all posts post new thread

Stu's training log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
January 26th
Morning:
OS resets
Evening:
Mace: 360s , 10 to 2 practise
A+A snatches 32kg: 10 x 5 repeats

Can't shake off family colds at the moment and my daughter has been waking up during the night so little sleep at the moment and snatches have suffered hence only 10 repeats. Also I injured my right knee whilst running so no easy runs for a while.

January 28th
Morning:
OS resets
Evening:
A+A clean and jerk 2x24kg: 20 x 3 repeats
Bent Press 32kg : 4 × 2 each side L&R.

Time to reassess. Running is out of the question at the moment so considering adding another A&A day maybe 4 x per week. Mon/Tues, Thurs/Friday , or one day on one day off. Either way my hands can't handle 4 days of snatching so could do 2 days of double cleans or double clean and jerks. I experimented with clean and jerks today which went well. Maybe Monday and Thursday clean and jerks , Tuesday and Friday snatches. Or alternate every other day. The other option is just to stick with snatches 3 days per week.
Bent Press- I've come to the conclusion Mcllroy bent press with A&A will be too much volume. I'll change to light heavy medium days of 3, 5 and 7 sets of x2 progressing to x 3, then move to the next bell when ready.
Squats mostly as a warm up or stand alone on off days 3 x 2,3,4 or 5 waving each session.
I'm still walking an hour most weekdays in my commute .

Bent Press- I've come to the conclusion Mcllroy bent press with A&A will be too much volume. I'll change to light heavy medium days of 3, 5 and 7 sets of x2 progressing to x 3, then move to the next bell when ready.
I've got to a similar conclusion when I started snatching and bent pressing bigger bell... Your idea sounds like a nice program

I've got to a similar conclusion when I started snatching and bent pressing bigger bell... Your idea sounds like a nice program
Thanks @Shahaf Levin. I'm leaning towards 1 day off 1day on, as I plan to stick with A&A and BtP for a while so no need to schedule it into weeks, just keep churning out the sessions over a longer period. On the off days I'll continue with OS and mace swings and may be squats.

January 29th
Morning:
OS resets
Suffering from effects of a cold so no evening session.

January 30th

Evening:
DKBFSQ: 3 x 3
A+A Snatch 32kg: 24 x 5 repeats

Felt a bit better today and the snatches were really good. I rested longer in between repeats conscious of not feeling 100%.

February 4th
Morning:
Mace 5kg: 360's (6 x 5), 10 to 2 (2 x 10)
KBFSQ: 3 x 3
A+A Snatch 32kg: 16 x 5 repeats

February 5th
Morning:
OS
Evening:
Mace 5kg: 360's (10 x 10), 10 to 2 (6 x 10)
Bent Press 32kg : 5 × 2 each side L&R.

Still recovering from a heavy weekend in Dublin.

February 7th
Morning:
OS
Crawls -
10mins spider and baby
Mace 5kg: 360's (6 x 10) switching direction after 5 swings and hands after 10 swings.

Evening:
A+A Snatch 32kg: 22 x 5 repeats

First session of 10min continuous crawling. Alternated between spider and baby crawls.

Last edited:
February 8th
Morning:
OS
Crawls -
10mins spider and baby
Mace 5kg: 360's (6 x 10) switching direction after 5 swings and hands after 10 swings.

Evening:
KBFSQ: 3 x 3 (2×24kg)
Bent Press 32kg : 3 × 2 each side L&R.

February 9th
Morning:
OS
Crawls -
10mins spider and baby

Evening:
Mace 5kg: 360's (10 x 10) switching direction after 5 swings and hands after 10 swings.
KBFSQ: 3 x 3 (2×24kg)
A+A Snatch 32kg: 20 x 5 repeats

February 13th
Morning:
OS
Crawls -
10mins spider and baby
Mace 5kg: 360's x 5 each direction 10-2s x 10 then switched hands and repeated. Total 8 repeats.

Lunch:
1 hour walk

Evening:
Indoor Cricket match.

Last edited:
February 14th
Morning:
OS
Crawls -
10mins spider and baby
Mace 5kg: 360's x 5 each direction 10-2s x 10 then switched hands and repeated. Total 10 repeats.
A+A clean & push press: 1rx43
Recently tried A+A c&j for 3 repeats which felt a little to much. Saw @Harald Motz post the 1r push press and thought I'd try it. Think I'll alternate with snatches and see what happens.

10 min crawls are definitely a positive addition to my training feel more tied together and stronger, as are the mace swings.

Any noticeable changes due to mace swinging?
My shoulders are more stable and fluid. My throw is much stronger and more like it was in my teens, having snatched and bent pressed last cricket season I'll put the improvement down to the mace swings.

As a whole, im really happy were my training currently is A+A work, mace swings, OS and 10 min crawls with some easy bent press and squats thrown in feels a complete package for my strength, mobility, fitness needs. Ive had to stop easy runs due to an old knee injury, but walk for a total of 1 hour in my daily commute and recently started adding 1hr lunchtime walks. I'm playing the long game and really enjoying it.

Last edited:
As a whole, im really happy were my training currently is A+A work, mace swings, OS and 10 min crawls with some easy bent press and squats thrown in feels a complete package for my strength, mobility, fitness needs. Ive had to stop easy runs due to an old knee injury, but walk for a total of 1 hour in my daily commute and recently started adding 1hr lunchtime walks. I'm playing the long game and r
great package.

A+A clean & push press: 1rx43
Recently tried A+A c&j for 3 repeats which felt a little to much. Saw @Harald Motz post the 1r push press and thought I'd try it. Think I'll alternate with snatches and see what happens.
I really like these. Singles are great. It is a big lift. I have to learn a better, faster dip. In my video it is not optimal too deep and an unnecessary pause in the bottom of the dip. A thing I recommend is to roll the bells a bit up on your shoulder then the bells center of gravity is more towards of the body cog and the upward force of the dip is much better directed to the bells. Currently I like to bring the bells controlled under tension to the rack again, but it can be done quicker with a knee dip too.

Also I had a session where I used push press for doubles (with on clean) then the demands get higher obviously. I think for double overhead work be it push press or clean&jerk is the maximum for reps. But with singles I almost can go on the minute for an really extended session and have a great rep with any rep.

I definitely want to stay with push presses and one arm snatch for my A+A work.

A thing I recommend is to roll the bells a bit up on your shoulder then the bells center of gravity is more towards of the body cog and the upward force of the dip is much better directed to the bells.

Personally I found that when I glue my arms to the ribs it helps me to keep better linkage and get a better power transfer from the dip to the arms. I got this from @Brett Jones and Gray Cook's Dynami. I feel I also have better thoracic mechanics while doing so. It might be mostly a cuing thing and of style variability between lifters.

I will try singles for a longer session next time I push press.

A thing I recommend is to roll the bells a bit up on your shoulder then the bells center of gravity is more towards of the body cog and the upward force of the dip is much better directed to the bells.
I'll try this in my next session
Also I had a session where I used push press for doubles (with on clean) then the demands get higher obviously. I think for double overhead work be it push press or clean&jerk is the maximum for reps. But with singles I almost can go on the minute for an really extended session and have a great rep with any rep.
Whilst doing the singles I was thinking I could do doubles, but having completed the session i think singles work.

Personally I found that when I glue my arms to the ribs it helps me to keep better linkage and get a better power transfer from the dip to the arms
I try to keep my arms glued to my side in the clean too. I find also in the snatch if I can keep my arm into my body on the down and up swing I create much more power.

February 17th
Morning:
OS
Crawls -
10mins spider and baby

Getting nearer to a full 10 mins of spider crawls. I crawl backwards and forwards over a 10 meter length hall and at around 5mins do some spider sideways crawling for a minute or so before back to forward and back. Forwards crawls are all spider crawls, backwards crawling is a mix of spider and baby crawling.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom