all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Stronger Back

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Breaking Bad & Fast

Level 1 Valued Member
Ok so I've been doing the Naked Warrior routine for a month now and recently I bought a pullup bar. I have done 5x3 3x week but now I have gotten stronger with my OAPUs and have increased reps. I am afraid that my push/pull balance will be off. So what should I do? I thought of a program similiar to the bear where I do 15 sets of 3 reps. Maybe it will also help with hyperthropy for a nice bonus. Should i try it or do you guys have a better program?

All advices are welcomed and thanks in advance.

Ok so I've been doing the Naked Warrior routine for a month now and recently I bought a pullup bar. I have done 5x3 3x week but now I have gotten stronger with my OAPUs and have increased reps. I am afraid that my push/pull balance will be off. So what should I do? I thought of a program similiar to the bear where I do 15 sets of 3 reps. Maybe it will also help with hyperthropy for a nice bonus. Should i try it or do you guys have a better program?

All advices are welcomed and thanks in advance.
FPP

Hello,

I second @offwidth The efficacy is proven

FPP is often reported as a tough program due to the volume, especially if the person already follows another demanding routine or is not used to do pull ups.

My point is that we do not have to be afraid to slightly alter it by performing it on alterne day

Another option can be ladders of pull ups (with uneven pull up or any challenging bodyweight variation)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Ok so I've been doing the Naked Warrior routine for a month now and recently I bought a pullup bar. I have done 5x3 3x week but now I have gotten stronger with my OAPUs and have increased reps. I am afraid that my push/pull balance will be off. So what should I do?
Ignore your fear that your push/pull balance will be off unless and until you have evidence that it is.

-S-

I agree with Steve, but also I would take an caution. Make sure that you know (and apply) how to pull yourself in the push: in OAOLPU, from a straight arm plank you row yourself to lowest position (bent-arm plank).

Even when you do that, fews extra pull is fine. Or just hang/play around with the bar. The key imo is not care much about the program (set/rep) yet, just learn the proper form and apply tension skill.

Hello,

+1 to @q.Hung

I have noticed improvement in back health (strength, but also flexibility and mobility) doing full back bridges push ups. The one leg version also works on stabilty.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

+1 to @q.Hung

I have noticed improvement in back health (strength, but also flexibility and mobility) doing full back bridges push ups. The one leg version also works on stabilty.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I need to learn to do full back bridges! Don't know what excites me so much about them. Could be from when I read Convict Conditioning a hundred times!

Hello,

@Stefan Olsson
I picked this move from CC to be honest !

This was really a game changer. I am a desk worker. Even if I do my best to have an active lifestyle and am cautious with posture, this move feels so good. This is a blend of strength and stretch. Plus, it is possible to scale it fairly easily. If you can incorporate it in a daily flexibility / mobility routine, this is great because you will progress fast.

Deadlift is wonderful for back strength, but this is not calisthenics.

I remember an article written by A. Kavadlo, where he put bodyweight move to get the same "stimuli" than a DL: pistol squats, SL DL, HLR...and back bridge ! In another article, he mentioned that he was able do DL 2x bdw after drilling the technique. Not necessarily impressive by SF standard, but still quite good for a calisthenics only guy.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Stefan Olsson
I picked this move from CC to be honest !

This was really a game changer. I am a desk worker. Even if I do my best to have an active lifestyle and am cautious with posture, this move feels so good. This is a blend of strength and stretch. Plus, it is possible to scale it fairly easily. If you can incorporate it in a daily flexibility / mobility routine, this is great because you will progress fast.

Deadlift is wonderful for back strength, but this is not calisthenics.

I remember an article written by A. Kavadlo, where he put bodyweight move to get the same "stimuli" than a DL: pistol squats, SL DL, HLR...and back bridge ! In another article, he mentioned that he was able do DL 2x bdw after drilling the technique. Not necessarily impressive by SF standard, but still quite good for a calisthenics only guy.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Would you recommend the progressions/regressions from CC or have you found other ways to complete it?

Hello,

Would you recommend the progressions/regressions from CC or have you found other ways to complete it?
This is what I followed and it worked well for me.

A few points:
- I still find it "dangerous" to lean backward to get into the position (for instance your hands can slip on the ground...which occurred to me by the way). I consider this is safer starting from the floor (you put your feet against your but, your hands next to your ears, then you get into position
- Do not necessarily follow the sets & reps. Consider it firstly as a stretch, so go by feel. If it feel painful, stop at this stage of the ROM, hold a few seconds, then back off, then repeat while you can maintain good form. This is especially true for progression 6, 7 and 8

Kind regards,

Pet'

I feel I can do them pretty comfortable on my head (starting position of prog. 4), but from there I seem to lack power?! and flexibility.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom