all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Super Joints - what to expect?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 7569

Hello everyone. Thanks for all the help thus far! I feel like joining this forum has helped to increase my understanding of these skills and, ultimately, of strength.

6'1 Male, 155 pounds, ~12-15% BF, no real mobility issues to speak of, I can move pretty well

I've been running NW and trying to get serious about my mobility in the mean time.

I just began doing the pistol mobility drills in this video every other day as well as Super Joints every morning for the past week.

But this question is about Super Joints. I've been doing the Amosov's complex (the one with 10 different moves, 23 repetitions each) to be specific, and haven't ventured into the other exercises yet.

I'd like to know what to expect from a joint mobility program like this. So far I noticed it wakes me up really well (since i do it first thing i morning) but that is all. I would like to know what other people noticed after following Super Joints for a while

Will I feel more limber, like a flexibility program? Or is it simply making me less prone to injuries when I do pistols and elevated OAPU?

I can't seem to find a whole lot of info regarding this book, and I like this style of mobility more than relax into stretching although i know they are accomplishing different things..

Hello,

Working on joints is never something useless, as long as form is good (for instance, if we go for yoga moves). Indeed it permits to:
> perform better the moves we do in our practice (deadlift, pistol, push ups, etc...)
> make the recovery faster
> prevent injury and / or (if properly done) make rehab faster
> increase fluidity (here, ability to move (get down, get up, twist, lift, etc...)) in daily life
> improve posture, proprioception (balance + coordination)
> reduce stress (at least for me, if done with breathing)

Basically, it makes the body "younger"

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Jak Nieuwenhuis, to put it simply: SJ will help you keep what you've got. Relax Into Stretch will help increase your range of motion.

The two are an unbeatable combination, and Flexible Steel is a worthy addition to your reading because it boils things down to a relatively small number of well-chosen exercises for both kinds of movement.

-S-

Jak Nieuwenhuis said:
But this question is about Super Joints.
(...)
I would like to know what other people noticed after following Super Joints for a while

I have been doing a mobility routine almost every morning for more than a year, based on Flexible steel/SJ (40 reps, I am a bit older than you).

What I observed:
- it helps me getting movement ready. I do not see a difference on a daily basis if I do not do it one day, but I notice a difference if I stop doing it for some time;
- it has released mild pain I used to have in some joints (left knee in particular);
- I feel my joints are less cranky (very subjective);
- it has also released some muscular pain (too complex to enter in details).

It takes only a few minutes, I try to stay consistent in the routine.

As for RIS, it serves a different purpose. In my mind, SJ ensures you keep normal use of your joints. RIS extends range of motion. Everybody needs the former, while the latter is specific to your needs.

I have been doing a mobility routine almost every morning for more than a year, based on Flexible steel/SJ (40 reps, I am a bit older than you).

What I observed:
- it helps me getting movement ready. I do not see a difference on a daily basis if I do not do it one day, but I notice a difference if I stop doing it for some time;
- it has released mild pain I used to have in some joints (left knee in particular);
- I feel my joints are less cranky (very subjective);
- it has also released some muscular pain (too complex to enter in details).

As for RIS, it serves a different purpose. In my mind, SJ ensures you keep normal use of your joints. RIS extends range of motion. Everybody needs the former, while the latter is specific to your needs.

Your training log was about the only thing I could find on Super Joints here at the strongfirst Forum. Thanks for replying :)

I'm trying to make my joints less cranky, so yes that makes sense. Maybe get one or 2 extra pistols a day with no worries about the knees being cranky, you know.

Mine usually takes about 20 minutes to run through Amosov's complex, I think I need to speed things up a bit

Hello,

Working on joints is never something useless, as long as form is good (for instance, if we go for yoga moves). Indeed it permits to:
> perform better the moves we do in our practice (deadlift, pistol, push ups, etc...)
> make the recovery faster
> prevent injury and / or (if properly done) make rehab faster
> increase fluidity (here, ability to move (get down, get up, twist, lift, etc...)) in daily life
> improve posture, proprioception (balance + coordination)
> reduce stress (at least for me, if done with breathing)

Basically, it makes the body "younger"

Kind regards,

Pet'

These are all absolutely things that I want from my mobility program. Looks like Super Joints was a good pick for me! I feel a bit foolish for practicing NW without a joint mobility foundation now, although in a way NW has made me more mobile in of itself..

Hello,

@Jak Nieuwenhuis
Regarding flexibility, you can go for:
bridge + LSit + twist (this is the trifecta: Tension Flexibility Training for a Healthy and Limber Body)
+ front / side split
+ toe touch

Then, you can add mobility:
- deep squat / cossack squat
- crawling and animal walks (basically, bear crawl, lizzar crawl)

Regarding balance, plenty of options again:
- in full ROM: pistol, SLDL
- OAP / OAOL PU / HSPU
- 1A / 2A elbow levers

Of course, this is always possible to add moves. Depending on the goals, constraints, I always wonder to myself
- Will the moves make me better in what I do / want to do / improve my health ?
- Are they sustainable on the long run ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Jak Nieuwenhuis
Regarding flexibility, you can go for:
bridge + LSit + twist (this is the trifecta: Tension Flexibility Training for a Healthy and Limber Body)
+ front / side split
+ toe touch

Then, you can add mobility:
- deep squat / cossack squat
- crawling and animal walks (basically, bear crawl, lizzar crawl)

Regarding balance, plenty of options again:
- in full ROM: pistol, SLDL
- OAP / OAOL PU / HSPU
- 1A / 2A elbow levers

Of course, this is always possible to add moves. Depending on the goals, constraints, I always wonder to myself
- Will the moves make me better in what I do / want to do / improve my health ?
- Are they sustainable on the long run ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

I actually ran the trifecta for about a month and stopped for no good reason when i found it in Convict conditioning 2.. how funny you would mention that because i've been replacing a couple of parts of Amosov's complex with the bridge and the twist.. i'ma put the l sit back in that piece, since it literaly takes 20 seconds

@Jak Nieuwenhuis, to put it simply: SJ will help you keep what you've got. Relax Into Stretch will help increase your range of motion.

The two are an unbeatable combination, and Flexible Steel is a worthy addition to your reading because it boils things down to a relatively small number of well-chosen exercises for both kinds of movement.

-S-

Would you please elaborate on how increasing my range of motion would help me with pistols and OAPU, if I can do the full ROM on pistol and elevated OAPU?

@Jak Nieuwenhuis, I have no idea what you need to do better pistols and/or pushups. But I'll also bet that you have no idea what some of the increased in ROM might do for you, if not in pistols and pushups, then in other ways. My personal example is learning to do splits - they help my bad back stay healthy.

-S-

Hello,

@Jak Nieuwenhuis
A full ROM pistol implies a great hip opening work. So, a lack of hip opening will degrade your pistol quality. Reciprocally, working on the pistol solely will improve hip opening and flexibility. For instance, when I first wanted to do pistol, I figured out that I was not able to do a real proper deep squat. This is a prerequisite IMO

Same logic for push up. For instance, a push up with parallette require more shoulder, shoulder blade and scapula flexibility.

Kind regards,

Pet'

It usually takes me less than 10 min.
The trick is that I do only one thing for each joint, except neck (3-planes neck) and hips (lambada and hoola-hoop), but not always the same.
For instance, one day, I may do shoulder rolls, especially if I have little time, or the Egyptian, but rarely both on the same day.

@Jak Nieuwenhuis further into the book there is a 10min daily routine that's recommended. It takes half the time of amosovs complex. I've done both & find the 10min daily to be much better bang for the buck, it hits every joint in small amount of time. Perfect for mornings, I rise at 2:30/3:00am for work, first thing I do is original strength daily routine-10mins then superjoints daily routine-10mins. Has me feeling awesome every morning in 20mins which isn't easy that early & with a high use/misused body. I also do this when I get home after work most days of the week just because I feel really good afterwards.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom