all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Stu McGill's Big 3 Core Exercises

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Ricey

Level 5 Valued Member
Incorporating these into my routines, but I can't find any reliable source whcih shows how seconds, reps and sets Dr McGill himself recommends, anyone here got any idea?

Also, regarding the side-plank move, I have seen both a side bridge (essentially a side plank with some of the weight taken on the lower legs) and a side plank mandated. Which one is Dr McGill's preference?

"Unlike training for pure strength or power, the endurance component of stability requires the body to perform many repetitions of an exercise in order to see improvements. Dr. McGill advocates for using a descending pyramid rep scheme with 10-second isometric holds in order to enhance stability without fatiguing and over-working the body.

An example program would be to perform five reps, then three, and finally one to end (each with an 8-10 second hold). Rest between each set for 20-30 seconds. As this rep scheme becomes easier, it is recommended to increase the amount of repetitions rather than the duration of the holds in order to build endurance without causing muscle cramping.3This can be freely modified to suit your current individual level of endurance and goals (for instance using a 6-4-2 or 8-6-4 rep scheme)."

Incorporating these into my routines, but I can't find any reliable source whcih shows how seconds, reps and sets Dr McGill himself recommends, anyone here got any idea?

Also, regarding the side-plank move, I have seen both a side bridge (essentially a side plank with some of the weight taken on the lower legs) and a side plank mandated. Which one is Dr McGill's preference?

He goes into this in his book, Back Mechanic, FYI.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom