all posts post new thread

Barbell Sumo Dead Lift

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I am playing with hook grip for another go-round, and this time, it seems to be working for me. I'm up to a couple of triples at about 70% 1RM, and when I get up to 5's, I'll probably start to add some weight and go back to fewer reps.

-S-
Reps are murderously hard with The Hook. If you can survive heavy reps, heavy singles will be easy.

I am playing with hook grip for another go-round, and this time, it seems to be working for me. I'm up to a couple of triples at about 70% 1RM, and when I get up to 5's, I'll probably start to add some weight and go back to fewer reps.

-S-

Once you spend enough time to build up the hook grip callous it gets slightly easier. Take extra care of the nails and cuticles of the thumb. If you have a hang nail, cut the nail short, or such, then hook grip really sucks.

Chalk? I can’t imagine learning hook grip without it.

Reps are murderously hard with The Hook. If you can survive heavy reps, heavy singles will be easy.
So far, easing into this, I have been fine. I think I did exactly 1 rep the first session, and have worked up to six total reps in a session so far, deadlifting twice a week or so. It's nice to be able to really ease in since I have no need to pull heavy or in high volume right now.

Once you spend enough time to build up the hook grip callous it gets slightly easier. Take extra care of the nails and cuticles of the thumb. If you have a hang nail, cut the nail short, or such, then hook grip really sucks.

Because I play the piano, double bass, and a guitar, I have a lifetime of being meticulous about the care of the ends of my fingers and my nails.

Chalk? I can’t imagine learning hook grip without it.
As a life-long asthmatic - fortunately, no symptoms at all now since doing Buteyko - I never used chalk and I still don't. I have them clean the bar for me at meets.

As a general thing in my lifting, I like it that my "core" and my grip are stronger, relatively speaking, than other parts of me. It means my deadlifts fail because I can't raise the weight but nothing breaks in the process. My grip was strong enough to do a rack-straddle DL with 405 lbs at an AWA meet a few years ago, and that's more than I've ever deadlifted. All that by way of saying that I don't need chalk at this time and haven't so far because holding onto things has never been an issue for me.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom