all posts post new thread

Barbell Super total training inpired by Dan John

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Stavros1

Level 3 Valued Member
Hello!

This is my first post (ever in forum) så bear with me.

Recently I have I heard about Easy strength training. The concept is attractive in many ways but I can train four days a week, tops. I´m also into olympic lifting so when I saw Dan Johns vlogg on Youtube the other day I was glad that he answered a question about super total training.

As I´m new to programming I thought I´d hear your thought on my next program. It´s inspired by easy training programs but in a four day week (I have attached the file).

I´m not fluent in english so sorry for if thelanguage looks weird.

Regards
Stavros

Attachments

• Easy strength Super total.pdf
    132.6 KB · Views: 100
Here is an interesting video that may give you some ideas. If you plan on using Easy Strength then I suppose you could do all 5 lifts each workout. Use single reps for the Olympic lifts.

Thank you very much for your reply!

The reason I have snatch 2x5 is because that was Dan Johns suggestion in tvideo (which gave me the idea in the first place):

Do you think singles for both OL will be more beneficial?

Last question: in my plan I included one day with unilateral movements and one heavy day with singles in all lifts. Would it be better to stick with 2x5 easy strength style training throughout the program?

Regards
Stavros

I would agree with @MikeTheBear, stick with singles for OL. I wonder why sets of 5 in the snatch; why different from C&J? I mean, you can do it if the weight is relatively light, maybe 70% of 1RM, but at some point you need to go up with the intensity, and at that point you'd need to do singles, or at least less reps.

I suppose it mainly depends what you are already strong in, what you are already technically competent in, how you like to train, (days per week etc.), how well you recover, how long your timeline is before doing a Supertotal training competition, etc... many variables.

I did mainly powerlifting from mid-2017 to mid-2019, then mainly Olympic Lifting from late-2019 to now. If I had in mind to strengthen all 5 competition lifts, I'd probably continue Oly training as I am now (which includes plenty of heavy squats), and add in bench press 2 sets of 5 twice per week, and a few heavy deadlift singles maybe once every 2 weeks.

Dan likes to do up to 5 reps in the Olympic lifts. Most Olympic lifters don't do more than 3. I prefer singles. A happy compromise is to do one rep every minute on the minute (EMOM). EMOMs allow you to keep moving but give you enough of a break so that technique stays fresh.

Great advise Bear! Singles with EMOM sounds like a great idea!

Regarding how many sets would be enough, do you have a general idea about that? Is 5 singles of snatch and 5 singles och clean and jerk to much in your opinion?

Great advise Bear! Singles with EMOM sounds like a great idea!

Regarding how many sets would be enough, do you have a general idea about that? Is 5 singles of snatch and 5 singles och clean and jerk to much in your opinion?
That is about right. I've seen recommendations of up to 10 singles for each lift, but you start at 70% 1RM and use that same weight for all 10 singles.

Good article here by Greg Everrett on EMOMs (he calls them on the minute or OTM sets, and I don't disagree). Lots of ways to play this. If you start light, around 70%, and don't change weight, you should do more sets - up to 12. If you want to add weight every few sets do less.

Here's Glenn Pendlay's take on OTM/EMOM sets. He recommends up to 20 singles if using a light weight (70%). I've contemplated whether 20 OTM singles makes sense and I think it does. This will allow you to really own the weight and provide a nice boost to conditioning.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether you could eke some hypertrophy out of an EMOM approach? In terms of my own experience, I did Justa's Singles #1 for a few months and I did stare into the mirror wondering whether I was a bit more buff from the 11+ singles days. I'm very confident I lost no mass

hypertrophy out of an EMOM approach
Cluster Set Training

As we know, Every Minute on The Minute is Clulster Set Training.

Dr Jonnathan Oliver Cluster Set Hypertrophy Training Reasearch

Oliver's reaseach was based on finding a method that allowed Strength and Power to be maintained and/or developed while increasing muscle mass, Hypertrophy.

The Protocol

1) Repetition: 1- 5 per cluster.

2) Rest Periods Between Clusters: 15 - 30 seconds

Shorter Rest Periods elicit a greater increase in muscle mass.

Longer Rest Periods of 45 seconds (Dr Greg Haff) produce more Power and Strength increases.

That means Every Minute On The Minutes is more about Power Development.

3) Explosiver Power: Each repetition in a Cluster Set needs to be performed with Explosive Power, Speed.

4) Rest Periods Between Sets: After performing a Cluster Set, a rest period of 3 minutes or longer is taken before performing the next cluster.

5) Termination of The Cluster Set: Once the Power Output Drops with the Repetition in a Cluster Set; terminate (Stop) the set. The training objective is lost once Power Drops.

The Training Objective

Exlosive Power and Speed innervates, trains and developes the Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber.

Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber are "Shooting Stars", they flame out quickly; in roughly 15 seconds.

Continuing once Repetition Explosive Power and Speed are lost, means that the Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber are no long working, being innervated, trained nor developed. The workload is gradually shifted toward the Slow Twitch Muscle Fiber.

Traditional Bodybuilding/Hypertrophy Training

This method increase muscle mass at the expense of a decrease in Strength and Power, if it is the sole training metod.

With that said, if Traditional Bodybuilding/Hypertrophy Training is integrated into a Conjugate Strength Training Program that contains Limit Strength and Power Training; it enhances the training effects of all the various Strengths in the progam.

This is a fairly good article on...

Cluster Sets for Strength and Power.

The bottom line: done properly, cluster sets will let you build more strength and power than straight sets in the same amount of time, while building at least as much muscle.

Building At Least As Much Muscle

Let me make a correction in the above "Bottom Line" statement.

Cluster Set Hypertrophy Training definitely increase muscle mass.

However, Traditional Bodybuilding/Hypertrophy Training is going to produce a slightly greater increase in muscle mass than Cluters.

That due to the production of lactate; the dowstream effects trigger a greater anabolic, muscle building effect.

wondering whether I was a bit more buff from the 11+ singles days.

Diet

Buff is based on more on your diet, as you know.

I'm very confident I lost no mass

Misunderstanding

Muscle Mass isn't lost with Limit Strength, Power, and Speed Training. This was addressed in a previous post.

You have the same amount of muscle mass, it is just denser that it was with Hypertrophy Training were the muscle are "Pumped Up".

It's similar to...

Losing Body Fat

Someone who loses body fat, doesn't really lose body fat. The number of fat cells are roughtly the same.

What occurs is the body fat cells shrink in size.

Another misleading statement is...

"Fat weight more than muscle."

A pound of fat weights as much as a pound of muscle.

What people mean is that a pound of muscle has more mass and a pound of muscle is much more dense.

1619959353950.png

"Functional Hypertrphy Strength"

The benefits of Custer Set Hypertophy Training is that it developes Functional Hypertrophy Strength; these athletes are just as strong as they look.

That is not the case with individual who focus solely on Traditional Bodybuilding/Hypertrophy; they aren't as strong as they appear to be.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom