all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Stupid question (probably)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 6372

Something I have noticed, is most programs designed for kettlebells are for single bells (unilateral work). There are a few that do use two, but not I have came across many. Any reason for this?

I get why S&S and RoP are one bell only for the record.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I understand, S&S is not designed for a single bell. Pavel clearly specifies that the swings and TGU are likely to progress at different speeds, therefore at one point you will be working with 2 different weights.

As far as I understand, S&S is not designed for a single bell. Pavel clearly specifies that the swings and TGU are likely to progress at different speeds, therefore at one point you will be working with 2 different weights.
Sorry, I meant unilateral work. I will correct original post. Thanks.

I have an old note, something stated by Pavel that double bells are relatively specific for muscle hypertrophy.
My opinion is yes and no on this.

Up to some point, instructor certification testing for swing and military press were done with double kettlebells.

It's an intellectual question by the way. Good point.

@Pavel Macek

Thanks. I will look at those.

@taikei

I have read similar, and maybe I am a genetic freak (no I'm not serious) but I have put on muscle with RoP and that is unilateral. I have often said, come back to me after you do 75 reps per side with a heavy weight. It could be all the swinging due to it being similar to a deadlift but I am doubtful that 75 clean and presses have nothing to do with it.

An interesting question. There are some double kettlebell programs, like mentioned in the thread already. Many posters have found them to be helpful achieving their goals.

When I consider the question from my own perspective, I try to see what makes the kettlebell unique in our training modalities. To my view, the biggest thing is the swing and the kettlebell ballistics. I've always been happy doing them with a single kettlebell. I don't really see a need for the double work for myself.

I don't think you're a genetic freak..

Read up on p158 of ETK and Pavel mentioned "get a pump with heavy weights and that can only be done with compressed rest periods"

Doubles are great - I like especially double clean, double press, double front squat, double push press and double jerk.

I used to do quite a bit of double KB work and now I appreciate KBs for heavy unilateral work and barbells for heavy bilateral work. I kind of see double KB work for conditioning and work capacity more than strength. That said, I still really like double clean & press and double snatches.

A few random observations about doubles:

--Allows higher total load.
Double cleans and front squats are exercises that feel great (to me) and provide greater overload than a single bell can. After doing a lot of double cleans, my single bell swings and snatches fly up. IMO, these are the killer apps of double bells. Some would say double presses or C&J, but I think overhead exercises with doubles are not as accessible for a lot of people because...

--Double overhead work has a much higher mobility demand.
A single bell gives you a lot more wiggle room (figuratively and literally) to wedge under the weight and support it overhead.

Double bells leave you much more "locked in" in initiating a press. You can't "push yourself away from the weight" the same way you can with one bell.

A lot of people can not easily support locked out doubles overhead mainly with alignment and structure, and have to use a lot of muscle power to fight their way into, and hold, the lockout. A lot of people also can't lock out doubles without hyperextending the lumbar spine.

The ROP done with relatively short rest periods put some meat on my forearms and shoulder girdle. The use of pull ups to match the presses makes for a great pump. May not be as ideal a situation for muscle growth as doubles, but it can deliver something!

Concerning double bells:
It might be due to the fact, that single bell programms are more convenient since you only need, as the name implies, only one bell.
Also: double bell work is more advanced, so one should probably have decent experience (at least simple status and preferably 1/2bw press). Since most people never make it that far there is "less audience" for double bells.

Concerning hypertrophy:
Think about it: RoP is 75 reps/side on the heavy day, 60 on medium and 45 on light. This is a massive workload!
Even if you can do only 5x1-2-3 on the heavy day this translates to 30reps with a heavy weight, still pretty good (remeber you are suoposed to work up 5x1-2-3-4-5).
I even gained some muscle during my journey to OAP and rareley did more than 3reps. Whenever you gain stregth you will also gain muscle. If your total volume is very low and you are not in a caloric surplus muscle gains will be not that great (but probably there will be some). Do high volume and eat massive amounts of food and you will gain muscle.

If I remember correctly, I believe Pavel wrote something to the effect of "muscled in the right places" upon completion of the ROP. (Going through a cycle once and not hitting a 1/2 bw press or the 200 snatches is not completing the ROP)

Sure doubles put on mass because it's obviously a heavier weight. But one shouldn't overlook other factors for muscle such as time under tension. It takes twice as long to complete "x" reps per side than to complete "x" reps simultaneously with doubles.

Guys, if you keep the rest periods between the ladders relatively short, then eat, and sleep, you will put on muscle on ROP - guaranteed!
As a ratio to work time, what is a short vs long rest?

I assume 1:1 to 1:2 (work:rest) is short, and 1:5 or 1:6 is long?

The ROP done with relatively short rest periods put some meat on my forearms and shoulder girdle. The use of pull ups to match the presses makes for a great pump. May not be as ideal a situation for muscle growth as doubles, but it can deliver something!
@Steve Freides had told me doubles on RoP is too much for the back. That's good enough for me.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom