all posts post new thread

Off-Topic StrongFirst books?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Is the new book tailored towards a specific level of athlete or hobbyist? Plenty of the previous books have been written with the novice in mind - and nothing wrong with that. But what is the target audience of this book like?

Yesterday's StrongFirst newsletter says, "Introducing RELOAD: Your Barbell Strength Blueprint. This purposefully concise digital book (US$5.99) takes one of history’s most successful strength training methodologies and shows you how to customize it and make it nearly foolproof. One caveat—this program is not intended for beginners. "

@Anna C, good catch.

I'd say, however, that a person who's taken our barbell course would be un-beginner enough to follow the guidance in Reload. Would you agree?

-S-

I'd say, however, that a person who's taken our barbell course would be un-beginner enough to follow the guidance in Reload. Would you agree?

I downloaded it last night and have given it a quick first read. Someone who has taken the barbell course could understand and follow the guidance, yes. But would it be an appropriate program for them, if they were just getting started witih lifting (and by that I mean, generally speaking, they have done the lifts less than say, 3x/week for 3 months or so)? From what I can tell, it is not.

I downloaded it last night and have given it a quick first read. Someone who has taken the barbell course could understand and follow the guidance, yes. But would it be an appropriate program for them, if they were just getting started witih lifting (and by that I mean, generally speaking, they have done the lifts less than say, 3x/week for 3 months or so)? From what I can tell, it is not.
I guess that will be a judgement call - does someone know how to perform the lifts well enough to do them safely and effectively? If not, then I agree, the first order of business is acquiring the necessary skill.

When the necessary skill has been acquired, could Reload's programming be followed as one's first structured period of training? I think so.

-S-

I’d be curious to hear anybody knowledgeable discuss the differences to other popular barbell programs like 531 or Starting Strength, which to an outsider all look like power lifting.

@Steve Freides or @Martine Kerr or anyone, do you have a timeframe or any kind of estimate when we will see Reload on Kindle?

Antti,

If you've ever tried it you can send a pdf by email to your kindle email address and it will auto convert so you can read it.

I purchased the Reload pdf today and have skimmed it. I think if you know your 1RM and 5RM for the big lifts then you would have the level of experience to benefit from the programming. If you add in the accessory work as well then I think it looks like a programme that could rival 5/3/1.

I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom