all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Suggestions for developing even strength for both sides on swings?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anth

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello,

My stronger side is significantly stronger than my strong side when it comes to one-hand swings. On my left, I feel strong with good technique. On my right, I'm just okay. (My Turkish get ups are pretty even).

I'm currently doing Simple and Sinister, so I'm just looking for suggestions or ideas. Work the program and let it take care of itself? Do more swing with my "strong" side? something else?

Thanks in advance!

I would try starting your sets on your right side first. Also allow more rest before sets on right side than left.

My vote goes to "let it take care of itself"!

Things take time, there's not point in rushing unless you have a specific goal in mind. Tendons in particular are slow to adapt compared to muscles.

I'm really leaning toward this. Even the past few workouts I've noticed some improvements.

I would say it depends on what the differences are made of. Is it grip? Timing? Explosiveness?

I think it's definitely arm strength. My arm feels less stable and subsequently I feel like I'm being pulled forward a little more on the right. That throws off timing, explosiveness, and general technique. Grip feels okay though.

Maybe it is lat activation. Are you familiar with Original Strength? You could try rocking, one arm rocking, and/or crawling before a set of swings because those resets will activate your lats reflexively. That could help.

My vote goes to "let it take care of itself"!

Agree, if your strong side is able to do 10 solid reps and you stronger side is able to do 15/20, the stimulus on the strong side is more (10 reps @ 10rm v.s. 10 reps @ 15/20 rm).

So don't do anything different except always start with the strong side and let the stronger side do exactly the same as the other one. So if the strong side can only do 8 reps at the end of the swings, the stronger side also does 8 reps.

So don't do anything different except always start with the strong side and let the stronger side do exactly the same as the other one. So if the strong side can only do 8 reps at the end of the swings, the stronger side also does 8 reps.
Agreed, as recommended in the S&S book.

Continue swinging. Record your sessions and watch closely on what you are doing differently on each side. Consider the whole body. Then, focus on perfect form. Think of what you like on the stronger side better and how it’s different on the other. Focus on applying that better technic to the less strong side. It’s often the unloaded part that get’s overlooked - watch your lats.

I’m a lefty, I like my right hand side swings better, by feel. Although a SFG had a different opinion when he was looking at me.

Continue swinging. Record your sessions and watch closely on what you are doing differently on each side. Consider the whole body. Then, focus on perfect form. Think of what you like on the stronger side better and how it’s different on the other. Focus on applying that better technic to the less strong side. It’s often the unloaded part that get’s overlooked - watch your lats.

I’m a lefty, I like my right hand side swings better, by feel. Although a SFG had a different opinion when he was looking at me.
That's interesting. My left is my dominant as well but my right swings feel better. Odd.

Thanks for all the advice. Here's an update: I hurt my back on rep number 97 or 98 on my strong side. Honestly, I think I was just using weight that was too heavy. I've had a number of lower back injuries over the years, almost always while lifting weights or kettlebells. I think my strong side struggles because of these injuries. I think I use weight that is appropriate for one side but not the other.

I think I'm ready for a hard reset - when my back gets better (I think it's a pulled muscle), I think I'm just going to start with very light weight, 12 kg, and progress very slowly and carefully. I think think I have a serious strength gap that I've never addressed.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Before you start again, please see an instructor (if possible) to dial in your form. With proper form, you'll make the fastest progress and we drastically reduce the chance of future injury.

You can also try to use your non dominant side to do everyday things. You have to stop and think. Doing stuff on non habitual autopilot takes up a lot of mental space. Brush your teeth, opening stuff etc. Doesn't have to be intricate calligraphy, just basic moves and often. It builds connectivity. We all have a dominant side but little things, often may help to address gross imbalance.

I think I'm ready for a hard reset - when my back gets better (I think it's a pulled muscle), I think I'm just going to start with very light weight, 12 kg, and progress very slowly and carefully. I think think I have a serious strength gap that I've never addressed.

12kg might be a safe way to build/rebuild your swing technique, but it won't help your strength.

Have you tried one-arm kettlebell deadlifts? You can do these heavier than whatever you were swinging. This still might not be the best way to build strength, but will do more than moving 12kg.

12kg might be a safe way to build/rebuild your swing technique, but it won't help your strength.

Have you tried one-arm kettlebell deadlifts? You can do these heavier than whatever you were swinging. This still might not be the best way to build strength, but will do more than moving 12kg.

Do you think it would be a good idea to do a set of one-arm KB deadlifts in addition to the 12 kg S&S workout? Maybe later in the day, until I get my numbers back up?

Do you think it would be a good idea to do a set of one-arm KB deadlifts in addition to the 12 kg S&S workout? Maybe later in the day, until I get my numbers back up?

Yes (as long as it's not aggravating your back). Because what you want with S&S, or any training session, is an appropriate dose of stress so that your body can recover and adapt to come back stronger. 12kg is not adequate stress to do anything strength-wise, though it may be OK for swing practice. So if you add some deadlifts in, you'll get that "right amount" of work combined. If you've been doing S&S for a while, you'll know what it is.

Hello,

My stronger side is significantly stronger than my strong side when it comes to one-hand swings. On my left, I feel strong with good technique. On my right, I'm just okay. (My Turkish get ups are pretty even).

I'm currently doing Simple and Sinister, so I'm just looking for suggestions or ideas. Work the program and let it take care of itself? Do more swing with my "strong" side? something else?

Thanks in advance!
In my experience, it's most often grip - try doing your swings outside, and really hit it hard with your hips. Be prepared for the bell to go flying.

-S-

I agree with the above comment that a 12kg bell will likely not do much for your strength. the bell needs to be heavy enough to produce a stimuli to react to, that in no way means very heavy, but heavy enough and that is different for everyone. so instead of going much lighter, again I agree with the above comments going to one arm kettlebell deadlifts, possibly heavier that the swing you are doing will provide some motor learning.
if you feel unstable with the swing, especially in the arm like you mentioned it is likely that you are not packing your shoulder and using the lat. again heavy one arm kettlebell deadlifts will help this. there are many other drills that can help build this habit.
if you are consistently irritating your low back on lifts and kettlebells I would strongly recommend seeing a certified StrongFirst instructor. There is likely a common fault or posture your adopting while training that is causing these little irritations. Having a qualified person get there eyes on you may identify that quite quickly and save you so much time, anguish, and pain. if you there are not instructors local to, a qualified and experienced SFG can do a lot of good online via video.
-Noah Maxwell SFG TL

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom