all posts post new thread

Barbell Submaximal isometrics

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Simply strong

Level 4 Valued Member
As I understand it isometric exercises are usually used for short duration and max effort sets to compliment a dynamic exercise; often to fix a sticking point. But is there ever a place for sub-maximal and longer duration sets?

I travel a lot I often find I don’t have access to equipment and am wondering if isometric deadlifts and OH press with gymnastics rings with hip bridges, push ups and hollow body holds or rollouts might be a good travel workout to keep me going while I’m away. Perhaps some isometric rows and squats too. As I figure it, tension is tension so why wouldn’t it be possible to maintain strength this way?

I’m am aware that isometrics only build strength in a limited ROM so multiple sets at multiple angles would be required, but I wouldn’t assume thats a huge limitation. Perhaps 3 sets of 60s at 3-4 joint angles at RPE 6-8?

As always I welcome your thoughts and criticisms!

Last edited:
I am also interested in this. If holding a gymnastic bridge or a simple back bend for time is often recommended for working the lower back, would it be similar to hold an isometric deadlift for time? I mean, with a submaximal effort.

As I understand it isometric exercises are usually used for short duration and max effort sets to compliment a dynamic exercise; often to fix a sticking point. But is there ever a place for sub-maximal and longer duration sets?

I travel a lot I often find I don’t have access to equipment and am wondering if isometric deadlifts and OH press with gymnastics rings with hip bridges, push ups and hollow body holds or rollouts might be a good travel workout to keep me going while I’m away. Perhaps some isometric rows and squats too. As I figure it, tension is tension so why wouldn’t it be possible to maintain strength this way?

I’m am aware that isometrics only build strength in a limited ROM so multiple sets at multiple angles would be required, but I wouldn’t assume thats a huge limitation. Perhaps 3 sets of 60s at 3-4 joint angles at RPE 6-8?

What about the Naked Warrior? It should fit well into your daily routine, and it doesn't need to much space and time to be completed. Have you tried it?

But is there ever a place for sub-maximal and longer duration sets?

Sub Maximal Isometrics

They are used in Physical Therapy rehabilitation connective tissue.

As Anna once mentioned, they may have some value for Hypertrophy Training. In an Isometric Hold or in multiple repetition in Traditional Strength Exercise, Venous Blood Flow back to the heart is restricted, producing "The Pump"/Metabolic Stress. This trigger muscle building anabolic effect.

Perhaps 3 sets of 60s at 3-4 joint angles at RPE 6-8?

60 Second Isometric Holds

Isometric Hold for rehabilitation are usually around 20 seconds.

Isometric Holds for 60 seconds might be effective for Hypertrophy Training. They would increase Limit Strength to some degree.

However, it's hard to maintain an Isometric Hold, even a Sub Maximal one for that long.

The best thing to do is give 60 second hold a try and see how they work.

Amount of Isometric Hold Time

The determinate factor in how long you perform a Isometric is dependent on what your objective is.

Kenny Croxdale

The longer the hold, the larger the ROM that becomes strengthened, so very short Iso contractions mostly only benefit that specific joint angle and contraction speed. Longer holds benefit more degrees to either side and due to longer contraction time will effect general strength more.

IIRC Dr Keith Barr mentioned that Iso holds were a great way to improve tendon density and suppleness, extending into the muscle body.

IDK if there is a place for sub-maximal effort as it is extremely difficult to objectively measure a submax Iso effort without a gauge or spring of some sort, but there certainly is for longer duration. In my experience this tops out around 20 seconds, maybe a bit more or less depending on the individual and the movement being trained.

I have had and continue to get good results from training full body Iso using two holding points per movement/pose (?) - training either side of the midpoint ROM. I found that dynamic Iso, where you train limb against limb was not very effective compared to overcoming Iso against some immobile resistance.

I noted this in my training log at the time I was using them often, when I did a session of jump rope HIIT within 36 hrs of one of the full body iso sessions I experienced a serious "pump" comparable to a high rep/failure type workout and far above what I ever experienced doing Iso or HIIT by itself - could literally feel my T shirt getting tight. I concluded from this that it was making a worthwhile contribution to my overall strength program.

The only issues with using it often, mentally it is very challenging to apply a max effort very many times in a week - I started out 2x/ week and quickly dialed it back to once. Also these tend to be very challenging to your breathing and BP. I never checked, but assume the longer holds will spike BP considerably, something the literature mentions but I have yet to see a formal study on the subject - a consideration for hypertensive folk.

The longer the hold, the larger the ROM that becomes strengthened, so very short Iso contractions mostly only benefit that specific joint angle and contraction speed. Longer holds benefit more degrees to either side and due to longer contraction time will effect general strength more.

This is very useful to know!

I would be using this as a maintenance plan only really so only 1-2x p/week was the idea so that shouldn’t be a problem.

The video below outlines an iso squat similar to a DFSQ with kettlebells. He has good suggestions for other iso movements too. If you use isometrics more, and get good results, have you used them like this? Or do you use them differently?

Dr Tommy John (look for him on instagram)....

Performs isometrics himself and with clients of a long duration - eg bottom of pressup hold (chest just off the floor), for upwards of 3-4+ minutes.

He also like moves such as split squat, rear foot elevated split squat, pullup hangs etc.

Richard

There is a difference between overcoming isometric and yealding isometric exercise.

Would I be correct in saying that programming should be different for each of them?

Also a thought, would there be value in pulsing during say an iso deadlift?

Using a strap; you set up like a deadlift, pull to a certain RPE over a few seconds, gradually release over a few seconds, set up again and do for reps.

Also a thought, would there be value in pulsing during say an iso deadlift?

Pulsing Isometrics

I applied Pulsing Isometrics.

My definition is perform a Isometric Hold for let's say 5 seconds, rest 10 seconds and repeat three time or more.

This type of Pulsing Isometric Action amount to Cluster Set Training; brief Intra Repetition Rest Periods (short rest periods between each rep or a repetitions).

Using a strap; you set up like a deadlift, pull to a certain RPE over a few seconds, gradually release over a few seconds, set up again and do for reps.

Post Activation Potentiation Training, PAP

With this method a Heavy Strength Movement or let's say an Isometric Hold is performed. It is then followed by a Lighter Movement similar to the Heavy Strength Movement.

You're example of performing a Isometric Hold Deadlift from one position first followed by a Deadlift for repetition would be Post Activation Potentiating Training.

I use PAP in my training. It is an effective method.

Kenny Croxdale

There is a difference between overcoming isometric and yealding isometric exercise.

Would I be correct in saying that programming should be different for each of them?

This article can provide you with more information.

Isometrics: The Most Underrated Training Tool - Thibarmy

Although they look similar, they have slightly different training effects. Overcoming isometrics have more transfer to concentric strength and are more neurologically demanding. They are best suited for short, very intense efforts and have a greater impact on strength than size.

Yielding isometrics have more transfer to eccentric strength and are less neurologically draining. As such, they can be done for longer and work best to increase size than strength in a lift.

Kenny Croxdale

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom