all posts post new thread

Surovetsky 9-week Log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
I have a meet on November 10, 2018, and worked back to starting the Surovetsky routine outlined in PTTP Professional (and also now available elsewhere online), following Pavel's guidance about number picking.

My 1RM 162.5 kg or 358 lbs, set on June 23, 2018 and the current NJ state record for 66 kg, raw, M60-64, USAPL. Per Pavel, I am using 340 lbs. , 95% of 358, as my max for the purpose of being able to plug into Surovetsky's numbers.

Grip shorthand: r/u = mixed grip, right under and left over. l/u is the opposite, and my favored grip.

Eventually, I'll switch to heavy day on Saturdays, but because of several weekends of upcoming travel, heavy days will sometimes be Thursdays or Fridays.

Week 1:
Day 1
- Volume Day, calls for 70% x 5 reps x 5 sets, done on Tuesday.

Warmup
none

Work sets:
340 * .7 = 238, rounded up and used 245. Did a set about every 4 minutes, soft touch-and-go so that the weights barely make a sound when hitting the ground per the book. Grip as double over, r/u, l/u, r/u, l/u.

Done in about 20 minutes total.

Day 2 - Heavy Day, calls for 81% x 3, 85% x 2, 88.5% x 1 x 3. 81% is 275.4, used 275. 85% is 289, used 295; 88.5% is 301, used 305. Done on Friday.

Warmup
245 x 1 - double over

Work sets:
275 x 3 - r/u - standup reset
295 x 2 - l/u - standup reset
305 x 1, 1, 1 - l/u - about 1-minute rests.

Assistance: trap-bar DL: 245 x 2, 295 x 5, 3 - quick reset at bottom

30 minutes workout time, 20 for DL, 10 for TBDL

Plan for next week: Volume = 250 (72.5%) x 5 x 5, Heavy = same weights and first two sets but 3 doubles instead of 3 singles - that should be fun!

Anyone using Surovetsky's Powerlifting Programs | WODdrive.com should note that both workouts for Week 2 are _WRONG_ - they're printed with the same numbers as week 1, but the correct numbers are in PTTP Pro (or just look at what I wrote a sentence ago).

-S-

Last edited:
@Abdul Rasheed, assistance exercises are a new thing for me, really just started them in a last few weeks. Best to work on the thing itself.

The trap bar DL sometimes helps get a better start off the ground for a conventional deadlifter.

I looked at my bar, and I wrote down the wrong weight, so I'll go back and edit - it was 295, not 275 (not that anyone but me really cares ...), and 245 for the warmup set, not 225. I'm using some 55 lb. plates and am still not used to figuring them into my calculations.

-S-

Week 2 - by the book:

Wednesday: volume day, 255 x 5 x 5 but this time, new set every 2:30 so almost half the lifting time, half the rest periods.

Saturday: as last week but doubles at 305, bit different grip selection.

Next week sounds fun - heavy day goes from 305 to 320 lb. for 3 singles, then the following week for 3 doubles.

NB: Have built an extra week in for travel - heading to Italy in early October, and to an SFB in Pittsburgh the third weekend, will undoubtedly have to push some things back a few days one way or the other.

I used this exact program to take my deadlift from 140kg to three reds (170kg). No belt, no chalk.

Highly recommend doing this program by the book.

How did this program work out for you, Steve?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom