all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Super Joints - minimum effective dose

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Fred64

Level 5 Valued Member
So. I trust Pavel and I like his writing. And I really like the simple (in a good way) approach of Simple and Sinister, ETK and PTTP. Since I am getting really, really old I intend to start taking my joint health a little more seriously. But... I don't feel like spending too much time every morning doing a lengthy superjoints-routine. I want the minimum effective dose. I am doing get ups and swings following the S & S template and I am stretching following the same book. All that in the afternoon. Every day. Almost. Now I want a simple superjoint-routine to start the day. Today, I did hindu squats, hindu pushups (with some twisting in the cobra position like in the ETK-pump) and a little "bridging". I tried to avoid doing too many repetitions and focused on mobility rather than strength or conditioning. What do you guys think? Am I on the right track? Is this not even minimum? Any suggestions?

@Fred64 Welcome to StrongFirst!

A little is better than nothing - moving is good.

The joint lubrication doesn't happen instantly, however, so try one or two sets of 10-20 reps for a few things and see how it works for you. Or maybe one short set to "find" the movement, then a short rest, and a second, longer set to get the juices flowing.

-S-

Great question, @Fred64. I have had the same thought. If someone would give me a 5-min SJ "program" to do every morning, I might do it.

Anyone have one to offer? Or if not, maybe we should make one up using the options in the book and Steve's guidance above, and share here.

Great question, @Fred64. I have had the same thought. If someone would give me a 5-min SJ "program" to do every morning, I might do it.

Anyone have one to offer? Or if not, maybe we should make one up using the options in the book and Steve's guidance above, and share here.

Here is one based on Flexible Steel (which gives big props to Super Joints). I've been using 90% of it for a few months and it definitely has helped. The 90% wasn't intentional. I just rewatched the video and realized i was missing a few of the moves at the end. I'll try adding them back in.

OS resets are great, yes... but I don't think they completely take the joints through their full range of motion which is what SJ is about.

I'm interested enough in this to give it a shot. I'll design a 5-minute morning routine using the book -- will post here soon for comments.

Here is one based on Flexible Steel (which gives big props to Super Joints). I've been using 90% of it for a few months and it definitely has helped. The 90% wasn't intentional. I just rewatched the video and realized i was missing a few of the moves at the end. I'll try adding them back in.

That one looks good, thanks @Phat_Tony! Louka is great. I will give that one a try for sure.

Depending on how much OS you have done/experienced(going to the Pressing Reset workshop will clear that up) you can get full joint ROM. It just takes knowing the resets and knowing your body.

Best thing to do is to move daily and vary up that movement. I say mix both OS resets and Super Joints if you are worried about specific joints.

I remember convict conditioning book 2 had "trifecta", which I have done in the past a few months, was only a few minutes. It had progressions. But like Anna mentioned it may not be full range of motion, I don't know, but its a pretty good minimal program, I think.

Finally got a chance to watch the whole Flexible Steel Mobility Complex video above. This looks perfect, actually. I don't think I can improve on that! I'll give it a try for a while, first thing each morning.

Yes, great combo of drills however takes longer than 5 minutes though, no?
As a daily dose, or warm up, it is perfect. Personally I like doing a full body
Mobility session without time constraints, run through it relaxed and focusing on breathing, probably because I need to spend time on it, being rusty and tight that I am. I add in more knee related stuff too, mind, so it does take longer for me.
For a very quick mobility, or warm up, condense it further. I have an unexplored tai chi DVD and it has a very good relaxed mobility drill warm up, some of the same in the above video......neck circles, shoulder circles, arm circles, figure 8 swimming thing, arm twisty torso thing, wrist, hip, knee and ankle circles. That comes in at 5 minutes without rushing it, kind of minimal minimal dose maybe? A micro dose even!

True ali, Louka's took close to 10 mins.
I wanted to throw in one more into the mobility mix, also from the Super Joints book, but not the main content but 'Amosov's mobility exercises' (mentioned within the first few pages), which takes about 15 minutes I think.

So I've been doing Louka's routine that Phat_Tony linked above for about a week now, first thing in the morning, and I like it. I even used it with my group of 3 students yesterday to start training, and it worked well.

Here's a quick summary of the "Flexible Steel Mobility Complex" routine in the video, with references to "Super Joints" book, where applicable:

(SJ 1) Three Plane Neck Movements, 5 reps of each one, R/L
(SJ 2) Shoulder circles 5 fwd, 5 back
(SJ 8) Arm Circles, 5 fwd, 5 back
(SJ 6) The Egyptian, 5 each way
Elbow Circles, putting on shades, 10 reps
(SJ 5) Elbow Circles (swimming-like motion), 5 reps under, over on R/L
(SJ 3) Fist Exercise, 10 reps
(SJ 4) Wrist Rotations, 5 each way
(SJ 12) Hula Hoop, 5 each way
(SJ 13) Belly Dance, 5 each way
Floppy Arm Swing
(SJ 10) Knee circles, 5 each way
(SJ 9) Ankle circles, 5 each way R/L
(SJ 11) Squat, a few, prying hips open
(SJ 14) Cossack, 5 each side going back and forth
Pump Stretch, a few

I think now that I have that down pretty well, I'll start adding in a few more of the SJ exercises.

Anyone else giving it a try? @Fred64, have you found something that works for you?

In my opinion and experience, the key to any mobility routine, especially a minimal, time-efficient one, is individualization. You have to experiment to find those big bang for the buck drills that produce results for YOU. That takes time, effort and attention, but once you zero in on YOUR toolbox, you will be able to get the job done much more efficiently and effectively.

I know there are lots of drills that others recommend and swear by, that are mostly a waste of time for me. And the drills I get a lot out of may not be effective for you.

My personal go to drills come from a variety of sources, and that's part of the process as well, seeking out different stuff to try, and test driving it.

Identifying your particular issues can be helpful, but I think it's more important to experiment with moves and see what happens. The body is one piece, and sometimes a move that doesn't seem to directly address a problem area has surprising effects, and can often make a more dramatic difference than drills that SEEM more directly targeted.

@Abdul Rasheed, I think it could be done in 5 minutes, but closer to 10 if you take a little more time in the areas you need. I would suggest doing it along with Louka 4 or 5 times, then try it on your own with the summary list another 4 or 5 times, then start modifying reps and time to suit your needs. Then back to Super Joints to find some more advanced moves to add. :)

@Steve W., great points. Along these lines, I can see that a routine like the one above is great to start out with, but can be advanced; for example, in Super Joints, in #23 Shoulder dislocates, Pavel says "Once you take up shoulder dislocates you can say good-bye to the shoulder and arm circles from the mobility drill section." But I imagine the progression is helpful in getting familiar with the feeling of what should be gained by the exercise.

@Steve W. absolutely, couldn't agree more. An overlooked simple drill Pavel discusses I think in super joints, can't remember exactly, is hanging. Has done wonders for me, better thoracic rotation, better overall alignment and makes me feel great.

Pavel says "Once you take up shoulder dislocates you can say good-bye to the shoulder and arm circles from the mobility drill section."

Interesting. Another thing I missed!! I do dislocates with my dog leash when I'm out on walks but not with the dog still attached!

I tried flexible steel mobility complex, for a few days now to 'oil' my joints. I feel good. Cossack squat, I can't go all the way down..that's the tough one for me. I may skip this, not sure if there is any point in keep doing this? As for prying squat I will give it a miss, since I do a couple of sets of goblet squats anyway. Pump stretch is tough one too, no way I can do the ten reps, I will do as much as I can.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom