all posts post new thread

Kettlebell StrongFirst SFG Kettlebell Course, September 26, 2015, Brno

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Juri

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello StrongFirst community,

A month ago I attended an SFG Kettlebell Course in Brno, Czech Republic. In a perfect world I would’ve posted a review of the event ages ago. Weeks have passed and I’ve finally managed to put a few of my thoughts into writing.

The course was taught by Pavel Macek, Justyna K. Mackova and Pavel Konvalina - my sincere thanks to all of you. You made the event a success for me and I’m sure, for the other participants as well. The pointers I received for improving my technique have guided me on my Simple & Sinister journey since.

If you’re new to kettlebells, but already feel you’re on the right path, make attending an SFG course or seeking out an SFG instructor for private lessons a priority. If not possible immediately, make it a long term goal. A further point to consider - the course might seem expensive at first, but think of it as an investment for a healthier future.

Best,
Jüri

I also was at the course in Brno, and wanted to give it a review, so I am going to use your thread. :)
I waited a little bit to have time to really assess the benefits.

I have some experience with kettelbell, have read many Pavel's books, done a cycle of ROP with the 16kg years ago, and have a good basis with barbell. Not strong or even advanced, but not a novice anymore.
After a layout of a few months, my upper boddy strength went down, and at the time of the course, I could just lift a 24kg once with each arm. I was doing S&S twice to thrice a week with the 24 in complement of my 3 times a week barbell training (early intermediate level).

The course seemed expensive at first, especially for Central Europe. But I have absolutely no regret to have taken it.
Some people might think it is a good course for beginners. It sure is, but I would also recommend it to more experienced lifters.
Having the theoretical knowledge before the course helped me to focus on the concrete application and immediate corrections of the moves, and I believe I benefited even more from the course.

What I personnaly took from it:
- my form on the swing was overall OK (checked with a RKC a few years ago). I was nevertheless made aware of necessary corrections (more hip hinge at the setup, lay back less) that I would not have noticed alone. I keep focusing on correcting these two things at every S&S session.
- my getup dramatically improved. I could do it with a 24 kg, but not with as much a good form as I thought. I now know what to work on.
- I finally got the right move for a KB press...
- I understood what is the Hardstyle plank (which I never did by just reading about it, although I thought I did).
- I can re-read SF material and understand better the little details. It means that it provided me enough insight, so that I can keep progressing on my own.

As for the teachers, they showed how professional they were, but pointing out to everyone what needed to be corrected.

I cannot talk for absolute beginners, as I was not one. But for early intermediate and people already familiar with SF material, I think it is breakthrough, highly valuable, and a very good deal.
It actually motivated me for preparing for a cert...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom