all posts post new thread

Nutrition Suggestions on multivitamins quantities for young healthy man

Elbront56

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello,

I'm 27, I wonder what kind of multivitamins shall I take in order to maintain my health.

I need to mention that I have always taken Multicentrum for men, like 3 times a week average.
Now, thanks to some doctor on Youtube (I hope he's right), I discovered that many of my discomforts were due to lack of minerals, like Zinc mainly.
I can't state that yet, but if it's true, then I found the golden solution.

I noticed that there are better products on the market than Multicentrum, obviously also much more expensive, like Multi-Pro Plus (30 pak.) - Scitec Nutrition
I don't post it for advertisements, there are many other products on the market that have similar values.

Concerns
1. I noticed that the Vitamins are in very high quantities, is it all ok? I guess so, consider that eventually I'll pull them out

2. The minerals are not over 100%, apart Manganese with 235%, so I guess that all the quantities are safe, but what about Manganese?

3. I was vegan up to 6 months ago, but I stopped and I feel much better, I still eat vegan products weekly.
Most probably I was missing some of these vitamins and minerals, I hope to Veganize myself again ASAP.
In any case, during my vegan adventure, I was quite down, I'm not sure if it was depression, but it was some serious crap, coffe and redbull in the morning couldn't lift me up in the morning (and I don't tolerate caffeine from a simple coffe, it has been always very strong on me), but I was doing anyway heavy sports like Downhill. I don't know how I made it, I was feeling very weak.
Now I feel better but I changed the diet, I still hope that these supplements will set me up vegan as before in full health.

4. I'm also taking Whey proteins, just one shot a day for the moment (around 24g and 1-2g of grams and fat), I'll know more later how it goes with this too...

Overall, I need to fix myself, mostly for lack of motivation to train but as I've seen from a doctor on Youtube (I explained more here: Off-Topic - What's your source of motivation? ), I most probably have a strong deficit of Zinc and other minerals/vitamins...

(when I say I'm an healthy man, I mean no diseases, so I should be able to fix myself with ordinary care)

I need to clarify that my diet is pretty much as following, and it's simplified on purpose, so I don't lose my time with useless calories counting:

Breakfast
1. Granola, 27g Proteins, 14g fat, 20g Carbs (it's the lowest level of carbs I found)
2. Soy drink ~330 ml (2.5g protein / 100ml, 2g fat and 9g carbs, plus 20% vitamins and minerals already included). Probably I'll need to choose a simpler soy drink, because with the supplements the levels are gonna be over limits. Also, I'm planning to take these supplements during breakfast, so it makes even more sense, what do you think?

Lunch
3. Whatever has at least 20g proteins every 100g of product, possibly low fat and low carbs, usually the consumption gives me 25g proteins, 18-25g fat and 20-40g carbs.
Considering that I take 150g of such food, I'd say that I take 30g proteins, 30g fat, 50g carbs.
3.1 Small portion of vegetables, usually tomatoes and salad

Dinner
4. Whatever has at least 20g proteins every 100g of product, possibly low fat and low carbs, usually the consumption gives me 25g proteins, 18-25g fat and 20-40g carbs.
Considering that I take 150g of such food, I'd say that I take 30g proteins, 30g fat, 50g carbs.
4.1 Small portion of vegetables, usually tomatoes and salad, but not always at dinner.

Calories
1538 kcal (I'm only 165 for 60kg, but I'm not sure how I ended up with such low amount).
In the past I made a test, 1300 was just fine for me for a couple of months and I was fully vegan, but it's true that I wasn't in the same life situation...
Now, if I take also the protein shake, I'd add up 96 kcal for the proteins (24g) plus 30 kcal for fat and carbs included.
Still lower than the recommended minimum for an adult... How bad it is actually?

It's worth noting that sometimes I'm more hungry, so I may increase the kcal up to ~2000, taking probably 15g more proteins and 15g fat.

Water consumption
5. I take 2700ml a day, sometimes less, but not more, it's quite rare to overtake that limit... It was suggested by an App, but there is no exact science here, isn't?
(it includes the soy drink considering that it's almost only water)

Below you find a summary of my current diet, it changes day to day though, I may take fish at lunch, beef, or vegan hamburger, same for dinner.
The bread is used mainly to fill up the stomach, I use the lightweight version, so pretty little weight on my calories.

I have the same diet level if I train or not, there isn't much variation.

Diet.png

Honestly sounds like you had the classic vegan deficiencies. B12, d3, iron, and protein.
All of them can be fixed via supplementation or better diet planning. (Doing super restrictive diets are extremely hard to do healthily. People are omnivores naturally)

I’m 42, 100kg and don’t take any. I consistently eat at least maintenance calories ( 3000 ). I eat all the food groups, carbs fat protein and beer. Not as lean as I used to be but have less annoying joint issues than when I tried to diet and feel good enough to be at the gym at 4am 3 times a week.

If anything for me I’d just have a standard multivitamin from the chemist. Nothing special.

After a month, this is what happened:
1. I didn't train, I've been sick most of the time, so this month it's really not a good one to make a conclusion, but it's interesting.

2. I felt an immediate boost in energy as soon as I took the protein shake daily, this lasted 1 week. See below why.

3. From the 2nd week, I took a proper vitamin and mineral supplement, it's called Scitec Multi Pro Plus, you can't go wrong with that, I think it's one of the best in the market. The incredible difference with the protein shake faded, but I've been sick most of the time as I said.

4. Since a couple of day, so between 3rd and 4th week, I feel an extreme boost in energy, I mean, mainly mentally because I couldn't train due to being sick (viruses)... It's like I'm quite awake! Definitely, I don't feel low at all.

------------------------
Is it possible that this adjustment in diet will last or it's just the good period?
To what I need to address most of the credit? Just searching for opinions here, I need to solve this by myself at the end.

The worst enemy for me was feeling very weak mentally, so weak that it was difficult to do anything, not only sport, much more than a problem...
------------------------

Anyway, with being 62KG, what could go wrong with these supplements?
The amount of protein is basically twice the KG, and it's the first time in my life that I pump so many vitamines and minerals.
Before I was taking multicentrum, but it's general purpose and the quantities are very little, I was taking it every 3 days average...

The first downside that I'm feeling these days is the sleep, it seems to be quite light, it was also recorded by my watch, but I feel very well rested when I wake up and with extreme energies, enough to move mountains , but I shouldn't misunderstand these feelings with something that is probably going bad...
It's like something is pushing me away from the chair, enough to do more and more and I need to push my self into bed at late evening :D .
(I don't take caffeine or similar things)

Last edited:
--- Summary after 4 months ---
It was all due to missing vitamins, plus some mineral too, it's just difficult to list them all because I didn't test them separately, it requires a lot of money and a lot of time too.

If you are feeling very weak daily without a clear reason or you think that your job is destroying you, try with such things before thinking you have depression or similar problems... It will change your life.
Thanks everyone for the help so far.

I’ve been eating mostly plants for almost a year now. Most of your vitamins, minerals and liquid should come from the food you eat. Always look to eat food instead of supplement. This is the natural way. However, for a plant-based diet you definitely need certain individual supplements and might need a few others.

1. B12 / vitamin B supplement. The vitamin B12 is not available in plants, so you must supplement it. Vitamin B in general is water soluble, so you can take quite large quantities.

2. Omega 3. You simply can’t get enough Omega 3 without eating fatty fish. Absolute must to supplement, or then eat good amounts fatty fish once or twice a week.

3. Vitamin D, unless you get plenty of sun. This is generally very useful to supplement. Fat soluble, so you can also supplement it periodically.

4. Protein and Essential Amino Acids. Plant-based proteins do not have an optimal amino acid distribution, which means you have to combine protein sources. One especially important essential amino acid to keep an eye on is leucine, which appears to have a large role in activating muscle protein synthesis. I recommend mixing different beans, peas and other legumes as your main protein source. Add nuts, seeds, rice, and grains to further balance out the amino acid distribution. In addition, you might have to eat quite a bit of plants to get the protein you want. If you are not supplementing with a protein powder, remember that a cup of beans has somewhere between 12 and 25 grams of protein. To hit 120 grams that’s quite a few cups. Also note that beans, peas and legumes also have carbohydrates, so you might not need as much additional carbs when you eat a lot of them. On top of all that, it’s good to understand that we do not have as much studies on things like mTOR and muscle protein synthesis activation through carbohydrate consumption as we have protein studies. We might not need 200+ grams of protein a day when consuming good quality carbohydrates (which plants tend to contain).

5. Iron, magnesium, and zinc. The need for supplementation depends a lot on how much legumes, nuts, beans, peas, lentils, and seeds you eat. If you eat plenty of them and mix them up, you can get a good amount of the minerals from your food. Good salt, like Himalayan salt, is also very helpful.

Remember to also eat enough. This is key.

Then the final bit. Go for three to six months to acclimate to big changes in eating habits. It simply takes time for you to get used to it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom