all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed StrongFirst Endurance Training

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ANoorda

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello. I’m 15 years old, 135lbs, very lean, this is my third year lifting weights, and wrestling is going to start in a few months. I was looking for a book or program made by someone at StrongFirst (like Pável) to help get me through 2 hour practices endurance wise.
I was thinking that S&S and Q&D wouldn’t do it because they are short and wrestling is long and with very few breaks. I’d love to go to Pavels seminar taking about this but can’t.
What do y’all think? What’ll will get me to be able to go for 2 hours nearly nonstop?

thanks.

Hey man, welcome to the forum. If you are 15 and been training for 3 years, that's awesome.
Can you tell us a little bit about your current strength levels in the typical exercises you do? For example, if you have tried the S&S routine, which size bell can you do it with consistently? Which programs have you tried, and how did they work for you? How confident are you that you are lifting with solid technique in your exercises

A few things to consider as well:
- S&S can be short OR long, depending on your ability. Remember that you want each swing to be crisp and powerful.
- Remember that the training session doesn't EXACTLY have to mimic the demands of your sport.
- depending on your maturity level you are right around the age of your growth spurt, which can definitely be a factor in the success of your exercise routine.

Looking forward to your answers

Hey man, welcome to the forum. If you are 15 and been training for 3 years, that's awesome.
Can you tell us a little bit about your current strength levels in the typical exercises you do? For example, if you have tried the S&S routine, which size bell can you do it with consistently? Which programs have you tried, and how did they work for you? How confident are you that you are lifting with solid technique in your exercises

A few things to consider as well:
- S&S can be short OR long, depending on your ability. Remember that you want each swing to be crisp and powerful.
- Remember that the training session doesn't EXACTLY have to mimic the demands of your sport.
- depending on your maturity level you are right around the age of your growth spurt, which can definitely be a factor in the success of your exercise routine.

Looking forward to your answers
Thanks for answering.

I lifted at school under the school coach’s guidance and got to these numbers.
Squat 1.25x bodyweight,
Bench 1.25x bodyweight
Deadlift 1.5x bodyweight.
Usually I go to pre season to get into shape but this year I thought I’d focus on lifting instead this year.

Welcome to the forum .

S and S especially given your weight when you get to using the 32kg bell will have a significant carryover to your mat strength.

My personal experience having not done any bjj for years, I managed to pull off a lot of guard passes and managed to scramble better just because I had better strength and movement quality.

I would personally use StrongFirst Road Work with either the Slow Twitch Protocols or S&S.

Strongfirst Road Work
Running or Shadow Wrestling at a pace that allows you to continue to talk with a couple reps of a strength movement every 2-3 minutes:
Pavel said:
Run. Shadow box. At intervals you have set for yourself—so many minutes or so many phone poles—stop and do one to three pistols. At the next stop do a couple of one-arm push-ups. Here and there do both pistols and push-ups. No rest at all and just a couple of reps.

Slow Twitch Protocols
On the Joe Rogan podcast, Pavel said that his Slow Twitch Protocols were a good option for Wrestling:
Pavel said:
So [...] for wrestling [...] that's a good protocol. So this is essentially a muscular endurance protocol

S&S
S&S is another good option as mentioned above by a couple of Instructors.

The nice thing about choosing to go the S&S route is that mastering Simple opens up a lot of options for further training protocols in future years.

Whatever you choose, Best of Luck @ANoorda !

Consider also Strength Aerobics

Don’t neglect low intensity aerobic training. You’ll need solid aerobic fitness to make it through 2 hr practices with enough energy to work on skills, as well as recover between them.

Y’all surprised me. You found some really good articles that I’ve never noticed. Thanks. I will definitely do the strength aerobics and sometimes the run showdown box.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom