all posts post new thread

StrongFirst O-Lifting Seminar

Anna C

Level 9 Valued Member
Team Leader Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Sinister
Two of these events have been held already -- one in Italy in Sep 2022, and one in Dallas in March 2023, which I attended -- and I see two upcoming events on the schedule now:

1685986382655.png

With opportunities approaching, I just wanted to share my experience and impression of this seminar.

In a word -- GREAT! I would certainly recommend anyone to attend if you can. You will learn the basics of Olympic Lifting, how to effectively use these lifts, progressions, and drills in your training, and how to teach and coach others to do the same. Master SFG Jeremy Layport is the instructor for this seminar, and he really knows his stuff in this area. Even better, he really knows StrongFirst fundamentals, skills, and principles, so he is able to seamlessly weave these into this "new" area for StrongFirst.

Unlike most weightlifting / Olympic lifting courses and events, this one is not focused on becoming a competitive weightlifter, i.e., to go to meets and do maximum snatch and clean & jerk in 3 attempts. (Will it help you towards this end? I think so. I've done 3 meets since doing the StrongFirst O-Lifting course and I feel like it was beneficial in my weightlifting development. However, it's not the intent or end goal of the course.)

More to the point and more towards something that can benefit everyone -- the course is about using these lifts to achieve training objectives. Specifically (in my words): power development, strength development, mobility, balance, quality movement.

If you think the barbell is only about pure strength development -- think again!
  • If you're not used to holding posture and positions with an empty barbell, you will be amazed at how taxing it can be.
  • If you've never moved and received a barbell FAST, you will be amazed at how much power and finesse is required. Much like a kettlebell, but in many ways more demanding.
  • Mobility will be challenged in new ways. Just put that barbell overhead and try an overhead squat...
  • And don't be fooled by thinking there are only 3 Olympic Lifts (snatch, clean, jerk). There are many, many variations of them, and they can all be used individually as training exercises both to progress your full lifts or simply to develop other physical qualities.
And of course, as Master SFG Jon Engum says, "The secret to happiness in life is to put heavy stuff over your head." There is no better way to get heavy weight overhead than a barbell clean & jerk! That's what got me hooked on Olympic Lifting back in 2019... :)

This is a hands-on course so be prepared to work hard and work with teammates, just as with any StrongFirst course or certification. However, there is no testing requirement. Also it is easily scalable to ability (or temporary/permanent disability), so don't be dissuaded if you're not in top form. Also good for any skill level. I've been weightlifting in this format for 3 years and I found it to be very beneficial. Many others had no experience with these lifts and had an equally good time.

I've attended a lot of courses and certs, both StrongFirst and otherwise, and have never regretted any of the time or money spent. This course is certainly no exception. It's yet another way to invest in your own development and physical health.

So, check it out!

Thank you for this timely writeup! I was literally taking a look at the event page for the Ashburn seminar this morning. I was considering attending but wasn't entirely certain of the recommended skill level for attendees. OTOH it is a ways out so that gives me time to prepare a bit

Thank you Anna,

I am thrilled you enjoyed it. Your post summed up my thoughts on the course exactly.

Thank you and continue to represent StrongFirst on the competitive platform so well.

Jeremy Layport

This workshop is at the top of my list for the next 12-18 months! I have very little experience with Olympic lifting but I’ve always wanted to learn and practice it. And I know I’ll love learning from @j_layport.

Very excited to have this type of training as a part of what we offer at StrongFirst.

Not directly related to the seminar, but definitely related to the topic and seems like a good place to share...

Kettlebell Training for Olympic Weightlifting

My friend SFG II Rebecca Rouse has just released an outstanding product on hardstyle kettlebell for Olympic Lifting. In addition to the solid text and great information, she has 4 sample warm-ups with kettlebells and 4 sample workouts with kettlebells that are designed to enhance your weightlifting (Olympic Lifting), all with top quality example videos for every exercise. I bought a copy and can definitely recommend it. I'll be putting the warm-ups to use right away.

Not directly related to the seminar, but definitely related to the topic and seems like a good place to share...

Kettlebell Training for Olympic Weightlifting

My friend SFG II Rebecca Rouse has just released an outstanding product on hardstyle kettlebell for Olympic Lifting. In addition to the solid text and great information, she has 4 sample warm-ups with kettlebells and 4 sample workouts with kettlebells that are designed to enhance your weightlifting (Olympic Lifting), all with top quality example videos for every exercise. I bought a copy and can definitely recommend it. I'll be putting the warm-ups to use right away.

I'm curious if she's using deadstop / no-swing cleans. ;)

I'm curious if she's using deadstop / no-swing cleans. ;)

I think I have seen her use both, on Instagram.

However in the book/program, there are no kettlebell cleans, so no demo to check. Also no kettlebell snatches. It looks to me like it's geared for simpler kettlebell moves, since they are being used to prime or supplement barbell Olympic lifts.

I think I have seen her use both, on Instagram.

However in the book/program, there are no kettlebell cleans, so no demo to check. Also no kettlebell snatches. It looks to me like it's geared for simpler kettlebell moves, since they are being used to prime or supplement barbell Olympic lifts.

That makes sense to use the simpler moves, in that context

Back
Top Bottom