all posts post new thread

Kettlebell StrongFirst Reload Cycle and S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mikhael

Level 9 Valued Member
Hi all,

I'm wondering how to schedule a plan in which I would like to have S&S sessions and DL with Squats as in Reload? I have 5-6 sessions of S&S with 32kg (Timeless Simple competed), but I think in order to add some DL and SQ I would have to reduce to 3-4.
The main goal would be to get stronger, and I would like to dedicate the rest of the year to reach the aim (starting from 6 SEP).

I would be appreciate for any suggestions

Stay Strong. Stay Hard. Get After It.

Pavel recommends to cut it down:
If you follow a high-load strength training regimen, seriously training for a sport, or have a physically demanding occupation, do S&S two to three times a week. Do not expect to progress at the same rate as a girevik or girevichka dedicating five to six times a week to Simple & Sinister.

You could do the abbreviated Reload schedule such as Option C and then do S&S on the day after => 2 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on, 2 days off.

Or perhaps you could do an abbreviated and split S&S volume based on V&P and Reload Options D or E, for example

Mon: SW & SQ (based on V&P SW vols)
Tue: BP & TGU
Thu: SW & DL (V&P)
Fri: sq, bp, TGU

So not really S&S but still training the two core exercises.

Some write that they benefit from S&S on a recovery day but my back was fatigued after heavy SQ and DL.

Ok, I got it. But if instead of two lift I would like to remain with Deadlift only? That would be more suitable?
P.S. I just realized I'm addicted to S&S :)

Ok, I got it. But if instead of two lift I would like to remain with Deadlift only? That would be more suitable?
P.S. I just realized I'm addicted to S&S :)
Mikhael I don't know if it helps, but on the free version of the StrongFirst app there is a program called kettlebells and deadlifts. It is free and has two parts. Seems great but I haven't done it. If you are willing to make adjustments you could consider it

How many days will you spend on Reload?

If you use 4 days schedule, with only squat and deadlift then it will be 2 days for squat (1 light, 1 heavy), 2 days for deadlift (1 light, 1 heavy). It takes about 30 minutes - 1 hour based on your strength and condition level. You can add SnS after that, using a lighter weight for swing if you feel necessary.

Or you could split your S&S to a.m. and Reload p.m.
I don't think I could recover from that much heavy swinging and deadlifting though.

Swings are performed with 32 kg only, as well as Tactical Getup. I understand that if I start Reload the number of S&S will have to be reduced to 3 per week. If I focus on DL and SQ and do them x2 per week in a way DL-Heavy / SQ - Light, DL - Light /SQ - Heavy, that would give me two days off. Kind of doable, but recovery might be an issue.

On Reload I found week 5, 7 and 8 a challenge recovery wise. But that was training barbell only.
Perhaps the swings can help your recovery.

I routinely do 2 days a week of reloaded BB work (floor press and zerchers currently) with 2 days a week of kb ballistics (usually alt A+A & Q&D)

It works great imo
I was just about to suggest this, but with a different perspective. Some of the heavier programming options that pavel has included in his writings seem to come with a caveat: start with 3xWeek and see how you recover. If you are recovering well increase to 4xWeek and 5xWeek if you're recovering.

So, I see a 2 day per week suggestion as the smallest suggestion in RELOAD and 2xWeek for maintenance of S&S .

Barbell, S&S, barbell, S&S might be a good rhythm.
4 days a week. And if it's feeling a little light, then you can add a day the next week and see how you're recovering.

I'm considering something like this:
S&S
Reload (DL-Heavy, SQ-Light)
OFF
S&S
Reload (DL-Light, SQ-Heavy)
S&S
OFF

But there is other option when it comes to DL. I might shift focus on PTTP.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom