all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Suggested programm or book for special forces

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I meant SQ, DL (when it comes to Press I do HSPU) and considering: (whereas leaning more to Beginner 5x5 with 2-3 minor assisted exercises)

Bill Starr's Beginner 5x5

Monday (Heavy Day - 85%)

Back Squats 5 x 5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 reps across 5 sets
Bench Press 5 x 5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 reps across 5 sets
Deadlifts 5 x 5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 reps across 5 sets

Wednesday (Light Day - 65-70%)
Back Squats 5 x 5 using 60% of Monday's weight
Bench Press 5 x 5 using 60% of Monday's weight
Pullups 5 x 5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 reps across 5 sets

Friday (Medium Day - 70-85%)
Back Squats 5 x 5 using 80% of Monday's weight
Bench Press 5 x 5 using 80% of Monday's weight
Rows 5 x 5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 reps across 5 sets

The Bill Starr Strength Factor Routine

Monday (Heavy Day)

Back Squats 5 x 5 ramping to limit
Bench Press 5 x 5 ramping to limit
Deadlifts 5 x 5 ramping to limit or Bent-Over Rows: 5 x 5 ramping to limit
Incline Dumbbell Press 2 x 20
Calf Raises 3 x 30

Wednesday (Light Day)
Back Squats 5 x 5 using 50 lbs less than Monday or Lunges: 4 x 6 ramping to limit
Good Mornings 4 x 10 or Stiff-Leg Deadlifts: 4 x 10
Standing Overhead Press 5 x 5 ramping to limit
Dips When you can do 20 reps, start adding weight and drop the reps back to 8
Curls 3 x 15

Friday (Medium Day)
Back Squats 5 x 5 using 20 lbs less than Monday
Incline Bench Press 5 x 5 ramping to limit
Shrugs 5 x 5 ramping to limit or Clean High Pulls 5 x 5 ramping to limit
Straight Arm Pullovers 2 x 20
Chins: 4 sets to failure

Bill Starr's "Big 3" Program

Monday – Heavy Day
Powerclean – 5 sets of 5
Bench – 5 sets of 5
Squat – 5 sets of 5

Wednesday – Light Day
Powerclean – 5 sets of 5
Benchpress – 5 sets of 5
Squat – 5 sets of 5

Friday - Medium
Powerclean – 5 sets of 5
Benchpress – 5 sets of 5
Squat – 5 sets of 5

Last edited:
Hello,

@mikhael
Assuming you already have a fairly well packed training routine (with run, rucks, calisthenics), I would go for the beginner version, as you said.

Eventually, you will build up as you get stronger and used to the intensity.

Indeed, one may target a minimum effective dose of strength, to possibly make the other stuff easier. Plus, the more you train your strength, the less you can train the other things (time, recovery). You do not necessarily want to be a pure strength athlete because you have to be a 'jack of all trades'

Kind regards,

Pet'

I am constantly amazed by the information on this forum. Thanks especially to Pet for the work on this thread!

Circuit A : 3-4 rounds, no rest between exercises, 1 minute rest between rounds
- Rower (20-30)
- Russian twist (10 each side) (a small weight can be used)
- Sit up (20-30)
- Crunch (until almost failure)

images

I will tested AB routine.
Crunch and situps look like the picture?

Hello,

@taro
Yes.

As far as both are concerned, be careful not to put your hands behind your head, and pulling on your neck

Kind regards,

Pet'

Becoming the 0.1%: Thirty-four lessons from the diary of a Royal Marines Commando Recruit

Just finished the book entitled above. A great read.

I spent my whole career in SOF. A lot of people, most of my leaders included, didn't know squat about sustainable, smart training. The only PT everyone knew was lifting weights in the gym or going for a death run - just running as far and as fast as possible until you puke.

I met the standards I needed to meet but I was burned out for a lot of my career. My resting HR in the military was often 70+. Now it's 48-54ish. I probably spent 20% of my career recovering from injuries.

If I had to do it all over again I'd

-Run a base lifting program to get to a 315 squat and 405 deadlift plus or minus depending on BW. Maintain those numbers with the bare minimum number of lifts per week supplemented by KB swings and snatches using AA or QD protocols. Plenty of runner types who couldn't lift weights to speak of could smoke me on a 5mi run but got their souls crushed under a heavy ruck in bad terrain. Strength makes everything easier.

-Focus on 4-5 cardio sessions a week. All at MAF pace. Unless you just have a personal desire to run really fast you can pass most of your run standards doing little to no dedicated speed work. Make 1-2 of them a ruck. You don't need to train rucks heavy. Or fast. At all. Just get your body used to the movement and dig deep only when it's required. I rarely went faster than a 14:30 mile with more than 25-30lbs in training and could do 12 miles with 45lbs dry in around 2 hours and 10 minutes. On deployment I regularly carried a 70lb ruck on top of 30lbs of body armor and gear at a bodyweight of 240lb for infils up to 14K through the mountains at 9k plus elevation. Night after night.

-Some misc work like pullups and getups with the bare minimum of pushup/sit-up work maybe 2x a week to stay on top of your PFT scores.

Training events should provide all the glycolitic/speed work you need.

If I had to sum it up I'd say "do as little as possible to meet the standards you need to meet and fill the rest of your time with easy cardio and low impact weight work to preserve strength and increase injury resilience"
This!

Tactical Barbell by K Black seems exactly what youre looking for.

Reading TB3 and TB2 should be enough but he also just came out with Green Protocol which is geared toward combat arms folks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom