all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Suggested programm or book for special forces

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

@mikhael
It would be equivalent to a daily dose deadlift plan (roughly 3 lifts a day). For good measure, you could add daily dose of press (this will transfer well to high rep push up). Indeed, heavy DL / Sq / Press naturally transfer well to high rep. As an example, the last 4 days, I did GTG with regular push ups, which I usually does not practice that much. I ended up with more than 1000 without any fatigue...

On the top of the daily dose, 2 runs and 2 moderately heavy rucks:

Below are nice templates from Mike Prevost as far as rucking goes (which is in line with WesP's words)

I think training for selection and training for maintenance (assuming selection is done) are two different animals.

By the way, one of the best book I have ever read as far as special forces are concerned is "Building the Elite" from C. Weller & J. Pope. I wrote a review in this thread about it. Once you buy the book, you can reach them directly by e-mail to get "direct advise". They are very kind.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
@pet'
3 lift a day, you mean DL, SQ, and Press for five days a week with additional 2 rucking session, 2 running session, and HLR combined with FFL? All within a single week?

Hello,

@mikhael
Here is the daily dose deadlift

Here is the daily dose press (post #23)

It does not have to be fancy: you can do 1 DL, then move nicely to your press, and go back and forth 5 times. Do this nasal breathing with no rush. Before you realize, you will do them with almost no rest in between.

I ran them while doing S&S. Back then, I ran Timeless Simple on a daily basis. They are perfect for maintenance because they are not taxing at all and do not require time. I was very positively surprised how little demanding this is.

FFL is 2-3x a week, no matter what.

HLR is different. I have a lot of volume (25 a day) because I include them in a circuit. If I want to do HLR only 2-3x a week (when I do FFL), I would do a true 5x5.

You can go for two easy runs (monday, thursday) and easy rucks (tuesday, friday).

This routine basically give you some days with only the DD (wed, sat). Runs have to be very aerobic and are almost active recovery. Rucking transfer very well to running anyway, provided running form is good.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet'
I will stay with FFL 2x and HLR 5x a week. The former is tough, ever tougher than I thought, but I belive my body will handle the regime. The latter seems easy thus I'm considering performing HLR on two ropes. This will force me to hold L-Hang position and from there get to HLR.

DDDL is a great plan and maybe doing it with Squats (the same rep/set scheme) would work?

BTW, the article about rucking - great stuff. Thanks.

Hello,

@mikhael
I will stay with FFL 2x and HLR 5x a week. The former is tough, ever tougher than I thought, but I belive my body will handle the regime
Yes it is far tougher than it looks. From what I have read and listened, assuming one have an active lifestyle and get a "reasonable" diet, results in terms of both performance (as it is here the case for rucking, carrying, etc...) and body composition (in this case "visible" (but strong !) core) are supposed to appear in about 2 months.

DDDL is a great plan and maybe doing it with Squats (the same rep/set scheme) would work?
Do you want to do a daily dose of both squats and deadlifts ? If so, I never tried to do them at the same time. I

If you speak about a daily dose of squat - so without deadlift - yes it would work. For a while, I did it with weighted pistols and it worked well as a maintenance.

BTW, the article about rucking - great stuff. Thanks.
You are welcome. Mike provides super good program. I ran one of his, which is a mix of rucking and S&C. From what I remember, this program is outlined earlier in this thread.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet'
I read in Mike's article, that good option is to follow strength plan, along with running 2-3 times a week, and at least 1x rucking sessino. Better option would be to give one running session for rucking. So, I'm thinking about DL, SQ, and Presses (Handstand Presses to be presice). DDDL would be good choice, but following it and doing SQ at the same session might be too much.

Hello,

@mikhael
Sounds good !

Do you plan some pull ups, whether it is GTG, a daily dose, or something else? I ask because I noticed pull ups have never felt better since I ruck more. They seem to give me both strength and stretch.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet'
I have a hard time with Pull-ups since I feel a little pain insiede my left arm when performing reps (the same problem with Buceps Curls). It's not an elbow pain, rather something inside the forearm close to the elbow pit. I'm not good in anatomy but the pain is located somewhere around pronator teres. Thus, I have backed off of Pull-ups for a while.

Hello,

@mikhael
Thanks for the link !

Yes the 5x5 is really time and field tested. It is simple and effective.

I would do OVH press instead of bench because it requires more stabilization work. I also noticed that OVH press transfers better to horizontal push than the other way around.

This program would probably work, assuming you pair it with running and rucking and FFL, as you mentioned earlier. However, the work is less "linear" from day to day. Indeed, if you go for a ruck on the 5x5 day, it may get make the ruck harder due to recovery. So it implies a proper recovery and planning.

I guess this is a matter of preferences and body awareness: I tend to recover better when I evenly split throughout the week (for instance, instead of 60 reps in 3 sessions, I'll do better with 10 reps per day). This is what S&S brings to me: the daily dose.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I would do OVH press instead of bench because it requires more stabilization work. I also noticed that OVH press transfers better to horizontal push than the other way around.
Similar thinking, I want to change bench press to Handstand Press, since I got an issue with right wrist. Moreover, I'm thinking doing HSPU apart from DL&SQ session.

What about Q&D? Would it be good to add 2-3 session on alternate days? Btw, this will be heavily packed plan, so a proper recovery need to be considered.

Hello,

Similar thinking, I want to change bench press to Handstand Press, since I got an issue with right wrist
Some people say that HSPU can be hard on the wrist. Most of the time, they can solve the issue using parallettes / push up bars.

What about Q&D? Would it be good to add 2-3 session on alternate days?
So, if I consider the following days as example
Mon: 5x5 + HLR + FFL + Ruck
Tue: Q&D + HLR + Run
Wed: Rest & Stretch
Thu: 5x5 + HLR + FFL + Ruck
Fri: Q&D + HLR + Run
Sat: 5x5 + HLR + FFL + Ruck
Sun: Rest & Stretch

I assume that :
- during the 5x5, you do only DL + SQ
- HSPU the same day than 5x5
- You keep the HLR + FFL

Q&D is a great idea. Nonethless, I'd use it with bodyweight (sprints). It would be easier on the joints and maybe easier to recover from. This is why I put 2 Q&D style sessions. Indeed, if you are preparing for a selection, you do not want to get injured in the process. Otherwise, you want to be 100% operational everyday, without recovery issue.

I put stretch on rest day because each and everytime I read or hear about military, I hear "If I had knwown, I would have stretched", so...

Kind regards,

Pet'

Some people say that HSPU can be hard on the wrist. Most of the time, they can solve the issue using parallettes / push up bars.
I do HSPU on fists.

So, if I consider the following days as example
Mon: 5x5 + HLR + FFL + Ruck
Tue: Q&D + HLR + Run
Wed: Rest & Stretch
Thu: 5x5 + HLR + FFL + Ruck
Fri: Q&D + HLR + Run
Sat: 5x5 + HLR + FFL + Ruck
Sun: Rest & Stretch
Not exactly but close. I was thinking about something like this:
MONDAY5x5 (Press) + HLR5x5 (DL&SQ)
TUESDAYQ&D + HLRRunning
WEDNESDAY5x5 (Press) + FFL5x5 (DL&SQ)
THURSDAYQ&D + HLRRunning
FRIDAY5x5 (Press) + HLR5x5 (DL&SQ)
SATURDAYQ&D + HLRRucking
SUNDAYFFL

I assume that :
- during the 5x5, you do only DL + SQ
- HSPU the same day than 5x5
- You keep the HLR + FFL
ad.1-2 HSPU in the morning, DL&SQ between 0730 and 1400LT (access to a gym)
ad.3 Yes, but not on the same session.

Hello,

@mikhael
I like your program ! I think you gonna be a machine !

I am not an "avid" or experienced runner, but if you can, try to run / ruck on soft surface (in the woods, on the sand, small gravels, etc...). When we pile up miles, it makes a difference because it kind of prevent stress fractures.

Rucking is also more technical than it sounds, but I guess you already know it. I can ruck with 52kg on rugged terrain if I properly pack the stuff. If I do it poorly (weigth poorly fixed, too low, backpack wrongly fixed on the hips (so mainly supported by the shoulders)), it is just all suffering.

In all cases, my rucking is better since I do OVH work. Of course, rucking technique is probably better as well, because there is both a specialization and a learning curve, but still.

By the way, here are Q&D alternatives (which include bodyweight)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

As a sidenote, if you already run a physical activity (grappling, boxing, etc...) you may skip one of the aerobic session.

Indeed, the Commando Marine who was boxing with me found boxing super helpful as far as running goes. Of course, he have trained the running, but:
- he is younger than me (31 vs 22) so recover faster
- better transfer from boxing to running than the other way around
- he was already very fit (regional champion in his category)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hi @tobi. I can suggest a program for you, and personally attest to its effectiveness. It is used to get a recruit ready to make a solid first attempt at passing the British Paratroopers training (airborne unit) first time, excepting injuries etc of course. People who have used it generally passed selection first time without much issue regards fitness requirements. It is old now but still works.

NOTES – Every Morning, do MAX pushups except where specified not too i.e. on some rest days.

·Gym Workout to include the following –
5 Minute Row/Run to raise pulse, then stretch and complete the following circuit…
Press-ups – 25
Bench-press – 20
Tricep Dips – 20
Hyperextensions – 30
Shoulder Press – 12
Bicep Curls – 20
Press Downs – 15
Crunches – 25
Leg Raises – 30
V-Crunches – 25
FINISH

Home Workout

Include all bodyweight exercises, 20 of each then rest for 1 minute. Do 3 circuits.

·BFT
1.5 mile run in 15minutes
1.5 mile run best effort
2 minutes of pressups
2 minutes of situps
RECORD TIMES/SCORES

·Bergen Workout
March up and down a hill repeatedly for the time stated in boots.

·Hill Sprints
5 min warm up run to the hill. Stretch. Jog to the bottom, turn round and sprint 100% to the top. Rest for 60 secs, and repeat. Do 10.

Week 1

T Day 1 – 4 mile run. (8 minute/mile)
W Day2 – Gym workout. + 3 mile run (7 minute/mile)
T Day3 – 4 mile run (8 minute/mile)
F Day4 – Home Workout
S Day5 – 1 hour cycle
S Day6 – Hill Sprints
M Day7 – 3 mile run – BEST EFFORT.

Week 2

T Day8 – Home Workout
W Day9 – 4.5 mile run – (8 minute/mile)
T Day10 – Gym Workout
F Day11 – BFT.
S Day12 – 1 hour cycle
S Day13 – 30 minute Bergen Workout – 15lbs. No running.
M Day14 – Hill Sprints

Week 3

T Day15 – rest – no exercise
W Day16 – rest – include MAX pushups every morning and night
T Day17 – rest - include MAX pushups every morning and night
F Day18 – rest – no exercise
S Day19 – Home Workout. And 4 mile run in under 30 minutes.
S Day20 – Home Workout
M Day21 – 45 minute Bergen Workout– 25lbs – no running.

Week 4

T Day22 – BFT
W Day23 - Upper Body Circuit. 50 minutes.
T Day24 – 4 mile run – BEST EFFORT
F Day25 – Hill Sprints
S Day26 – 40 Minute Fartlek run.
S Day27 – 1 hour Bergen Workout – 25lbs – no running.
M Day28 – Home Workout

Week 5

T Day29 – 5 mile run (8 minute/mile)
W Day30 – Home Workout
T Day31 – BFT
F Day32 – 45 Minute Fartlek Run
S Day33 – rest – no exercise
S Day34 – rest – include MAX pushups every morning and night
M Day35 – rest - include MAX pushups every morning and night

Week 6

T Day36 – rest – no exercise
W Day37 – 4 mile run in under 28 minutes.
T Day38 – Home Workout
F Day39 - 5 mile run (8 minute/mile) – 40 minutes
S Day40 – Hill Sprints
S Day41 – Gym Workout
M Day42 –2 miler – 35lb Bergen – Under 18:45. (In boots)

Week 7

T Day43 – 5 mile run in under 40 minutes.
W Day44 – Home Workout
T Day45 - 40 Minute Fartlek run.
F Day46 – Home Workout.
S Day47 – AM – BFT. PM – 4 mile run in under 28 minutes.
S Day48 – 5 mile run – BEST EFFORT
M Day49 – Hill Sprints

Week 8

T Day50 – 2 miler – 35lb Bergen – Under 18:30 (In boots)
W Day51 - rest – no exercise
T Day52 - rest - include MAX pushups every morning and night
F Day53 - rest – no exercise
S Day54 - 5 mile run (7 minute/miles) 35 minutes.
S Day55 – Home workout
M Day56 - 1 hour Fartlek run.

Week 9

T Day57 – Hill Sprints and Home Workout.
W Day58 – 5 mile run (7 minute/miles) 35 minutes.
T Day59 – BFT.
F Day60 – Gentle 30 minute run.
S Day61 – REST – NO exercise.

@pet' The program was developed and tweaked from recruits going through depot to help the guys behind them get an idea on the types of exercise recruit training would be throwing at them and help develop/condition muscles the recruits felt they were weak on and used a lot of during training to try and get them used to using them before they go.
Regards the pull up, for the paras at the time there was no specific pull up requirement or test that had to be passed. Unlike the Royal Marines who had to attain a set standard during recruit training.
I reckon it was felt by the recruits that the other exercises universally together gave them the required development to achieve things like the 12ft wall climb without the specifics of the pull up. From personal experience having completed the program myself I felt no hindrance in having no pull ups. I agree though they would certainly merit inclusion, but I think at the cost of something else as I remember being pretty beat working through it, I think adding them in would be a lot of volume and the intent of the program is not to arrive for training already burnt out or injured, just minimully conditioned.
Out of interest here is a video of the expectations of a Royal Marine pull up from the same time period.
Royal Marine pull up

Hello,

@Lotto
Is this still more or less up to date, as far as Paratrooper goes ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom