all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Strongfirst WOD Minimums

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jaime Sanabria

Level 2 Valued Member
Hey! I’m interested in keeping in reducing the number of exercises to focus on to as minimal a number as possible while also getting full body benefits. I am inclined to the Program Minimums (Bent Press + KB Snatch, ab work) (KB Swing + Get Up + Goblet Squat) or simply a routine of Clean & Jerks + Hanging Leg Raises.

I could easily stick to one of these minimums and just get better at it over time, i.e the concept of the WOD. I just would like to know which you all would pick and why? Maybe something different? And are there any imbalances that would be created by simply doing these minimums? Would it be advisable to rotate between these at all? Thank you for your help, have a nice day.

For reference, I have a 16kg, 24kg and 32 kg KB but am planning on buying duplicates of each by Christmas.

Hey! I’m interested in keeping in reducing the number of exercises to focus on to as minimal a number as possible while also getting full body benefits. I am inclined to the Program Minimums (Bent Press + KB Snatch, ab work) (KB Swing + Get Up + Goblet Squat) or simply a routine of Clean & Jerks + Hanging Leg Raises.

I could easily stick to one of these minimums and just get better at it over time, i.e the concept of the WOD. I just would like to know which you all would pick and why? Maybe something different? And are there any imbalances that would be created by simply doing these minimums? Would it be advisable to rotate between these at all? Thank you for your help, have a nice day.

For reference, I have a 16kg, 24kg and 32 kg KB but am planning on buying duplicates of each by Christmas.
Well we all have different goals and requirements… but answering this question from my personal perspective…
S&S | Pull-ups | Running

Hello,

@Jaime Sanabria
I agree with @offwidth . I'd add press into the mix though. It would not necessarily be something with high volume. For instance, it could be Soju & Tuba. A strong press motion will get the job done as far as core training is concerned.

Otherwise, a steady diet of swings and presses can be great as well. Red Zone can be great in this regard. However, it will still require pull ups, running and possibly a mobility routine. One of the cool thing about the GU is that it incoporate the "mobility bare minimum". I gained way more strength doing Red Zone (which is some sort of easier version of ROP as the volume is even from a session to another) than with S&S.

Overall, what's your goal ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thank you both for your comments. I should have clarified my goals- General, non specific fitness. I am mainly looking for strength endurance and a health amount of cardiovascular benefit. I enjoy girevoy sport for this reason, and am considering taking it up at some point. If it helps, I HATE running. But I will do it, if I must. Thanks again!

Hello,

If you do not like running, you can ruck or swim or row. The idea here is to have a steady state cardiovascular activity (30 minutes+)

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'll again quote the new StrongFirst course:

"Develop total body strength with just two highest yield lifts (Fact: some of the strongest athletes in the world are ultra-minimalists)

The Deadlift—the most “functional” strength exercise and the most hardcore lift of all time

The Bench Press—the undisputed champion for building upper body strength faster than any other exercise"

@Jaime Sanabria great responses so far. Personally, I like your idea of cycling through those templates in a sustainable way and as @pet' and @offwidth have said, balance it out with aerobic work too.

If you don’t like running, you could try rucking too. Great way to transform what would be a walk into an aerobic development session. Step ups are great too.

"Develop total body strength with just two highest yield lifts (Fact: some of the strongest athletes in the world are ultra-minimalists)

The Deadlift—the most “functional” strength exercise and the most hardcore lift of all time

The Bench Press—the undisputed champion for building upper body strength faster than any other exercise"

This is PTTP with bench press instead of side press, which is what I have been doing the past month and so far so good. I took my 5rm in deadlift from (estimated, as I never reached my breaking point before) 250 to 265, and my bench from 155 to 185 with just 10 reps a day. I expect to hit a new 5RM PR on bench of 190 tomorrow, and will likely start a new cycle next week. However, I do feel like I am lacking in GPP more so than when I was doing S&S, so there's definitely compromises in this routine.

This is PTTP with bench press instead of side press, which is what I have been doing the past month and so far so good. I took my 5rm in deadlift from (estimated, as I never reached my breaking point before) 250 to 265, and my bench from 155 to 185 with just 10 reps a day. I expect to hit a new 5RM PR on bench of 190 tomorrow, and will likely start a new cycle next week. However, I do feel like I am lacking in GPP more so than when I was doing S&S, so there's definitely compromises in this routine.

I'm not sure this actually forces a certain routine, rather just the two lifts to focus on.

A different routine for different goals.

Hello,

If you do not like running, you can ruck or swim or row. The idea here is to have a steady state cardiovascular activity (30 minutes+)

Kind regards,

Pet'
How many times per week/month is necessary for these activities if the goal is just health maintenance?

If I don't have access to a barbell, only kettlebells and my bodyweight, which two high yield lifts would be comparable in this regard? I guess that's more or less what the Program Minimums are, huh?

@Jaime Sanabria great responses so far. Personally, I like your idea of cycling through those templates in a sustainable way and as @pet' and @offwidth have said, balance it out with aerobic work too.

If you don’t like running, you could try rucking too. Great way to transform what would be a walk into an aerobic development session. Step ups are great too.
That sounds reasonable, I can definitely do that. Thank you for your reply.

If I don't have access to a barbell, only kettlebells and my bodyweight, which two high yield lifts would be comparable in this regard? I guess that's more or less what the Program Minimums are, huh?

For just two lifts, a clean and a press.

Well, Kettlebells 101 teaches Swings, TGUs, and Goblet Squats, so basically S&S.

But the general idea is a hip hinge (lower body pull) and a press.

Could also be
- Snatch (+ Bent Press)
- Clean & Press
- Clean & Jerk

Maybe even Sprints + Pushups.

Novocaine Training might work well for you.

I just would like to know which you all would pick and why?
Well, S&S, because Pavel said so :D

Seriously, it covers a lot of bases in a gentle way. I intend to unpack my GPP a bit more with LCCJ in a couple of months.
(My idea is to follow the BJJ fanatics LCCJ plan, together with Swings in Q&D 044 format and some TGUs here and there.)

I have a very fuzzy schedule (working full time in home office, and having kids), and so the availability of KBs in the living room is a big plus. And I often split Swings and TGUs into seperate sessions, which is very convenient for me.

I intend to unpack my GPP a bit more with LCCJ in a couple of months.
There is no other lift the produces more joy and sadness than LCCJ, esp doubles if you ever go that route. I have the BJJ Fanatics protocol too. May give it a go down the road.

Another really potent combo is DKJ + DFS complexes, chains or both down in series format eaving the volume and number of series.

I did KB Berserk by Hec G for 3 months, focused on DKBJ and the last month was pure Double LCCJ. That last month was hell.

ould it be advisable to rotate between these at all
Yes, sometimes you can catch an injury that prevents you from doing your chosen exercises and have something else to train it's good.

Personally, I like a squat variation, a hinge variation. Also, when I think of PM, my mind is more like minimum in terms of volume instead off exercises....

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom