all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Surf-related WTH effect

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Double

Level 1 Valued Member
Just reporting a pleasant (big) surprise. My local surf spot, Ocean Beach in San Francisco, demands very high paddling and short-burst cardio fitness. At my age (52), I usually start swimming hard August 1 to prepare for fall/winter. Due to pandemic, it’s been strictly ROP for months (recently with density progression on clean and press ladders). First real surf, a few days ago, and, as Pavel would say ... What the Heck? Best opening day fitness in years ...

As a former surfer (SC, HB, SB) that’s really interesting. I would never expect much. Could you elaborate a little? I’ve never surfed OB, but I had a college buddy who lived in SF who did. Respect.

Are you mixing pull-ups as well? I remember my paddle strength felt super strong when I was doing pull-ups with bodyweight and weighted.

Yeah, some pull-ups, though not with the same discipline as ROP.
As a former surfer (SC, HB, SB) that’s really interesting. I would never expect much. Could you elaborate a little? I’ve never surfed OB, but I had a college buddy who lived in SF who did. Respect.
Well, the big days haven’t yet arrived of course, but the notable things were: shoulder strength, of course, which is a big deal at OB because we paddle so much, in such thick wetsuits, that the recovery motion from each stroke is almost more fatiguing than the pulling motion. Also, a solid feeling in the lats during the pull phase of the paddle, from the pull aspect of swings, snatches, cleans. A stability in the glutes and back in the arching position that supports the paddle; and then a sort of lightbulb moment on the metabolic side: the pace of exertion, while paddling out through consistent rows of white water, is very like a swings grind as I’ve been doing them: 15-20 seconds hard, 10-15 seconds rest, for 5-10 minutes. (10-12 swings every 30 seconds). Caveat, again, is: these aren’t the big days of November-Feb, so the endurance component isn’t acute yet. But that’s what early season training is all about.

Yeah, some pull-ups, though not with the same discipline as ROP.

Well, the big days haven’t yet arrived of course, but the notable things were: shoulder strength, of course, which is a big deal at OB because we paddle so much, in such thick wetsuits, that the recovery motion from each stroke is almost more fatiguing than the pulling motion. Also, a solid feeling in the lats during the pull phase of the paddle, from the pull aspect of swings, snatches, cleans. A stability in the glutes and back in the arching position that supports the paddle; and then a sort of lightbulb moment on the metabolic side: the pace of exertion, while paddling out through consistent rows of white water, is very like a swings grind as I’ve been doing them: 15-20 seconds hard, 10-15 seconds rest, for 5-10 minutes. (10-12 swings every 30 seconds). Caveat, again, is: these aren’t the big days of November-Feb, so the endurance component isn’t acute yet. But that’s what early season training is all about.
You ever get to Mavericks?

Not really. I paddled out there once on a moderate day, ate it on my first wave and decided I wasn’t up for the risk. Other than that I’ve only surfed the smallish inside days there that don’t count as Mavericks

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom