-S-

Thanks again steve.
I never wanted to be big and muscular, just strong and now more than anything be a strong deadlifter so i guess it is more neural.
I see many powerlifters or oly weightlifters who are skinny but still strong and i highly doubt they eat over 3000 kcal and still manage to have that low bodyfat. In training i dont feel tired at all also because the ddd plan is way much easier than the past routines ive followed.

Sounds good. PTTP is similar to the DDD - a few more reps, and a different approach to cycling, but also worth your consideration.

-S-

What you think about the paleo diet for strength ?
Meat (chicken), eggs, nuts, olive oil, fruits (ex. Apples and avocado), green veggies (ex. Spinach)? Seems like the most natural way of eating
Ive tried the high carbs with no success for the past months and still didnt lose weight although is everything calculated.

@Deadlifter_ I personally think this is the way to go. I recommend an excellent book called Paleo for Lifters.

What you think about the paleo diet for strength ?
Meat (chicken), eggs, nuts, olive oil, fruits (ex. Apples and avocado), green veggies (ex. Spinach)? Seems like the most natural way of eating
Ive tried the high carbs with no success for the past months and still didnt lose weight although is everything calculated.
I'm curious about the exclusion of avocado and spinach

I'm curious about the exclusion of avocado and spinach

I thought the ex. stood for "example", like "i.e."

I also think that is the way to go (although I don't think pure paleo is the way, too restrictive on some items that might have value). Look up the Primal Blueprint (ignore the constant and now way overboard marketing stuff that site is into now, but the original idea and book is still very good)

I am wondering why you would limit your meat to chicken, eat everything that moves!

I thought the ex. stood for "example", like "i.e."

I also think that is the way to go (although I don't think pure paleo is the way, too restrictive on some items that might have value). Look up the Primal Blueprint (ignore the constant and now way overboard marketing stuff that site is into now, but the original idea and book is still very good)

I am wondering why you would limit your meat to chicken, eat everything that moves!
Maybe he does mean for example (I hope so:)) (it's early for me, maybe I'm not awake yet)

Thanks guys yes ex. Stands for example.
What other kind of meat would you eat? I like chicken and it is cheap but i am ok adding something else. Maybe fish like tuna?

Well...I used to be 'vegetarian', then ovo-lacto, then fish, then poultry. Now I'm pretty much with @ClaudeR .... Anything that moves. (Within reason)
You can do it vegan or vegetarian, but it's too much work (for me), and not for me anymore. I think that a lot of folks here will advise you to go for quality in your choices above anything else. But as far as 'meat choices' go it's all fair game (pun?). Chicken, duck, beef, pork, lamb, fish, shellfish, bison, venison... The list goes on and on. And yes there are concerns and controversy, and opinions with how natural your meat is. Things like farm raised fish, mercury levels in fish, feed lot vs grass fed beef, hormones, antibiotics... It's all enough to make you head spin.

I used to be vegan then vegetarian then introduced chicken. But if i exclude dairies then i need more meat/fish.
Unfortunately about natural food it would be great to eat bio, local etc but i dont have so much money. I just maybe prefer to avoid industrial fish. Although i eat meat i have strong environmentalist believes and id rather eat it from local fishermen since i live in an island, here dairy and local fish dominates so ill maybe go with that.

A question: i know paleo refuses dairy because hunter gatherers just lived off wild meat and wild plants /fruits, but what is the health reason? Diabetes?

Just came back from the grocery store.
Wanna ask some opinions about this diet, i dont really count calories i just hate maths

Breakfast:
10 almonds
1 apple
5 whole eggs cooked with 2tbsp of olive oil

Lunch:
Turkey breast 200g
Veggies at least 300g (ex. Broccoli, spinach, zucchini or tomatoes)
Olive oil 2 tbsp

Dinner:
Cod 100-150g
Veggies 300-400g
Olive oil 2tbsp

If i am right is high fat, moderate protein (1.5 x lean body mass), low carbs (under 50g i guess).

I'd be mindful of mixing fruit with fat and protein - an apple has a decent amount of sugar, and I'd leave that go through your system by itself. Almonds and eggs, OTOH, are mostly fat and protein.

-S-

I'd be mindful of mixing fruit with fat and protein - an apple has a decent amount of sugar, and I'd leave that go through your system by itself. Almonds and eggs, OTOH, are mostly fat and protein.

-S-
i can eat the apple after or before training by itself

that looks like a good day of food, if you feel you are not hungry! if you feel hungry, eat more fat, meat, vegetables! If you feel very lethargic or run down, maybe get a bit more carbs as rice or quinoa or potatoes, something that you can actually recognize as a food (that disqualifies anything in a box, or anything with grains in it), and reassess

dairy appears to be problematic for some people going from immediate results (if you have it you'll know it) to nasal congestion, acne, some general inflammation feeling things... if you have any of those leave out dairy for 30 days and see if there's any change. If not, well, leave something else out, retest
That is the same actually for EVERYTHING you want to try, doesn't matter if it's food, exercise, anything. Get a good baseline then leave out or add in whatever you think you should, then reassess. One thing at a time! (Dan John explains this very well!)

If you do not suffer of any of this, well, the world's your oyster, enjoy full fat yogurt, cheese, anything that you like! Go for the least ingredients and the most local, done

My understanding of the way this works is that protein and fat cause different things to happen in your stomach than carbs and sugar, so it's best to keep them separate.
i can eat the apple after or before training by itself

I would just have the apple at another time, separated by a couple of hours if you can, maybe as mid-morning snack instead of part of breakfast.

-S-

Thanks again guys. Ill probably feel a bit hungry at first because i am used to more food and way more carbs. But id like to eat with that diet 6days a week and 1 day ill give myself a free cheat meal (like pizza beer and ice cream) just to enjoy time with friends. .

About the apple ill eat it as a snack few hours apart from the other meals

Just to throw my 2 cent in (I agree with pretty much all that's been said), if you really feel like you "have" to have carbs, try to wait until the evening to have them. Abruptly cutting carbs can be difficult, but if you have the self control to wait until dinner or later, and to eat a higher quality carb source like squash or sweet potatoes, your body will thank you. Carbs earlier in the day seem to slow you down, and make you want carbs more. In the evening you can just go to sleep and it's a non-issue.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom