all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Suggestions: Only have access to one 24 kg

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rory V

Level 1 Valued Member
Good morning all,

I'm a 32 yo, male, 68 inches, and approx. 225 lbs at about 18% bf. I've been involved in various physical pursuits such as Crossfit, kettle bells, powerlifting, Army pt, etc. for the past 6 yrs. or so. I'm an Army aircrew member, so I'm focused on maximizing my pt score (to get out of organized pt), mobility (to combat all the sitting), strengthening the posterior chain (to combat the deleterious effects of all the sitting with helmet and body armor), improving body composition, and generally pursuing something physically challenging.

My question is this: after I accomplish the performance goals of S&S with a 24 kg, what's next? Since I'm in a deployed state, I only have access to a 24 kg for the next nine months. Would it be beneficial to keep cranking out 100 one arm swings and 10 TGU/day for the remainder of the deployment even if I achieve the 5 min and 10 min time standards one month from now? I've considered doing the ROP with the 24 to see how far I get into the snatch test and pressing ladders, but it has been suggested by many to achieve the simple goal of S&S before moving on. So what to do?

Welcome to StrongFirst, @Rory V!
Would it be beneficial to keep cranking out 100 one arm swings and 10 TGU/day for the remainder of the deployment even if I achieve the 5 min and 10 min time standards one month from now?
Achieve the goal, then come back and ask again.

I've considered doing the ROP with the 24 to see how far I get into the snatch test and pressing ladders, but it has been suggested by many to achieve the simple goal of S&S before moving on. So what to do?
That sounds like a good plan to me - achieve Simple, then do the ROP with a 24.

-S-

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the reply. My predicament is that I don't have a 32. Since I've been doing swings and getups for several months now, I'm within weeks of achieving the performance standards with the 24. I've actually been purposefully slowing it down since I only have one bell. In fact, I've achieved the standard in prior workouts, but have switched to other forms of training due to fitness related ADD that Dan John has talked about. I'm only now focusing on one modality due to the nature of the environment I'm in. I posed my original question because I wanted to be the most productive I can be with what I have without going off on some tangent like I've done in the past.

I think once you can hit the 100 swings in 5 minutes and 10 get ups in 10 then a cycle through RoP will be a great next step. It's a very different challenge. You can still do get ups on the variety days.

Hi Rory V,

I am retired a while from the Army and I am two weeks into S&S. Once I achieve the simple standard I will have a better idea where to go. If Sinister or ROP isn't in the cards then it will be Bodyweight, "The Naked Warrior" by Pavel Tsatsouline. It looks interesting and doesn't require any equipment or training place. Also it would be perfect for your PT test. In any case meet the S&S Simple standard before changing your program.

You can tweak the ROP if all you have is a lighter weight, e.g., you can switch to ladders of 2-3-5 and do more of them, or keep 5 ladders but go 2-5-8 or 3-5-7 or some combination thereof.

A bit of bottoms-up work with a 24 kg might provide an additional challenge, e.g., do a b/u clean and b/u press for the first rung or two of each ladder.

You can also work on compressing the rest periods in almost any program that doesn't have you working near your limits.

You could also look into a program that uses a pair of 24's if you have access to a pair.

Do you have access to a barbell?

-S-

All great suggestions...thank you! @Steve Yes sir, I do, but we're rotating in and out of training exercises, so the only way I can get decent, measurable consistency is with bodyweight or kettle bell

Rory,
I wouldn't worry about doing ROP without having met the S&S simple standard. Many people have had success with ROP without doing S&S or any kind of program minimum before. There are also lots of ways to keep progressing with the 24 for a long time (Steve F already mentioned a few).

Aside from the ROP, you can also work up to doing one arm pushups, pistols... And do crawling

Just a suggestion for an alternative or for those days you want to "flip the crazy switch"; Jon Engum's Deep Six. It's perfectly possible to drive yourself into the ground with a single 24 using this protocol. Since it works squats, snatches, presses, cleans and TGU it does the whole job.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom