all posts post new thread

Barbell Stronglifts 5x5 - Shoulder Press

• Thread starter Deleted member 6651
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
How exactly did you neglect your flexibility and mobility, and stall in the lifts?

I've found that the lifts themselves are great mobility exercises. Like the back squat - nothing teaches me to squat as well as it, and nothing gives a greater flexibility and mobility for the squat than pause squats with a serious load and a long stretch in the hole.

I stalled on the lifts because I wasn't using correct technique.

In my experience, yes the back squat was a mobility teacher, but I wish I had added in extra mobility work and stretching in order to unlock my hip flexors and my tight shoulders. It would have seriously helped me at the time.

@G-man, watch some online videos of people performing the lifts you're doing. That'll get you started. Read about good form on those lifts, then get some coaching.

-S-

Military Pressing is almost an art form. Its by far the most fickle lift to progress. I learned years ago that my entire body would give out before my pressing structure would give way once the reps got up around the 5rm range. You can see here it starts to give way on the 5th rep.

I had much better results from doing heavy sets of 1-3 reps, and then lighter weights for 5 reps. These lighter weights just provided the volume I needed. I basically used a Hepburn type progression to Military Press 240lbsx1 at around 180-185lbs.

Please explain a Hepburn type progression or give a link.

Thanks.

-S-
Steve,
There are many different variations. The one I used to get the best press numbers was the following:

warmup to the top weight used for singles

Start at 4 singles and add one singles until you get 10 singles and then add a little bit of weight and drop back to 4 singles and work back up to 10 total again. I'd take about 3 minutes rest between sets.

then I'd drop back to a lighter weight, something I could probably press 10-12 times fresh and do 10 sets of 5 pretty fast, usually as fast as i could get them done. I also supersetted them with dumbbell rows a lot. I think I may have a video of that somewhere....yep

Now here is the catch on this. I did this every 2 weeks. Not what most people would prescribe but man I got strong on it. I was thick as heck then too. I went to Sarasota for training and wondered into some fitness joint. I had old dirty sweats that I'd threw into my luggage in a hurry. Every one was so nice clean, tanned and shaved! I heard some people laughing at me, but once I started Military Pressing 225 for what ended up being for 12 sets of 2 reps, the place would come to a halt when I'd start a set. I laughed when I went out the door. Anyway, this was about all I did.

Week 1
Day 1- Military Press

Day 2- Squats

Week 2

Day 1-Bench Press

Day 2- Deadlifts

Military Pressing is almost an art form. Its by far the most fickle lift to progress. I learned years ago that my entire body would give out before my pressing structure would give way once the reps got up around the 5rm range. You can see here it starts to give way on the 5th rep.

Nice pressing, @Jeff Roark ! It's good to see some barbell videos on here.

Have you tried a wider stance? I've made that change recently for the barbell military press, changing from a narrower kettlebell press stance to more of a barbell squat stance, and I find that I prefer it.

Nice pressing, @Jeff Roark ! It's good to see some barbell videos on here.

Have you tried a wider stance? I've made that change recently for the barbell military press, changing from a narrower kettlebell press stance to more of a barbell squat stance, and I find that I prefer it.

Anna,

Yes, I tried it a few times but I found, as strange as it may sound, that I was much stronger with a true "position of attention" stance. I'm just able to screw my feet into the floor hard and this allows me to tighten my quads and rump much harder than when I widen my stance. On some of my lifts I've been able to create so much tension that my quads would cramp really bad, it would happen especially when I would go for rep maxes. So, with that said, I just couldn't generate the same tightness so I gave it up. Also, tried the staggered stance and it wasn't any better.

Of course it may not work as well for others as it does for me.

Jeff

I have been working a linear progression schedule and I have to say that the OHP is probably my favorite lift. It has been VERY difficult continually adding weight every week. I really listen to my body every time I press and have started going by feel. One thing that has helped me tremendously is crushing the grip, holding my breath during reps, and keeping my glutes and abs tight.
I can't remember where I read about crushing the grip and holding your breath during a few reps (Pavel?) but it has really helped me. But yeah...its tough to keep adding weight to that lift! But I love it.

I have been working a linear progression schedule and I have to say that the OHP is probably my favorite lift. It has been VERY difficult continually adding weight every week. I really listen to my body every time I press and have started going by feel. One thing that has helped me tremendously is crushing the grip, holding my breath during reps, and keeping my glutes and abs tight.
I can't remember where I read about crushing the grip and holding your breath during a few reps (Pavel?) but it has really helped me. But yeah...its tough to keep adding weight to that lift! But I love it.

One of the biggest mistakes is thinking one has to add weight every week. You simply do not have to do that to get strong. These phone app cookie cutter routines are disasters for some people.

I will add to the conversation @Jeff Roark. Your Press is nice. Definitely a Military Press. My I use Squat width stance. It is easier for my to activate my legs and glutes. Do you Deadlift very narrow?

https://www.strongfirst.com/community/threads/fat-dads-gym.8898/page-38#post-181516

I use more of an Olympic Press style than your Military Press style. I push my hips forward and use my arch. For me it helps my Bench and Log more than the more upright posture. The sequencing and timing of Overhead Pressing is as technical as any other lift.

I am focusing on my last work set of Wendler 5/3/1, going for reps, and sacrifing some form.

One of the biggest mistakes is thinking one has to add weight every week. You simply do not have to do that to get strong. These phone app cookie cutter routines are disasters for some people.

I agree. There are other parameters, like more volume and/or shorten rest which works best for my overhead strength. I know my Overhead Pressing improves most from volume than intensity. You have to learn to go for it when you feel good, and do enough when you do not have it today.

Direct Tricep work like Pushdowns and Extensions helps a lot in progressing my Press. That is something I am adding back in. Dips are great but Lying Tricep Extensions and French Press are good for getting through the forehead level sticking point most people have.

@Jeff Roark Do you do direct Tricep exercises?

Last edited:

Thanks Jeff. I cannot add weight every week. I do not use the app to lay out my training, just to log it. I like the app for motivation only and as a way to keep track of my progress and how my previous training session went. My training is dictated how my body feels and I load/deload accordingly or change volume. This definitely seems to be working for me. My charts have a wavy look to them and I always feel stronger after a few lighter sessions. Anyway, I have enjoyed reading your posts and like the idea of doing heavy singles followed by light work. Thanks for the inspiration.

Steve,
There are many different variations. The one I used to get the best press numbers was the following:

warmup to the top weight used for singles

Start at 4 singles and add one singles until you get 10 singles and then add a little bit of weight and drop back to 4 singles and work back up to 10 total again. I'd take about 3 minutes rest between sets.

then I'd drop back to a lighter weight, something I could probably press 10-12 times fresh and do 10 sets of 5 pretty fast, usually as fast as i could get them done. I also supersetted them with dumbbell rows a lot. I think I may have a video of that somewhere....yep

Now here is the catch on this. I did this every 2 weeks. Not what most people would prescribe but man I got strong on it. I was thick as heck then too. I went to Sarasota for training and wondered into some fitness joint. I had old dirty sweats that I'd threw into my luggage in a hurry. Every one was so nice clean, tanned and shaved! I heard some people laughing at me, but once I started Military Pressing 225 for what ended up being for 12 sets of 2 reps, the place would come to a halt when I'd start a set. I laughed when I went out the door. Anyway, this was about all I did.

Week 1
Day 1- Military Press

Day 2- Squats

Week 2

Day 1-Bench Press

Day 2- Deadlifts

Jeff- I am on a 1 day on 2 day off training schedule. So I lift every 3rd day. I'm doing the deadlift, military press, low bar squat, and bench press every workout. What are your thoughts on this? Do you feel like it is too much volume? Would I better off doing 2 movements per session and alternating them each workout? I'm 50 years old if that matters. Thanks.

I will add to the conversation @Jeff Roark. Your Press is nice. Definitely a Military Press. My I use Squat width stance. It is easier for my to activate my legs and glutes. Do you Deadlift very narrow?

https://www.strongfirst.com/community/threads/fat-dads-gym.8898/page-38#post-181516

I use more of an Olympic Press style than your Military Press style. I push my hips forward and use my arch. For me it helps my Bench and Log more than the more upright posture. The sequencing and timing of Overhead Pressing is as technical as any other lift.

I am focusing on my last work set of Wendler 5/3/1, going for reps, and sacrifing some form.

I agree. There are other parameters, like more volume and/or shorten rest which works best for my overhead strength. I know my Overhead Pressing improves most from volume than intensity. You have to learn to go for it when you feel good, and do enough when you do not have it today.

Direct Tricep work like Pushdowns and Extensions helps a lot in progressing my Press. That is something I am adding back in. Dips are great but Lying Tricep Extensions and French Press are good for getting through the forehead level sticking point most people have.

@Jeff Roark Do you do direct Tricep exercises?

I have used tricep extensions in the past but I was never really consistent with them. They are like a lot of things I plan to do during training but they end up not being done. When I pressed my biggest weights I did do some extra tricep work. On the flat tricep extension I worked up to 155lbs for 3 sets of 6 bringing the bar to my chin, this was with a straight bar. I was also much younger then. Over time I found that decline extensions were much easier on my elbows and actually hit my triceps much harder. A grip of hands wider than elbows seemed to give me the best carryover to pressing. If I do them now(rarely) I do the decline style with ez-curl bar and do much higher rep rest-pause sets. I try to use a weigh that allows me to hit 30+reps for the total.

Jeff- I am on a 1 day on 2 day off training schedule. So I lift every 3rd day. I'm doing the deadlift, military press, low bar squat, and bench press every workout. What are your thoughts on this? Do you feel like it is too much volume? Would I better off doing 2 movements per session and alternating them each workout? I'm 50 years old if that matters. Thanks.

Yeah, I'm getting ready to turn 43 and with the weights that I can use, that would kill me off. Give me a bit and I'll type up what I was doing before I decided to change my training focus on a new thread.

Thanks bro. Much appreciated.

Didn't get a chance last night. I'll try to post a few thoughts this evening when I get home from work. Just didn't want you to think that I had left you hanging. Heading out the door after I swallow this last bit of coffee.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom