all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Super Slow strenght training for Wrestlers

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Diryan

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi. First post here

I watched the JRE pavel episode and a short topic caught my ear. From 48:00 minutes onward pavel talks about training type 1 fibres for wrestling and he gives examples for the push up and squat exercises. He states that there must not be any support from bones at all. I tried these variations and man they sucked! But i was wondering what sort of a pulling exercise would also do the trick? Is just a regular pull up done slowly such or does it have to have a specific range of motion? Or for example having heels on the ground being in so called reverse planck position under a bar and pulling youself up from there?

Im going to incorporate a few sets of these to my S & S training. Not much but maybe once or twice in 10 days. I dont do it daily anyway since im training bjj but maybe 3-5 times a week. Atleast the pushups and squats felt like they would transit well to grappling. Couldnt find any other sources for these even after 1hr of googling..

what sort of a pulling exercise would also do the trick? Is just a regular pull up done slowly such or does it have to have a specific range of motion?

Pavel had a guy demonstrate the slow-fiber hypertrophy training with a pull-up at Strong Endurance. Basically, as with the others, you move slowly back and forth through the middle of the range of motion for about 45 seconds... if you can. Keeping tension on the muscle. Yes, it's miserable. And it's quite different from regular pull-ups where we would be sure to use the whole range of motion from the hang to the very top with chest or neck to the bar.

The reverse plank position under the bar could work too, yes.

Google "slow twitch strongfirst" and you will find an article series (4 articles) by Pavel outlining the exact protocol with squats and diamond pushups as examples.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom