all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Suggested programm or book for special forces

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I would probably go for a ruck every morning and do some kind of strength circuit in the afternoon/evenings depending on the equipment I had. Maybe something like easy strength and then once every 2-4 weeks, do a SMMF (single movement mind f@#&) session like a burpee ladder 1-20, or 100x TGU; just something that gets monotonous and requires drive to complete.

I would probably go for a ruck every morning and do some kind of strength circuit in the afternoon/evenings depending on the equipment I had. Maybe something like easy strength and then once every 2-4 weeks, do a SMMF (single movement mind f@#&) session like a burpee ladder 1-20, or 100x TGU; just something that gets monotonous and requires drive to complete.
What if rucking outside is no possible due to the current covid state? I have an cross trainer at home and I thought that I would perform rucking on it? Something is better than nothing, right.

There is a lot of good information here already.

But what we really need is to know what the entry standards for selection are and then the selection process itself.

Only then can good advice be given and tailored.

Without that advice can only be generalised.

My advise would be to build up your aerobic capacity, muscular endurance and strength to a good standard. Aerobic capacity and muscular endurance being of higher priority.

Get yourself to a standard where you can pass the physical entry requirements for your nations para or marines courses.

Keep a log of your training. Then come back with more information on your abilities and the requirements of your nations selection process.

This will arm everyone here with the necessary knowledge on how to advise you best.

Last edited:
Hello,

Here is an interesting article from someone called "Victor" on the StrongFirst's blog:

There are several "principles" of training, and plenty of wisdom.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I spent my whole career in SOF. A lot of people, most of my leaders included, didn't know squat about sustainable, smart training. The only PT everyone knew was lifting weights in the gym or going for a death run - just running as far and as fast as possible until you puke.

I met the standards I needed to meet but I was burned out for a lot of my career. My resting HR in the military was often 70+. Now it's 48-54ish. I probably spent 20% of my career recovering from injuries.

If I had to do it all over again I'd

-Run a base lifting program to get to a 315 squat and 405 deadlift plus or minus depending on BW. Maintain those numbers with the bare minimum number of lifts per week supplemented by KB swings and snatches using AA or QD protocols. Plenty of runner types who couldn't lift weights to speak of could smoke me on a 5mi run but got their souls crushed under a heavy ruck in bad terrain. Strength makes everything easier.

-Focus on 4-5 cardio sessions a week. All at MAF pace. Unless you just have a personal desire to run really fast you can pass most of your run standards doing little to no dedicated speed work. Make 1-2 of them a ruck. You don't need to train rucks heavy. Or fast. At all. Just get your body used to the movement and dig deep only when it's required. I rarely went faster than a 14:30 mile with more than 25-30lbs in training and could do 12 miles with 45lbs dry in around 2 hours and 10 minutes. On deployment I regularly carried a 70lb ruck on top of 30lbs of body armor and gear at a bodyweight of 240lb for infils up to 14K through the mountains at 9k plus elevation. Night after night.

-Some misc work like pullups and getups with the bare minimum of pushup/sit-up work maybe 2x a week to stay on top of your PFT scores.

Training events should provide all the glycolitic/speed work you need.

If I had to sum it up I'd say "do as little as possible to meet the standards you need to meet and fill the rest of your time with easy cardio and low impact weight work to preserve strength and increase injury resilience"

Hello,

@Wes P
Running / rucking aside, how much time per week would you dedicate to training then ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Pavel's Force Recon Workout. I heard he designed it for a Snake Eater friend . Two day work out, ex. Mon, day 1, Wed, day 2, Fri, repeat.
Did it for my 50th birthday, the 2 work outs over 48 hours. Did not repeat. Nasty.
Three x a week for three weeks, then back off 50% for a week or two.
Scroll down attached article for full details .
Enjoy!

Would like to hear from anyone who has completed the 9 workouts, then a couple de-load weeks, and another 3 week cycle or so. Interested to see what happens when this program is done to its design.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am tobi and and I am new to this board.
I heard that pavel did some programming for the military and because my long term goals are to be as fit as possibly as our special forces (I am from austria), i am very
interested in it.

But I dont realy find some specific programm or book for it.
So maybe you could help me out?

Do a google search for Pavel's "total package" routine on this site. It is a really smart training template for special forces etc..

Hello,

@Bunn
When I read this program, it sounds more "well rounded" (for conditioning and strength gains) than S&S thanks to the variety of both grinds and ballistics.

Do you get more benefits from TP or S&S ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hi OP

It would help to know the your current fitness stats, strengths and weaknesses before any recommendations.

Programming would be different if you are a rail thin ultramarathoner than if you are powerlifter.

Also what equipment you have access to, and how far out from selection/tryouts.

Simple and Sinister is a program minimum but packs a good punch for such a minimal program. For special forces you need a bit more than a minimal program for optimal performance and safety. The total package is a good template. Just a few modifications and it supports ruck training well too.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom