all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed "Strongland" docuseries on Netflix

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

sizzlefuzz

Level 6 Valued Member
Thought I would recommend "Strongland" on Netflix. It's a series of 3 documentaries on strength sports in different countries. The first focuses on the culture of 'rural sports' as they call it in the Basque region of northeastern Spain. Rural sports: Basque rural sports - Wikipedia.

The episode on the Basques primarily focuses on the event of stone lifting, though they also show examples of wood chopping, stone dragging, anvil lifting, and farmer's carries (which makes sense, since all of the sports are basically derivations from farm work in the Basque country). I thought the interesting part about the stone & anvil lifting events was that there a lot of similarities to hardstyle & kettlebell sport. For example, some of the events focused on lifting a set stone or anvil for the most reps in a specified amount of time, while others focused on more technical variations (one handed, etc.) for maximum weight. It was pretty cool stuff!

The 2nd & 3rd in the series are focused on Scotland & Iceland, I plan to watch those tomorrow during blizzard conditions that are expected, so I won't have much time to do much aside from clearing snow & recovering!

Are these the films that Rogue produced? If so I saw the Iceland and Basque episodes on YT. They were interesting, though I thought the Iceland one was a little too long. They could have told the story more concisely. The Basque one was interesting for the variety of events they contest. I’d heard of it, but didn’t know the scope. Worth watching fersure.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom