all posts post new thread

Barbell Supplemental Forearm Work For PTTP For Baseball or Hockey or Golf or Handguns

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Benedictine Monk

Level 3 Valued Member
@Brett Jones This is a bit of a clever troll post so bear with me. I'm on PTTP (TGU is my press) to see if I can clean up several issues that seem to be a result of selective weakness more than actual dysfunction. My question involves cleaning up the remnants of what appeared to be "tennis" and "golfers" elbow (I know those aren't the technical terms).

I've been using various pieces of Iron Mind equipment as supplemental work twice a week (CoC grippers, Expand your hand bands, Dexterity Balls, IMTUG) but I may need to look at one or two additional pieces of equipment.

So, my choices are:

(1) More pinch grip or thumb intensive work (Pinch grip tools, Titan Telegraph Key)

(2) The Wrist Hammer for ulnar and radial deviation.

In your work with baseball, hockey and other athletes that use a bat or stick or club have you found any peculiar lower arm problems that have been cleaned up by working on ulnar and radial deviation? I am not an athlete who uses a bar, bat or club which is why I wouldn't be thinking of radial and ulnar deviation as a pre-existing weakeness, but I want to begin hand gun shooting and the top shooters are usually able to close a CoC #2 and work all aspects of their lower arms.

I find these in between problems are the most difficult to figure out. Therapists have cleared my joints so I'm gradually eliminating suspects.

@Brett Jones This is a bit of a clever troll post so bear with me. I'm on PTTP (TGU is my press) to see if I can clean up several issues that seem to be a result of selective weakness more than actual dysfunction. My question involves cleaning up the remnants of what appeared to be "tennis" and "golfers" elbow (I know those aren't the technical terms).

I've been using various pieces of Iron Mind equipment as supplemental work twice a week (CoC grippers, Expand your hand bands, Dexterity Balls, IMTUG) but I may need to look at one or two additional pieces of equipment.

So, my choices are:

(1) More pinch grip or thumb intensive work (Pinch grip tools, Titan Telegraph Key)

(2) The Wrist Hammer for ulnar and radial deviation.

In your work with baseball, hockey and other athletes that use a bat or stick or club have you found any peculiar lower arm problems that have been cleaned up by working on ulnar and radial deviation? I am not an athlete who uses a bar, bat or club which is why I wouldn't be thinking of radial and ulnar deviation as a pre-existing weakeness, but I want to begin hand gun shooting and the top shooters are usually able to close a CoC #2 and work all aspects of their lower arms.

I find these in between problems are the most difficult to figure out. Therapists have cleared my joints so I'm gradually eliminating suspects.
The 'wrist hammer' or equivalent DIY device is a great tool for doing wrist pronation's which are excellent rehab/prehab for elbow issues. As are properly done reverse wrist curls.

The 'wrist hammer' or equivalent DIY device is a great tool for doing wrist pronation's which are excellent rehab/prehab for elbow issues. As are properly done reverse wrist curls.

Yes, I'm beginning to think that these exercises are missing tools in my arsenal. I hope this isn't a copyright or advertising issue on the StrongFirst site (if it is: mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa), but this is the handy chart Iron Mind has on their site. I didn't realize until I looked at the chart that the Wrist Roller covers flexion and extension but the Wrist Reinforcer covers the other 4 types of motion, so that with 2 pieces of equipment I (theoretically) have covered six planes of motion.

leverage-bar-chart-grip-training-wrist-forearm.jpg_1576296708.jpg

With a weaver stick, wrist hammer, and/or sledge hammer you can hit almost every aspect of hand, wrist, and lower arm function and strength. Use your imagination. What ever movement causes discomfort that is what you need. When I first did wrist turns it was weak and hurt, but I worked thru it, and now it is strong, pain free, and a staple Prehab exercise.

You can buy or build a sledge, and a wrist hammer and weaver stick from a hardware store cheaper than to buy the Wrist Reinforcer. I guess if you give it a fancy name you can charge $69.95 for a few dollars worth of material and machining.

I always wanted to make a Titan Telegraph Key, it would be so cheap and easy, but I never did. Plate or block weight pinching is great. To really target the thumb, pinch without the index finger. Two hand plate pinch without the index finger is a staple grip lift of mine. Try the key pinch, or half penny pinch to really hit the hands in a different way. An implement for these can also be easy made.

I would refer you to Jedd Johnson for resources, but I love IronMind. I am handy, and have access to tools, equipment, and material, so when I see an implement I say "I can make that cheap and easy". I understand when people have to buy implements, but I do not pay someone to do something I can do. Grippers, I cannot make grippers, I have tried.

With a weaver stick, wrist hammer, and/or sledge hammer you can hit almost every aspect of hand, wrist, and lower arm function and strength. Use your imagination. What ever movement causes discomfort that is what you need. When I first did wrist turns it was weak and hurt, but I worked thru it, and now it is strong, pain free, and a staple Prehab exercise.

[snip]

I would refer you to Jedd Johnson for resources, but I love IronMind. I am handy, and have access to tools, equipment, and material, so when I see an implement I say "I can make that cheap and easy". I understand when people have to buy implements, but I do not pay someone to do something I can do. Grippers, I cannot make grippers, I have tried.

Geoff,

Thank you. This is great advice and very helpful. I am not a manual laborer, so its nice to know I'm not digging a sandpit to nowhere. Being a lifelong desk worker it was a bit of a rude awakening to realize how weak and damaged I'd let my lower arms become. I'm now racing the clock to make sure I end up with fully functional hands into old age and the advice you've given me is a very important piece of the puzzle.

I wonder sometimes if my aversion to a lot of grunt work tasks was more an instinctive fear of injury than an aversion to hard work per se. We will see in the coming months.

@Benedictine Monk ... both Geoff and I have mentioned Rice Buckets before. I have a big bucket/pail that I have filled with rice. You can use steel shot but it's very expensive compared to rice. There are a wide variety of exercises one can perform. But basically you get your hand into the material and open and close it in various directions as well as rotate the wrist. It is very therapeutic. My hands take a real beating from climbing and I find this extremely helpful at times. Geoff also recommends the rice bucket as a chalk substitute to keep your mitts dry when working with the iron. Great idea!

Try KB Wrist Turns, and Wrist Deadlifts if you already have kettlebells. They can easily be added to the end of a practice.

For elbow pain exercises that cross the joint work best, like strict hammer curls, Zottman curls, and reverse curls. Reverse wrist curl+reverse curl is a great complex. Also do tons of band hand extensions, wrist turns, wrist rotations(weaver stick, choked sledge, wrist hammer, and rice/sand bucket, and the rice bucket exercises work great. I have a used protein powder tub 3/4 filled with pea gravel. I dig my hands in and open them up and lift the container with the pressure of opening the hand to hold the weight. Add more weight to increase resistance.

Sledgehammer finger walking is brutal, and sledgehammer chain twists are one of my favorites. The sledgehammer is a very versatile tool. Diesel Crew – Muscle Building, Athletic Development, Strength Training, Grip Strength » DieselCrew.com » Dessert For Your Workout – 5 Finishers to Work Your Grip

I forgot about the sledgehammer finger walking... I used to do that a lot. What a great exercise. You can also load a sledgehammer handle with weight plates to up the ante.

image.jpeg @pet' A rack mounted wrist roller works much better. You can use a lot more weight, without tiring out your shoulders. Using the collar of an Olympic barbell in a rack works well also. You can wind up a weight on a rope, or a band. Don't forget to go in both directions.

Pack the shoulders, stand hardstyle, and keep the arms straight. It's a hand, wrist, and lower arm exercise.

Mine is sandblasted 1 1/2" sch.160 pipe. I use two 1" bolts as pins in the top holes of my power rack, and stand on a box, so each rep is a long as possible. I use a loading pin to add weight.

I made my own wrist roller from scaffolding pole ,paracord and couple of heavy duty clips . I can safely attach my kettlebells to it and given that I roll with my arms down it takes a lot of pressure of shoulders
That and my sledgehammer are my favourite grip toys

Hello,

You can also try hand strengtheners:

Multiples sets of high reps (during watching tv for example) work both grip and arm flexors.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom