all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Surprise days

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Paul Sellers

Level 5 Valued Member
I hope it's not just me but does anyone else experience this;

Most days you pretty much get what you expect - you know how much you have in the tank and how your practice will go.

And then on other days...

You're at work or wherever, you are itching to get hold of some iron but when you finally put hand to bell you get a surprise. You discover that your muscles have turned to wet noodles and your CNS has all the power of a 3W bulb. It's like someone slipped you some kryptonite in your coffee...

Then on other days you don't really feel up to it but you turn up anyway - because you got to turn up, right, Dan John? And as you start to lift you get another surprise. Your muscles have turned into Vibranium cords driven by a CNS powered by a dwarf star.

Today I've been a 3W bulb. Only managed 6 x 10 x double 24kg cleans and 4 x 4 x double 24kg presses. And I'm done. I've been looking forward to that all day :(

Is it just me?

Definitely not just you, I had that happen to me both ways in the last 2 weeks"

Tuesday last week: Dragging tail all day, tired, dreading picking up the bells but....you turn up because you got to. Thinking to myself maybe it's use a bell down kind of day......ok, well lets try my normal routine first. Next thing I know 15 minutes later I completed my normal S&S without even trying to work fast. Plenty still in the tank so I do some C&P ladders and set a new PR.

Wednesday this week: The complete opposite, I ate well, slept well, ready to hammer the iron into submission. So I grab that bell by it's soon to be wrecked horns with my Strong Arm....and it doesn't move. LOL Took 45 minutes to complete my normal S&S routine. Long rest times between sets and, not even enough grip strength to tear a wet noodle. But I completed it!

Definitely been there! One mental trick I like for the 3W days ( I can't remember where I got this) is to try some things I haven't done in a while, or brand new things. That way I don't have any expectations. Then as soon as you find your self going "huh that was pretty cool" smile and call it a day. Don't chase it.

Happened yesterday, I just didn't have it walking into the gym and everything I touched practically lifted itself. Turned my mood right around.

Ya, some of the best training sessions are the ones where you just don't feel like it.

I've found over the years I've learned a hell of a lot from Dan. I suppose you've got to know when your body knows best and not push it for the sake of it and get injured. No doubt there is someone with a degree that might be able to put a name to the phenomenon; contrary-itis or some such?

On Tuesday I had planned to work up to a max Get up. I did: 30lbx3ea, 40lbx3ea, 50lbx2ea, 60x2ea, 70lbx1ea,80lbx1ea, 40kgx1ea, and then lost interest. My low back, and hamstrings felt tight, and the tall sit position did not feel solid.

I wandered around and hit some pull-ups, and grip stuff. I felt pretty discouraged at the time. The next day I looked at my training log, and realized I hit two PR's, and in highensight it was actually a solid practice.

@J Petersen and Mark Limbaga - I like those viewpoints especially the bit about the mediocre. I have my strong and stronger days like everyone else and pretty much know as I address the iron what any given practice will bring - it's the incongruity between my reasonable expectation and what my body actually delivers that cooks my noodle. Doesn't happen often but when it does - hmmm. Regardless - never give in.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom