all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Stu McGill's Big 3 Prerequisite for S&S?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

SacMan

First Post
Hi,
My goal is to begin Simple and Sinister, and eventually reach the Simple Goal.

I'm currently working on the Kalos Thenos TGU and Kettlebell Dynami as advised by Dan John.
Things Are Going So Well, Help Me Screw It Up, Part 2

I currently own Stu McGill's back mechanic and in the book he mentions a protocol for his "NonNegotiable Big 3". Pavel and McGill seem to have a close connection. So I was wondering if doing his Big 3 exercise progressions are a prerequisite for S&S? Or will clearing the FMS be sufficient? (Cleared my ASLR but still have a shoulder mobility assymetry 3 on the left 1 on the right)

I'm struggling on the Bird Dog, Curl ups, and side planks.

Thank you!

@SacMan I would advise both: The FMS screen to clear for pain or injury and the McGill Big 3 as an everyday practice.

These exercises focus on promoting spine hygiene through the reduction of spine motion with increased motor control (reflexive stability) during activity. And that is always a good thing.

FMS is your best yardstick here.

-S-

Pavel shared your story about working with the kettlebell after a back injury on a recent podcast with Tim Ferriss. It was very inspiring to hear!

I did a self screen using Dr. Mark Cheng's Template within his Tai Cheng program. When it comes to programming and correcting them, is this something I can do myself? (Using youtube videos or, "Secrets of. . Series", Kalos Thenos 1 and 2 breakouts, or any resources you may be able to suggest?).

Or will I be wasting my efforts? I'm on a tight budget, but want results.

@SacMan I would advise both: The FMS screen to clear for pain or injury and the McGill Big 3 as an everyday practice.

These exercises focus on promoting spine hygiene through the reduction of spine motion with increased motor control (reflexive stability) during activity. And that is always a good thing.

I'm going to start the Big 3 Protocol today. How did you implement it as a daily practice? (Do them throughout the day, do them as a warm up before a workout, etc ?)

Pavel shared your story about working with the kettlebell after a back injury on a recent podcast with Tim Ferriss. It was very inspiring to hear!

I did a self screen using Dr. Mark Cheng's Template within his Tai Cheng program. When it comes to programming and correcting them, is this something I can do myself? (Using youtube videos or, "Secrets of. . Series", Kalos Thenos 1 and 2 breakouts, or any resources you may be able to suggest?).

Or will I be wasting my efforts? I'm on a tight budget, but want results.
Tough to say. FMS is the gold standard, don't know Doc Cheng's stuff but I would certainly trust that, if he says you're good, then you're good

Programming is another issue - S&S is where we recommend most people start.

-S-

Everyone is different but in my case I have always had a weak lower back. I started with S&S and a 16kg bell and I'm still doing it 10 months later but with a 32kg bell.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom