all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Suggestions tailoring my routine?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jason Welsh

First Post
Hi everyone, new here but a long time fitness enthusiast. I have become more fascinated with Pavel's methods and want some advice modifying my routine.

I train at home and basically do a combination of calisthenics (pullups, dips, pushups, pistols, l sits, ab wheel rollouts, planks, etc.), sandbag training (zercher squats, shouldering, carries, presses, rows), deadlifts with a barbell, and kettlebell swings and presses (I currently only have one 60 lbs bell so I am limited there.).

I also do a ton of HIIT in the form of burpees, I do hill sprints, and a lot of hiking.

I train full body workouts and I am considering how to get all of this together in a way that maybe takes a grease the groove approach through the week. As I understand it, I should be training nowhere near failure, far more frequently. So should I be doing random sets of deads, pistols, zercher squats, weighted pullups and dips, sandbag clean and presses, carries, etc. throughtout the day on most days of the week?

Hi @Jason Welsh , welcome!

In the book The Naked Warrior, Pavel suggests using grease the groove for only two exercises. If you will be doing more than two exercises, he suggest doing all other like a traditional program. Also, he suggests being careful with the exercise choice (ie if you are GTG push ups, don't do bench presses).

In the book he suggests pistols and one arm push ups, but other alternatives work well, like pull ups.

If you haven't read the book I highly recommend it.

You could try as follows:

- GTG pistols
- GTG pull ups or dips (Chose one, the other include in the normal routine)
- swings twice a week.

-ditch the zerchers for overlap with pistols
- do all others as a normal routine

@Jason Welsh
Welcome to SF. It would be helpful if you could provide a bit more of a bio. Age, weight, injury history, sports played and maybe more importantly why are you training. i.e. What are your training goals?
This way we could possibly better frame answers.

Course of action 1: Pare down your movement selection to the few (3 or less) things/movements you want to excel at and do them with high frequency, low volume, varying intensities.

Course of action 1 requires a bit of introspection to really figure out why you want to train and what it takes to get there. This often looks like S&S if you don't compete in something.

Course of action 2: Distribute all those movements across however many days it takes to do them all without doing too much in any single session.

For course of action 2, I like 2-3 non-consecutive days per week using this session template (movement examples included) and volume for each session and movement that is not too high so each rep is quality.
  1. Power (Explosive)
    • Swings
    • <100m sprints
  2. Strength (Low reps)
    • Deadlifts
    • Pistols
    • Heavy Presses
    • Weighted Pull-Ups
    • Ab Roller
    • Get-Ups
  3. Strength Endurance (Hypertrophy Oriented)
    • Push-Ups
    • Dips
    • Zercher Squats
    • Heavy Carries
  4. Power Endurance/Stamina/Work Capacity (Intervals and Density work well for me here)
    • Burpees
    • Sandbag Get-ups
    • >100m Sprints
Don't do it all each session, only pick a few things and make the session high quality practice. Ideally, This would be pared down also to the things that you require for the future version of you that you want. I think COA 2 will kind of look like crossfit if you don't put some thought into what/why you're doing things though. *Nothing against crossfit, it's just not for me.

Hi everyone, new here but a long time fitness enthusiast. I have become more fascinated with Pavel's methods and want some advice modifying my routine.

I train at home and basically do a combination of calisthenics (pullups, dips, pushups, pistols, l sits, ab wheel rollouts, planks, etc.), sandbag training (zercher squats, shouldering, carries, presses, rows), deadlifts with a barbell, and kettlebell swings and presses (I currently only have one 60 lbs bell so I am limited there.).

I also do a ton of HIIT in the form of burpees, I do hill sprints, and a lot of hiking.

I train full body workouts and I am considering how to get all of this together in a way that maybe takes a grease the groove approach through the week. As I understand it, I should be training nowhere near failure, far more frequently. So should I be doing random sets of deads, pistols, zercher squats, weighted pullups and dips, sandbag clean and presses, carries, etc. throughtout the day on most days of the week?

What is your point A (where you are now) and your point B (where you want to be)? Cant help you get to get there without knowing where you are and where you want to go.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom