all posts post new thread

Barbell Stronger Off Chest, Weaker Lockout

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JeffC

Level 7 Valued Member
What are some of your most useful special exercises for improving the top end of you Competition Bench?

I have been using the Slingshot for a while. I like it a lot for overloading the Bench Press. It has held up well with a lot of use. It has worn in a bit and not as strong as it was new, but seems to have leveled off in strength. Like a torsion spring Gripper does after some use.

A strong Bencher and Powerlifter suggested to add lockouts, Pin Presses, and/or heavy unracking. He said, on a separate day, I would use Press Day because I do volume Bench after Press, do 3-5 x 1 OT30sec and drop a bit of weight for 1 x 3. Sounded like a good place to start.

I have used Pin Presses before. Never set that high though. I have set the pins on and very close to the chest. I have never really used Board Presses, but it’s an option.

I use the flare and pushback technique, so Tricep strength is important. I do like Overload training but have never used it much, except Slingshot, for Bench Press. My Bench is still slowly moving forward, but feel like I am close to a deload. If I can get some more mileage out of this progression by adding a special exercise I am interested in others experience and opinions.

Board presses seems to be more popular than presses from rack pins. My impression is that they are, to generalize, more helpful for more people than pin presses, but I think you'd have to try to be sure.

Close grip bench is a classic supplemental exercise that focuses more on triceps - have you tried those. If memory serves, Pavel mentions them in one blog as also being helpful for overhead kettlebell presses. I didn't see mention of them in your post.

-S-

Look up Rippetoe’s video on Lying Triceps Extensions. These are pretty effective at improving the strength of all three heads of the triceps.

Would chains be an option?

I am getting accommodating resistance with the Slingshot, but I was thinking of changing to a band after the end of this cycle.

I have played with chains a little bit in the past, but setting up the lift is a chore. I have the equipment at home but not my gym. I like the stability challenge of the chains swinging around that you don’t get with a band or slingshot.

I like the slingshot a lot but it changes the feel a bit because you have to force the elbows out to eliminate overtucking the elbows. If that is a problem, which it was for me, it helps or hurts.

I remember doing JM Presses long ago for that.

I have never tried the JM Press. I have tried the Dicks Press for Bench and overhead for Press.

Similar exercises. I would use them for 2-3 x 8-16 after my Bench work sets. I could use JM Press similarly.

Board presses seems to be more popular than presses from rack pins. My impression is that they are, to generalize, more helpful for more people than pin presses, but I think you'd have to try to be sure.

Close grip bench is a classic supplemental exercise that focuses more on triceps - have you tried those. If memory serves, Pavel mentions them in one blog as also being helpful for overhead kettlebell presses. I didn't see mention of them in your post.

-S-

I have never used Board Press consistently before. I have used Pin Press quit a bit though.

Board Press would be easier to implement not having to unload, change the pins, and reload the bar I have done them by shoving a foam roller or yoga Block or two under my shirt.

Now I am leaning more toward Block Press. I just have to move my safeties up a notch or two.

Look up Rippetoe’s video on Lying Triceps Extensions. These are pretty effective at improving the strength of all three heads of the triceps.

I like Rippetoe Tricep Extensions. I even used a similar exercise for Weightlifting. He calls them the fourth powerlift.

For Weightlifting were would use an Olympic bar, on a bench, lower the plates to the floor, and pull them from a dead stop explosively. Similar?

I was doing them for a while recently. When ever I program Tricep Extension I either do them on the floor Westside style or this style.

It is my favorite heavy Tricep exercise and I found it helps develop the arch and leg drive well also.

I dropped them for more Pushdowns and Dumbell Rolling Tricep Extensions. I do them for higher reps. After this cycle I may put Rippetoe Tricep Extensions Back in.

I am doing Wendler’s Boring But Big to build more work capacity and hypertrophy. Maybe some peak strength loss is to be expected in the short term.

Last edited:

I have been doing Close Grip Bench on Press day 50-60% x 5 x 10, and Incline Bench on Bench Day for same. I start Close and move out a finger or two each set.

@Bro Mo JM Press. I could see it having good carryover to the Press also. I am considering replacing CGBP for it on Press Day for my BBB exercise. Now that is see it it’s very similar to the Westside style DB Rolling Tricep Extensions I have been doing.

Spoto mentioned doing them on Smith Machine. That’s a Kaz Press. It was his favorite tricep exercise.

Last edited:
I have had a lot of success implementing reverse band bench presses because it allows s me to overload. The band should have no tension (not helping you lift the weight) with your arms fully extended. If you need help choosing a size band, let me know. I do these with singles only because I may use a weight that is above my max, 105% for example. I may do this in preparation for a meet. I don't do it a whole lot because the heavy weights fry my CNS.

I also like doing board presses. I think you would really like this, it was a real game changer for me. Choose a board location right at or right below your weak point. My weak point was about 1 or 2 inches off of my chest the last time I used them. So aIr used a 1/2 and 1 board as an accessory. I use "bench blokz" because I train alone. I highly recommend this product if you want to try board bench pressing. I personally don't like pin bench presses because it's a slightly different movement and it gets me out of my groove. Although this exercise could probably make you strong, in general, which is a good thing.

As others have pointed out, improving your triceps is a must. Close grip bench, incline bench, and floor press are great assistance exercises. Also consider some supplementary triceps focused exercises (even triceps and upper back isolation exercises are good, bodybuilding type training).

+2 for board press. When I competed board presses gave me more carry over than anything else I used.

What are some of your most useful special exercises for improving the top end of you Competition Bench?

I have been using the Slingshot for a while. I like it a lot for overloading the Bench Press. It has held up well with a lot of use. It has worn in a bit and not as strong as it was new, but seems to have leveled off in strength. Like a torsion spring Gripper does after some use.

A strong Bencher and Powerlifter suggested to add lockouts, Pin Presses, and/or heavy unracking. He said, on a separate day, I would use Press Day because I do volume Bench after Press, do 3-5 x 1 OT30sec and drop a bit of weight for 1 x 3. Sounded like a good place to start.

Good Recommendation

As you know, the benefit of preforming Lockout Bench on a separate day, first in your program is you are freadh and able to push more weight, overloading the it to a greater degree.

Preforming them on your Bench day is fine. See how that works.

Sling Shot

This elicits essentially the same training effect as band and/or chains; it Accommodating Resistance Training. The muscle is worked more through the full range of the movement.

Ice Cream

Bands, Chains, and the Sling Shot are like different flavors of ice cream. While similar in nature, each evokes a slightly different training effect.

I have used Pin Presses before. Never set that high though. I have set the pins on and very close to the chest. I have never really used Board Presses, but it’s an option.

Pin Press

Your weak point in a movement isn't where the bar stop moving. It is a couple of inches below where it stop moving. That means, you need to place the bar in the rack a couple of inches below where you stall.

Car Analogy

When you run out of gas, the car will keep rolling. When the car stop isn't where you ran out of gas.

The Ascending Strength Curve

The Bench Press is an Ascending Strength Curve. The weakest point for the majority is from right off the chest to 1/3 of the way up.

Thus, the overload in Traditional Bench Pressing (no Sling Shot, Bands or Chains) occurs in the first third of the movement.

The remaining two-third of the Bench Press is under loaded, under trained.

Thus, the Sling Shot, Bands and/or Chains allows you to overload the Bench through the full range.

Another alternative is...

Partial Movements

Partial Pin Pressing allows you to overload the top end of the Bench Press.

Board Presses

This is essentially like Pin Presses. It is a good movement.

I use the flare and pushback technique, so Tricep strength is important. I do like Overload training but have never used it much, except Slingshot, for Bench Press. My Bench is still slowly moving forward, but feel like I am close to a deload. If I can get some more mileage out of this progression by adding a special exercise I am interested in others experience and opinions.

Deload

Hopefully, that means you are following a Periodization Training Plan.

For some reason, many view a "Deload" as decreasing the load for one training session or one week.

if you have pushed the limit in a training cycle, deloading for one session or one week work in the short run but not in the long run; in comparison to a Periodization Training Program.

Kenny Croxdale

I like Rippetoe Tricep Extensions. I even used a similar exercise for Weightlifting. He calls them the fourth powerlift.

The Fourth Powerlift???

When I read things like this from Mark (who I lifted with), I immediately have to go take some aspirin and lay down.

I am not sure how he come up things like this.

Yes, the movement does engage all three head of the triceps.

However, it is more of a "Power" movement, not a Limit Strength Training Movement that increases Triceps Strength.

Mark's "Triceps Extension" has a place in training but not when it come the focus on increasing Lockout Strength.

Additional Bench Press Lockout Training

1) Isometric In The Power Rack; This method allows you to innervate all of the muscle fiber.

2) Functional Isometrics: Placing the bar on pins. Then place another set of pins a few inches above where the bar sits. Progressively load the bar over a few sets.

Drive the bar/weight off the bottom pins and perform an Isometric for 3 - 5 seconds.

3) Cable Triceps Exercise

This exercise is a "Bell Shaped Strength Curve".

The triceps are under loaded at the beginning and end of the movement.

The overloading occurs in the middle range of the exercise.

However, that all changes when you perform Rope Cable Triceps Exercises; the over load occurs in the middle and end range of the movement; simulates Lockout Bench Press overloading.

The article and information below demonstrates how the torque of flaring the rope apart at the end dramatically increase the "Lockout Load".

A New Angle on Cable Training | T Nation

artGraphic4.jpg

Kenny Croxdale

My weak point was about 1 or 2 inches off of my chest the last time I used them.

Ascending Strength Curve

The Bench Press is an Ascending Strength Curve" had at the bottom and easier the higher you push it.

The majority of lifter like you have the same issue.

As others have pointed out, improving your triceps is a must.

Raw Bench Pressers

While the Triceps are important, the primary focus with need to be in increasing Limit Strength and Power off the chest to a greater degree than Triceps Exerises.

Bench Press Shirt Lifters

This group need to hammer Triceps Exercise to ensure they are able to completed, Lockout the Bench Press.

Kenny Croxdale

As you know, the benefit of preforming Lockout Bench on a separate day, first in your program is you are freadh and able to push more weight, overloading the it to a greater degree.

Preforming them on your Bench day is fine. See how that works.

I liked Pin Press on my Press day. I work ful range with Press and Close Grip Bench, then finish with some Lockouts. I will keep Slingshot on Bench Day for a while longer and change it out for a Band or Block Press. Not sure yet.

I have been doing Wendler 5/3/1 for a while. I like it so far. It fits my goals and life. I deload every seventh week, for a week of higher volume and lower intensity, as per the program.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom