all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Suggestions for incorporating kettlebells into strength program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Geoman

Level 1 Valued Member
Firstly, I will state that my main goal is to get stronger, so I've been using the following program for the past month, based on Greyskull LP:
Workout A: overhead press, pull-ups, and deadlifts
Workout B: Bench press, rows, and deadlifts (singles)
Workout C: weighted dips, weighted pull-ups, pistol squat

Three days per week I run (mostly easy pace) on non-strength training days to maintain conditioning. I'm thinking of incorporating kettlebell swings on my running days. Since I know it will be asked, I want to include swings in order to help build strength endurance and explosiveness, and because I want to practice them.

Background info that may be useful;
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 177-180 lbs
Injury history: Recently i've had discomfort in my elbows (possibly elbow tendiniis/tendinosis) after starting high frequency pull-ups, so I don't do high frequency pull-ups and include lighter dumbbell rows and curls because they're easier on my elbows. No pain or discomfort with deadlifts or pressing movements.

thanks,

@Geoman, welcome to StrongFirst.

There is more than one way to use a swing in your training. Perhaps this article - FAQ: Comparing Kettlebell: Simple & Sinister and the ETK Program Minimum and ROP - will be of interest because it talks about how swings are used in the Rite of Passage _after_ one's strength training but how they're used differently in Simple & Sinister, done _before_ one's strength training.

If I could choose, based on what you've said, I'd do a few, explosive swings with a relatively heavy weight as the first thing you do on your lifting days. Second choice would be to do them after lifting on lifting days.

JMO, YMMV.

-S-

If your main goal is to get stronger, might I suggest nixing the running...

I agree with Steve on the heavy swings. I've had really good results doing 10x10 with a pair of bells after deadlifting (not Greyskull, but still). Do them twice/week S&S style... Explosive swings, rest as needed between sets so as to allow each successive set to be as powerful as the first (i.e. conversation pace).

Thanks for the ideas. The gym I go to only allows the personal trainers to use the kettlebells, but I have some at my house. Based on the suggestions here, I'll do swings as a PM session on workout A or B (my gym days) and first on workout C days (at my house). I don't remember if the 10x10 is for two handed or one handed swings, but I have a copy of simple and sinister so I'll check.

As for the running, I'll limit it to twice per week for 2-4 miles, this way it's in maintenance mode. I don't want to completely lose my endurance.

S&S is 1H Swings. For your purposes, do 2KB Swings though... Just in the same format from a timing perspective.

Also, might I suggest an experiment...

Do a 5k time trial & a basic strength test (of 2-3 lifts that are important to you). Do your 2 runs/week for 2-3 weeks. Repeat your test. Then skip the running completely for 2-3 weeks but perform the swings 2-3 times/week. Repeat your test.

Based on personal experience, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the results from both a strength perspective and a conditioning one.

And, if you do so, let me know after Thanksgiving (or so) how it turned out... :)

Also, might I suggest an experiment...

Do a 5k time trial & a basic strength test (of 2-3 lifts that are important to you). Do your 2 runs/week for 2-3 weeks. Repeat your test. Then skip the running completely for 2-3 weeks but perform the swings 2-3 times/week. Repeat your test.

Based on personal experience, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the results from both a strength perspective and a conditioning one.

And, if you do so, let me know after Thanksgiving (or so) how it turned out... :)

That's a good idea. The good thing about Greyskull LP is that the final set is an amrap, so that gives me a good estimate of a 1 rep max. I did overhead press, pull ups and kb swings today, so tomorrow I'll do a time trial. I have a theory that being a good runner (not elite) is really just a matter of having good conditioning and good running form, and that you don't necessarily need to do a ton of miles to be good.

day 1 - deadlift + ROP presses and cleans + pull ups

day 3 - squat + bench press + swings at the end

day 5 - double kb work, front squats, double kb presses , finish with snatches

here ya go ;)

on day 5 you can change to overhead press instead of kb press if you want or rotate them . I would treat it a little as

day 1 - heavy (deadlifts ! heavy ! )

day 3 - medium ( squats still heavy but not so as deadlifts)

day 5 - light (weight wise ) kettle bell work, still lighter than barbell work (or it is usually)

Greyskull is designed to leave room for "plugins" as the author calls them. Put together a Kettlebell plugin and work that in. It would be a much better use of time than "arms" or some other bodybuilding-style hypertrophy plugin imho.

I have to agree with the people saying you can cut the running. I have done fitness tests for work without training for the 1.5 mile and only used S&S and one easy 10 minute run a week (I told myself this was to keep my form in check, not sure if it was all that necessary). I was still able to improve my run over several months. It is much easier to build your conditioning in a short time (compared to strength) should you decide you want to run a race for fun at some point.

I went back to grey skull today with 10x10 snatches done emom. This was my main stay for about two years but with swings and tgu's done the S&S way. I only ran twice a year for my Navy PFA and killed it, 10:27 at 45 years old and 230lbs. I think this is the best way to run it. There isn't so much volume you can't recover and you get some pressing and squatting in.

Recently i've had discomfort in my elbows (possibly elbow tendiniis/tendinosis) after starting high frequency pull-ups, so I don't do high frequency pull-ups and include lighter dumbbell rows and curls because they're easier on my elbows
High frequency pull-ups are a common culprit for elbow issues. Obviously only a trained medical professional should diagnose and prescribe treatment (which I am not), but what I have found useful in elbow issues related to pull-ups is this:
Switch to a weighted 3RM protocol
Use rings as opposed to a straight bar.
Do wrist pronators

@Geoman I agree with @offwidth on varying grips for pull-ups. I started doing weighted pull-ups with ROP and switch between a straighbar, neutral bars, and rings. I have zero elbow pain after switching and I am getting in some quality work.

I lift 3 times a week and I like adding in medium and heavy 2H swings as a finisher. I wave the loads depending on how I feel and what kind of weight I'm lifting during the barbell session. So if it's a lighter barbell week (75%-80%rm) I go with heavier swings (5-10 x 10), and if I'm in my 90%rm week I'll go with a lighter bell (10 x 10) for a quick but powerful finisher. Been working well so far.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom