all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Substitute for Turkish getups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I agree with others on seeing Dr. I also immediately thought of some sandbag get up variations I have seen with the bag over one shoulder. With the bag placed on one shoulder you can you technique similar to KB TGU.

I also had shoulder injury that prevented TGUs for at least a year. After I completed PT I VERY slowly added TGU to my routine. I started with a #5 dumbbell and even that felt a bit sketchy in the beginning. At that time I really felt like it would never get better, as I spent months with just the #5! As I write this I am feeling very grateful to say that I can now use the 24kg with zero pain, but it took almost a year and a half.

GL on your recovery.

Have you tried unweighted get ups?
I feel they are very overlooked. I'm off heavy get ups and have been for a while - other stuff going on not injury related in anyway. So I do 10 get ups almost everyday in a variety of forms with a 5kg bell for movement and mobility. You'll get the benefit of the get up as a movement certainly, clearly any pain then don't but you know working on global movement with care may help in seeking out new ranges of motion elsewhere. Treat it as movement exploration, play even and refine the positions, gently using your arm/shoulder where appropriate for you.

I like suspension training (TRX) as an active way to heal weary shoulders/rotator cuffs. Push-ups with reduced stability provides some of the same benefits as the TGU, at least.
Definitely go see a doctor/physio first.

I’ve had a shoulder impingement that has greatly improved with regular hanging off a pull-up bar and band pull aparts, I do them on a daily basis and always in my warm up before I press/tgu. I spoke to the physio before I started this and got cleared to do it.

Ditto to both of these.

I find pushups, including KB pushups, and KB renegade rows to be very healthy for my shoulder, scapular retraction, and serratus anterior.

I've also found band pull aparts to be great, both using the regular resistance band and a SKLZ Mobility Bar.

Dead hangs also great at opening up the space and reducing change for impingement.

Dead hands are also good to slightly pry your shoulder while doing.

Sort of a prying goblet squat for the shoulders.

i have had an issue with my shoulder recently and I have gotten it back to a semblance of "workable" by doing bear sitouts, downward dogs, prone swimmers and unweighted getups.

not to suggest that your injury is the same as mine of course but the movements I used were very low risk, and yielded quite good results.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom