all posts post new thread

Barbell Surprising results!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Cearball

Level 6 Valued Member
So last time I tested my max was in November 2015.

80kg BW

Squat 110kg

Bench 75kg
failed on 85kg

Deadlift 140kg
Failed on 150kg

So lately decided to take two months off from training all I did was focus on stretching, eating healthier & sleeping more.

Today was my first day back training & I decided to do a conservative max on the big three just to see how much strength I had lost.

82kg BW

Squat 100kg
failed on 110kg

Bench 82.5kg (by accident thought I had 72.5kg on the bar)

Deadlift 150kg (this was a grind but not too bad.)

I am really surprised by this!

I have hit all these weights before but I really though I would of lost about 10kg on bench & squat & maybe 20 on the deadlift.

Any explanation as to why/how this happened?

It really got me to thinking that there is something wrong with my training, maybe I cant recover from what I am doing or something

Very interesting observation. I think it is an interesting question whether the amount of training actually allows you to improve or whether you just get tired.
How about starting with a minimal amount of volume and intensity and see how well you are doing and only adding volume when necessary.

Personally I find that I do better with less training, but it can be hard not to train. Another hobby is useful.

I had plateaued before hand for quite some time, especially on the deadlift.

Cut my training down to 2 times a week with lower intensity but higher volume as an experiment before the Nov max attempt.

I do normally 2 martial art sessions 2 x a week aswell as S&C 2 x a week. the martial arts are normally Karate & Judo.

you weight 80kg and squat around 100kg, with proper training, healthy male is able to achieve around 1,3 -1,5 bdw back squat in a year of training. Novice is someone who can recover from workout fast (i.e around 2 days) and improve. Interm. lifter should be able to squat 1,5bdw , bench his own bdw and deadlift around double bdw. - also recovery usually takes longer, so adding weight to the bar takes more time (weekly not daily). Advanced - adding weight takes month for example. Most people for example use 531 when they are not even near level to be able to use it properly (i.e at least double bdw squat). That's just my opinion...usually linear progression is all that's needed.

You know could be having a good kip, good food and allowing your central nervous system, digestive system, hepatic, endocrine and everything else to have some r and r.

you weight 80kg and squat around 100kg, with proper training, healthy male is able to achieve around 1,3 -1,5 bdw back squat in a year of training. Novice is someone who can recover from workout fast (i.e around 2 days) and improve. Interm. lifter should be able to squat 1,5bdw , bench his own bdw and deadlift around double bdw. - also recovery usually takes longer, so adding weight to the bar takes more time (weekly not daily). Advanced - adding weight takes month for example. Most people for example use 531 when they are not even near level to be able to use it properly (i.e at least double bdw squat). That's just my opinion...usually linear progression is all that's needed.

I believe I barely have beginner strength levels true but I have been trying to get a 2x bodyweight deadlift for over 2 years.

Linear progression or arguably any progression stopped a while ago on my deadlift.

1. This algorithm is myth; a general observation, at best
2. That he, in your opinion, uses "novice loads", does not make him a novice lifter, physiologically
3. You asked him no other training or lifestyle questions, but placed him in an experience category (which was my reason for asking the question)

Way off the original post now...

The squat is/was a relatively new addition to my training, I spent most of my time going after the deadlift. My plan was to switch over to the squat after I hit a 2xbw dead.

However after I plateaued on the deadlift for awhile I added in the zercher squat & back squats (when I had access to a rack) as I didnt want to spend the same amount of time on the squat as I had on deadlifts.
Felt I may aswell try to drive my squat up while simultaneously deadlifting.

Looking at training log I have been squatting for about 11 months.

Deadlifting for 2 years 3 months.

Training for maximal strength soley 3 years 4 months.

Deadlifts & squats were involved in this training but the mix of exercises was much greater. didnt have a barbell for some of it.

I am not going to be deadlifting again for awhile but I can find some older videos & put them up in a day or 2.

This thread was started more for what I felt was unusual results after a 2 month lay off more than anything.

@Cearball, your results are unusual but not altogether surprising. Perhaps your weight gain is also muscle gain - that would explain your surprisingly better bench and DL, and since you were right to expect to lose a little, the fact that your squat went down 10 kg is no surprise at all. What you did, unless you need to go out and squat a new max tomorrow, keep on doing it.

That you were overtrained is one possible explanation, but we must also say that your skill seems solid and clearly has stuck with you despite not training it for a couple of month - that's great.

You are beginner in weights. Everything you do improves lifting.
No, and no.

you weight 80kg and squat around 100kg, with proper training, healthy male is able to achieve around 1,3 -1,5 bdw back squat in a year of training.
No, not necessarily.

Novice is someone who can recover from workout fast (i.e around 2 days) and improve.
No, not necessarily.

Interm. lifter should be able to squat 1,5bdw , bench his own bdw and deadlift around double bdw. - also recovery usually takes longer, so adding weight to the bar takes more time (weekly not daily).

Advanced - adding weight takes month for example.
For example, yes; for everyone, or for our OP, we don't have enough information to know, but an advanced lifter isn't going to test a max once a month, anyway, so ...

Most people for example use 531 when they are not even near level to be able to use it properly (i.e at least double bdw squat). ...usually linear progression is all that's needed.
Some people never, for example, use 531. A linear progression works for some people, some of the time. Not everyone makes progress on every schedule, and almost no one makes progress on the same schedule forever.

That's just my opinion
Yes.

Perhaps there is a language issue here, but @taedoju, you have offered a lot of generalizations and assumed they apply - some might, some might not.

-S-

For that weight, I'd like you to watch your video - when you start to lower yourself towards the bar, your back looks good, but you get to a certain point, can't get any lower _that_ way, so you compromise your back. Better hip and hamstring mobility would allow you to get all the way down there with good DL posture and execute a safer, more powerful lift.

Let me know if you can or cannot see what I'm talking about in your video.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom